News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Lambo Kit lp640 mr2

Started by asn, 02, January, 2012, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asn

hi all i have started to fit a lambo kit and pre-pair the mr2 for the kit

after speaking with people i was going to cut the car behind the seats and move back 10" so it has the correct wheel base but i have been told that no insurance company will insure my kit if i do this so i will have to move the engine back 10" on the sub frame and weld some new suspension struts in. joy this is going to be fun anyone know were i can get aload of sheet metal cheep i will be grateful as all the company's round here are crap and dont reply
i have cut back the back part of the car to fit the kit and move the engine

the first thing is the kit come in one so im going to reinforce the kit with carbon fibre so i wont have to make such a complicated frame to hold it, im hoping to only put the frame on the realy weak points ie front back ,roof, and sills
2nd the interia is left hand drive not right to i will be cutting it and using model clay or something to get it looking right hand
the fuel cap looks wrong as its round so will have to change that

i want these wheels so if any one knows of any were cheep i will be grateful

i have this steering wheel cover - this is the inner section of the steering wheel that i bought

here is how the car looks after i finished it hair cut

now im just twiddling my thumbs till the kit arrives next month

'The Gaffer'

Hi asn, Its great that you want to share your build story with us, but it is important that you use the 'add image to post' feature on our site. This helps pages load faster and saves a little of our bandwidth.

See here http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=253.msg1535#msg1535 for how to add images, you will first have to download them to your PC before using this feature. I have edited your post to show how ideally it should look.

Once uploaded, you can click the thumbnails and they will open in another page in original size.

Good luck with the build 8)

Peggyontherun

Welcome asn going to be a great build  :)

Moleman

Welcome to the club.
Hope it all goes well for you.  :)

asn

thank you all for welcoming me

David H

paintman

Nice to have you aboard! ;)     Tony

asn

hi all I need some advice. I have been looking for days now about stretching a mr2 by 10" instead of moving the engine and suspension back 10" can i do this in the uk and get insured. I'm not changing the name of the car from mr2 to a murcy so wont be getting the vic test or sva check  as all i have to say to the insurer is its been changed to a kit car, the outer shell
Any good advice would be much appreciated

Peggyontherun

@ ASN - my lambo was stretched in the UK somewhere by the previous owner and a sound job was done to it mine was stretched by nearly 2 foot and all seam welded back savage job done as for the UK i dont know much about the laws there but here in Ireland one you have a NCT (National Car Test) certificate this make sure the car is road worthy and drivable the insurer will insure the car then here in Ireland we only have one Insurance company that will insure "kit car" compared to the UK the market is greater id say some of the lad on here will guide you in the right direction but im pretty sure you will have to get a test done in the UK cause you are changing the structure of the car stretching, cutting the roof off i stand to be corrected.

Cheers

Sean 

asn

what a knitemare i have had with getting my crate shipped over the pond i was told that  they would make my crate 10ftx7ftx3ft and weigh 550lbs (by cutting the shell in half to save me money in stead of being 15x7x3)  which i told the Currier it was but when it was getting picked up the crate was 11.8x8.8x4 which is double in cube measurement  and 948lbs so now im getting well over charged and fined because of the idiots of the kit car company not making the box the right size or telling me the right size the whole process from the first day i ordered the kit has been like communicating with a 9 year old

fullpint

:o did they quote you on paper? If so try putting a claim in. Worth a try even if it gets a little frustration out of you...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: asn on 15, January, 2012, 09:35:27 AM
what a knitemare i have had with getting my crate shipped over the pond i was told that  car kit inc would make my crate 10ftx7ftx3ft and weigh 550lbs (by cutting the shell in half to save me money in stead of being 15x7x3)  which i told the Currier it was but when it was getting picked up the crate was 11.8x8.8x4 which is double in cube measurement  and 948lbs so now im getting well over charged and fined because of the idiots of the kit car company not making the box the right size or telling me the right size the whole process from the first day i ordered the kit has been like communicating with a 9 year old

Agreed, if all was in writing you have a good case to claim compensation. Lesson learnt though I'm afraid, especially as you were not happy with service from day one. I just hate cowboys.

Hope you get it sorted.

asn

I can't be bothered as I know they wont give me anything for there mistake i do have all the emails tho, I just pray they have packed it all and packed it tight or i will end up with loads of broken bits I guess I can  take a video of opening up the crate when it comes, how can i put the vid on here tho

Peggyontherun

There some comwboys that car inc make sure to check everything in the crate when it get delivered and dont sign for it if any thing is broke lay all the parts out and make a list and if there is anything missing dont sign for it its your hard earned money so follow these steps and you will be ok as for them screwing up the size of the crate print off all the e-mails and e-mail them back and tell them to refund you the differance in the size of the crate and if they dont get onto Madmechanics.com and put up a post about them.

asn

yer but the Currier is my own as they were total useless at trying to send it and i have already paid for the kit

asn

does an on know of a place i can get a windscreen made as i have been told a Nissan Maxima window can fit but they don't sell that car here in England so i cant get that windscreen

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: asn on 15, January, 2012, 01:51:34 PM
I guess I can  take a video of opening up the crate when it comes, how can i put the vid on here tho

Take video, create youtube account, upload video to youtube, post link on here and your video will magically appear. Look forward to it.

Peggyontherun

Hi Asn,
           Go to any breakers/scrap yard and you will find a Nissan Maxima car try Douglas Valley Breakers LTD as far as i know there the biggest in the UK.

asn

my kit has hit England so i should get it in the next few days
what should i do i have printed a list of everything that should be there  but what happens if something is missing do i still sign as it was me that sorted out the Currier  not the kit car company please give me some advice  :o

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: asn on 30, January, 2012, 05:07:02 PM
my kit has hit England so i should get it in the next few days
what should i do i have printed a list of everything that should be there  but what happens if something is missing do i still sign as it was me that sorted out the Currier  not the kit car company please give me some advice  :o

As far as missing parts goes all you can do is sign for the delivery as unexamined or unchecked - It would be unfair to expect the courier to wait while you checked every nut and bolt. The same will apply if the package's look damaged in any way - you can refuse the delivery or sign for delivery as unexamined or unchecked.

I would hope that your supplier would send on any missing parts as long as you informed them immediately.

asn

thanks gaffer i will do that then

asn

well all duty's paid and it was allot to get the kit over here in the end
well i looked at getting a better place to build my kit but after all the thinking and looking i have bought all the materials to build my own shed garage which i will build on Monday here

'The Gaffer'

And so it begins, please feel free to post up a build progress report with pics. Good luck with the build.

asn

:(

asn

me and Paul spent half the day sanding theses interior panels down getting ready for making them out of carbon fibre , also chose to do them in my house wile watching a si fi film ha ha it was to cold out side i loved being inside tho

'The Gaffer'

Dont blamr you for working inside but I bet your vacuum took a pounding :)

PS I think you need to set your youtbe vid settings to public for that clip.

asn

yer im hovering every chance i get gaffer here are some more interior im sanding and getting ready to build up and fill the imperfections

asn

so much sanding it will be worth it in the end

asn

i have to swop this around and make it right hand not left hand wish me look as this part scares me lol

asn

'The Gaffer'

asn

thanks gaffer i was thinking no one was on here as no one ever puts any thing lol :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: asn on 16, February, 2012, 08:04:18 AM
thanks gaffer i was thinking no one was on here as no one ever puts any thing lol :D

We are a quiet lot on here sometimes, especially out of season. Your kit is not for the purists but your thread has been read over 570 times, Peggyontherun's Lambo thread has been read over 5400 times so there is definitely interest in what you are doing.

Look forward to an update :)

Peggyontherun

asn

hi peg i sent you a email did you get it

asn

after looking at the original doors my door cards are wrong so i had to move the round speaker hole and change the arm rest

this is what it should and will look like you can see the speaker is lower and the arm rest is different also has a bit that the small speaker sits in

I marked out  and measured were things should really be was scared at this point in case i cut the wrong part out

ha ha clare will say something about this picture i needed a object (plate) to have the right angels on to counter sink the speaker hole

all sprayed ready to make my carbon fibre one

Peggyontherun

Hi Asn no e-mail recieved can you send it again ? Any luck on the lambo air bag part ??

Cheers

Sean

asn

@peg
i will look at it next week but what i got sent is very bent so i will try but it may be not doable i sent the email again

asn

well im all set to make a new steering wheel piece as the ones i got were so warped and bent there useless and surprise surprise the kit car company wont return my emails now or just say they will look into it  on all the issues but i get nothing now, any way im making new ones from clay foam card and what ever, today so i can send one to my pal peg as he wants one wish me look report back later

asn

all done just have to wait now for stuff to set so if anyone wants lambo steering wheel pieces tell me