+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Mev exocet lightweight build

Started by Quantum owner, 04, March, 2012, 05:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stupott901

Looks really good and some real progress happening, how much longer do you think till you are on the road?

stu

fullpint

Coming along nicely mate but where is the 'Stig' going?

Quantum owner

Quote from: stupott901 on 17, July, 2012, 11:01:46 PM
Looks really good and some real progress happening, how much longer do you think till you are on the road?

stu

The plan is to get everything mocked up by the end of august strip it apart clean the frame and paint it. Then put it all back together hopefully be able to do a couple of track days around october time then sort the bits out for iva then iva it around feb/march time ready for spring.

Quantum owner

Quote from: fullpint on 18, July, 2012, 06:44:48 PM
Coming along nicely mate but where is the 'Stig' going?

Thanks ive not idea where the stig as gone my dad uses the garge so have 2 sperate keys where the other set is couldn't tell you

Quantum owner

Day 17

Finally mounted the rear lights made 4 L brackets mounted from the frame for the fog and reverse. With them done mounted the stop/tail indicator on the back of the cycle wings

With that done tempory routed the wiring to the back lights will have to get some clips to secure them

Also the wires i cut out should save some weight just in wiring

Quantum owner

Day18

Made a bracket that bolts to the abs sensor holes then bolted the wing stay to it and with this way you could still retain the abs

Found a packet of large p clips and routed the loom for the lights

With that done attempteed to start the car. Tempory fitted some fuel lines which were from the donor.

First thing check for fuel no fuel swapped pipes around and fixed that.
Then check for a live to the coil packs no live trace it back to a dodgy ignition connections with that fixed tryed to start it no luck.

Check for a spark ok removed sparks plugs 2 covered in oil cleaned them up still not firing. Adjust the crank angle sensor and
bingo engine started straight up and runs sweet as it did 4 months ago.

With is starting now and a proper manual for the mx5 managed to get the fuel gauage, rev clock, most of the instrument symbols but oil pressure and backing light not working thing the oil pressure switch is faulty.

Got to finish the front loom, fit a few more things like mirros, header tank and a few other things then strip it down to paint the frame.

fullpint

:o now that is a lot of spare wire, got to be a good 2kg saved  :)
And you have power  8) well done mate. Always worth doing a check before the build is finished. Nothing worse than tracing a fault after all the body work is on..

Quantum owner

Day 19

Another order to car builders solution turned up on thursday so had plenty to get on with.

Mounted the header tank, air filter and cold air feed

Will make a bracket up to attach the end of the cold air feed pipe to it.

Then got on with the wiring and bolted the ecu in to place

only wires going down the n/s are the indicators and map sensor wires everything else will run down the o/s

Just the o/s to finish to finish of the wiring, then mount fuel tank and exhaust then ready to strip back down to paint the frame.

Quantum owner

Sorry for lack off updates but been busy finished mocking up the last bits then stripped it all down to prep the frame.

Its now in paint got to flip it upside down to do the bottom of the bars then will paint the rest in black then couple of layers of lacque over it to give it the shine then put it all back together.

The colour should lighten up a bit when the lacquer is applied.

stupott901

fullpint

I was just going to ask 'Why have you not painted all the frame work'?  You have answered it. Look really nice in that colour  8)

Quantum owner

Thanks i wanted to get all the holes drilled in the frame before painting the frame so to minimse scratching it. The laqcue should make the paint a little lighter but how it will look when finished just got to wait and see.

Quantum owner

Been a while since the last update but since the last post flipped the frame upside down to paint the underside of the frame and also painted the floor bars in black. With it upside down decided to rivet the floor on ran a bead of silcone and dipped each rivet in waxoil to prevent it from rusting.

Got a few marks in the frame so will have to give it a final layer of colour them a couple of layers of lacquer then got to bolt everything back up which hopefully will only take a weekend.

Quantum owner

Painting all done hope you all like it i certainly do.

stupott901

I am liking the colour, just need to put it all back together now

fullpint

Coming along just fine that is. Are you using 2-pack paint or just a rattle can?

Quantum owner

Im using 2-pack paint first time ive used it sprayed a few other cars but in celous paint instead.

Quantum owner

So with the holes drilled for the fuel and brake pipes 2 of my mates come over to lift the frame back onto the ppf didn't take to long got it all bolted down some pics

Finished just in time for the f1 so after the race fitted the rad, horn's side panels, and bulkhead panels

Hopefully with a good day next weekend will have it mostly finished keep you updated.

'The Gaffer'

Great progress there.

Are the 2 front springs the same rating? Just wondered as different colours.

Quantum owner

Same spring but just painted the one they are only resting in there to stop the suspension collapsing not on best condition so was thinking of getting a set of gaz coilovers and adjustable dampers.

Quantum owner

But another good day on it mounted the steering collum, brake servo/master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, pedals, air intake and filter, handbrake cabels, side repeaters and attached the rear wiring loom.

Pics

Steering collum and pedals

Brake servo/ master cylinder and air intake system

Rear loom and side repeaters

Same place on the other side.

Hopefully tomorrow will have the loom all in place, lights, and start on mounting the body work keep you updated.

fullpint

Coming along nicely mate. Can't be long before you are able to turn the motor over... 8)

Quantum owner

Hopefully by the end of the month need to get some solid fuel lines and rubber pipe first but the wiring loom should be all finished tomorow. Just need wheel spacers, seats, harness, shocks or coilovers, new tyres and everything else i already have.

Quantum owner

Another  day more progress.

So first job was to attach the rear lights with that done painted the boot floor and covered the edge in edging trim

it also acts as a way to secure the boot cover to be bolted onto the floor using 4 rivnuts.

With that done mocked up a number plate (off my other kit car) put it in place and marked out the holes for the no plate lights, joined the the 2 sets of lights wiring together to join up to the exsiting loom and glued it to the back of the cover.
also trimed down the thickness of the boot cover and added edging stuff provided in the kit around the bottom

Mounted the front end, headlights, indicators, layed the loom in the right position and started connecting everything up

Decided to bin my fiberglass attempt at a dash tray and made one out of alluminium just need to get it welded up on the joins and bolted in the ecu

With getting bored with wiring put the boot cover in place and roll bar and placed the bonnet on looking like a exocet now

Not many jobs left hoping to go for a track day at llandow on the 20th november for a bit of a shake down and a bit of fun.

Bulldog Bri

Count down to Llandow... Hows it going?

8)

Moleman

fullpint

Almost looks drivable now but I'm sure you have a few jobs to do yet. Get up the good work mate  8)

stupott901

'The Gaffer'

Quantum owner

Sorry for lack of updates been busy over the past few weeks and money is a bit tight after putting my mx5 on the road 1k just  for insurance but have been busy on it.

Another update allbut a small one. Got the car up of the ground and strip the brakes ready for the wing stays and wheel spacers.

So with them off painted the rear callipers and carriers and also the wing stays

Found a way of mounting the clocks (well i didn't my father did) 
pictures explains better than what i will so here they are

The base is also attached to the cover underneath to stop it lifting up.

2 brackets attached to the pod bolts to the steering collum bolts.

It's not perfect but without the seat in place i can't really allign everything up so will wait till i get the seats in first.

Quantum owner

Another update

Removed the tyres off the wheel last week and preped them ready for painting and layed 3 layers of primer ready for the colour

With my coilovers arrived last week painted the shock top mounts and fitted to the car

with them on could bolt down the roll bar and attach the fuel tank cover

Quantum owner

Most up to date update

Removed the front wheel hub to bolt the wing stay on behind it had to knock of the abs ring off to be able to clear the bolts that hold the stay on. With the stay on rebuilt the rest on the suspension and fitted the coilovers

With the front done moved on to the back to finish that of

Made a bracket to hold the clutch pipe on will do a detailed post on how to flare the pipes for the brake and clutch pipes at the weekend as some people are having problems with that.

Also had time to paint the alloys with 4 layers of gold and 3 layers of lacquer

Just need to order the tyres wait for the wheel spacers to be able to pick up and fit the wheel arches hopefully not long till i will be able to drive it.

Another update will be ready tomorrow don't think it will be ready for llandow but try to get it done for a shake down ready for iva.

fullpint

Wow mate you have been busy.. Coming along at a good rate of knots now.. 8)

Bulldog Bri

These updates were waiting for. great progress  ;D

8)

Quarrycars

Nice build, thanks for the updates.

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

Almost there mate. shame it's not ready for llandow at the end of this month. I will be there this sat so if your not far from there?  your welcome to jump in the passenger seat for afew laps to get to know the circuit. Though I'm thinking I should be taking a boat instead of a car.  :P

Quantum owner

Quote from: Moleman on 22, November, 2012, 08:43:21 PM
Almost there mate. shame it's not ready for llandow at the end of this month. I will be there this sat so if your not far from there?  your welcome to jump in the passenger seat for afew laps to get to know the circuit. Though I'm thinking I should be taking a boat instead of a car.  :P

Well not done an awful lot since the last update have finished the brake lines and fixed my aero catches but apart from that not a lot done have to fix my mx5 and the hardtop i got to sell also looking for a unit with a mate of mine to have a place to work on our cars and sell a few etc. But looking at the weather tomorrow am glad it's not ready thanks for the passenger ride though but not going to make it hopefully will be ready by the next track day after x-mass.

Just got to fit my wheel spacers, fit tyres to wheels then to car, mount cycle wings, fuel tank and fuel lines, finish of wiring then seats and belts then a chek over before it goes to RTR for the iva can't be bothered to deal with the dvla.

Moleman

No probs. Looks like it will be wet one tomorrow anyway.  :)

Quantum owner

After a bit of a break with lack of funds setting up my buisnes, xmas and forgetting about this place i should carry on the updates.

Well out with the quantum sold to a mates friend down in cardiff so with the sale of that gave me the funds to carry on the with the build

So managed to get back on the build today, bleed the brakes, fitted pair of lower ball joints, drilled out all the snapped split pins and fit new ones.

Also fitted the wheel spacers and my wheels know they have tyres on so decided to get it on the ground and take a few photos

It sitting so low that i can't actualy get it out of the garage opps need to adjust the suspension to raise it up a bit.

Jobs left to do fit cycle wings, bleed the clutch, fit fuel lines/tank/filler neck, seats finish of the wiring and then all the small pieces for the iva not a lot left to do.