News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

A Roof - well, sort of

Started by YellaBelly, 05, September, 2012, 06:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Spent a few more 'tinkering' hours over the last couple of nights. Having decided that now I have a windscreen, I would like a roof too, I thought I'd have a go at a half-roof for the Locost. Nothing too fancy but at least it will give some protection in 'changeable' weather :)

Sems OK up to about 60mph, flaps at the sides a little but not too bad.

Need to start work on the doors next, see if I can't get them ready for Exeter.

It seems people are having issues seeing the pictures...AGAIN!...I think I'm vexed when it comes to adding piccies on here :(

I'll have to get Phil to have a look again.

Bulldog Bri

Sorry John, can't get any pics up of thwe roof, and v Interested to see it.  :(

8)

YellaBelly

Here we go again! I had this issue a while back with pictures, I'll have to check with Phil to see what's up.

I think I'll have to put future pictures up on Photobucket or something. I always have issues on the forum with them :(

Edit:  Should be OK now :)

'The Gaffer'

Pics sorted now :)

Nice roof JB, if you added some very small perspex screens to the sides of the windscreen, you would be surprised as to how much wind is deflected away from the inside of the car.

YellaBelly

You read my mind Phil :D

That's next, just need to source some hinges (friction types needed really).

evolution

Morning John,
I have pin hinges on mine. Gives quick on/off. Aren't friction hinges for permanent fitting only?
Steve

YellaBelly

Yes, I want to use lift-off hinges but I don't know how the screens will stay where they are put? i.e. at whatever angle I turn them, same as on the Cobra Reps.

The hinges I intend to use will have the same fitting on the doors when I get around to making them.

I suppose I could fit some sort of stay on the lower edges of the screens so they can be set at any angle?

JB

evolution

2 hinges on the windscreen upright, 2 popper fasteners on top of door or wherever you fabricate window to adjoin and maybe an elasticated fastener around the cage

YellaBelly

I was thinking of the wind deflectors rather than full side screens chap.

I suppose I could always get some lift-off hinges and replace the top pin with a long bolt and fit a nylock to give it some friction? Or maybe fit one hinge slightly off the vertical to make it tighter?

evolution

Sorry John, got a little mixed up with what you were after. If it's just deflectors you'd want a permanent attachment.

Grin-a-lot

How about a grub screw onto the pin just to bite and hold it?

stupott901

Hey that is looking pretty good

Dixie

Great job.

This is exactly what I want for the Cobra.  What material have you used and where did you get it?

I'll swap you some 6mm Polycarb for some help making me one!!! :D

Ta Dixie.

Moleman

I have a set of perspex deflectors that go in the hinge points where my doors go. They are angled so they stay nicely on the car without any movement. They really do reduce the airflow on the sides.

I like the open air without them but I found my passengers injoy it better with them on as that seat it further back. It must be a more stronger breeze that little bit futher back?

YellaBelly

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 05, September, 2012, 12:30:51 PM
How about a grub screw onto the pin just to bite and hold it?

What a damn good idea  8)

@Dixie - I'm more than happy to help out chap, I actually enjoyed making the roof even though it did involve me sewing :o. Even got to use the Boss's new sewing machine before she used it  :P

The material was from http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php and the material I used was http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=D7-09

It is really thin and light, but is pretty strong. I put a fair bit of tension on the rear straps and the material seems to hold fine.

I also got the webbing, fastners and clips from there too.

Drop me an IM if you want any more info.

John

Dixie

Hi John.

Thats a big help to start with.  Just knowing where to get the material is half the battle.

How many meters did you need?  I will need abit more as I expect the Cob is slightly bigger.

Thanks

Mark

YellaBelly

I got 2 metres and it is 1.5 metres wide. And I have enough left to make a roll back to go behind the seats/roll bar too :)

I added about 75mm to the measurements I took to allow for error and sewing in the edges.