News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My first complete re-build.. Ford scorhill magic!

Started by scorhill.89, 03, February, 2013, 03:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Quote from: sanzomat on 26, July, 2015, 03:52:12 PM
I enjoyed your thread - will be great to see it on the road. Some real attention to detail. Will be a credit to you.

I particularly liked the image of the block in the oven  ;D

I liked that picture too. I'm lucky enough I can use a big walk in oven at work.

scorhill.89

Thanks gents! Haha yea the block in the oven was a bit of a squeeze! Little bit awkward trying to do it without the mother seeing!
well I've now made the dash, finished building the body and it's now had its clearcoat.

Next I need to sort a windscreen/visors, can anybody advise me on the requirements for wipers to windscreen size?

Iancider

Nice thread Scorhill,

Was that a 4 pot roast you did there?

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Looks great! I wish I could do this with my Fury, strip it right down and rebuild it from the floor up the way I'd like it, sadly I just don't have the space to do it (tiny garage). It must be very rewarding knowing you did it all yourself??  8) 8)

Do you have any pics of the dash and maybe a few pointers on building one? I have to have a bash at mine over the winter this year.

scorhill.89

Quote from: Iancider on 28, July, 2015, 10:43:04 PM
Nice thread Scorhill,

Was that a 4 pot roast you did there?

Ian

The best thing ive ever cooked thats for sure ian! ha. the most use that ovens been to me yet

scorhill.89

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, July, 2015, 11:18:34 AM
Looks great! I wish I could do this with my Fury, strip it right down and rebuild it from the floor up the way I'd like it, sadly I just don't have the space to do it (tiny garage). It must be very rewarding knowing you did it all yourself??  8) 8)

Do you have any pics of the dash and maybe a few pointers on building one? I have to have a bash at mine over the winter this year.

I know that feeling! this cars been backwards and forwards to various different garages for various different jobs. i recently had to move it again to complete some welding, no use of electricity where its most recent home is which was a pain, but all complete and back again. I started the strip down in a standard size garage which wasnt a problem for me because the majority of the bulky stuff taken off went straight in the bin! but space did become a problem when it was back on four wheels. As you say though its been very rewarding and job satisfaction gets more and more, certainly this year!

You should most certainly go for it if you think youl have an improvement at the end, far more enjoyment when its exactly how you like it. Dont worry about the space, ive found its amazing the places around the house and garden you can store things for years on end! the bonnet of this thing is still a garden feature now! ha

dash photos uploaded next :)

Facial Hair Optional

scorhill.89

Ok this was the most dreaded job for me as i had no idea where to start, the original fibreglass dash had been chopped out and replaced with a nasty piece of flimsy chipboard coated in leatherette. On removal i found it was spaced out with WHEELNUTS!! im all for imporvising but....... ??? this was years ago and ive been putting the job off since as you can see the body is mostly built and primed here, really it would of been better to mock the dash up before prepping the body. Endless hours went into bodywork, photos will soon follow

scorhill.89

I decided id attempt it in 1.6mm aluminium, very carefully as i didnt want the expense of another sheet. I used large lengths of angle iron and clamps to make each bend, this proved to be a bit tricky as direction of bends, especially the center console part was difficult to clamp flat onto the workmate. You can probably see where im coming from

Template for column purposes

scorhill.89

scorhill.89

The painful job of removing that british racing green, a mountain of grp repairs and a new paintjob

I had enough of wet sanding so decided to get the bonnet blasted with aluminium oxide, i think i may have made a big mistake as it damaged the gelcoat, may need some advice on this  ::)

I had to re position the arches to allow for wider wheels

scorhill.89

scorhill.89

Clear coat followed a week later and now im currently waiting to give it a cut and polish

Moleman

I do like that colour.  8)  Yellow would have been good too as you don't see many kit cars in yellow.  :P

Facial Hair Optional

That colour does look nice I agree with Colin. Did you do all the bodywork preparation yourself??!!

Do you fancy doing mine??? hahaha! No seriously, do you??  :o :D :D

Facial Hair Optional

I fancy yellow, with a big picture of a bee-eater on the back!! Or is that a wasp on your car Colin???  ;D :P :P :P

scorhill.89

Ha thanks guys, It wasn't the easiest choice! My initial thought was something bright as I wanted to be a bit more visible by other road users, but I felt it needed to keep its classic look. So the final decision fell on this! I like it more everyday but even more this weekend I hope when I flat and cut the laquer, i just hope I don't regret sanding it back! Never attempted this before

scorhill.89

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, July, 2015, 10:26:52 PM
That colour does look nice I agree with Colin. Did you do all the bodywork preparation yourself??!!

Do you fancy doing mine??? hahaha! No seriously, do you??  :o :D :D
Haha shall we see what the final result is 1st! :P you may regret it haha, what are your plans? This was all done with aerosols by the way :D yea I did all the work, I never expected half decent results but Im pretty happy with it :)

Moleman

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, July, 2015, 10:28:22 PM
I fancy yellow, with a big picture of a bee-eater on the back!! Or is that a wasp on your car Colin???  ;D :P :P :P
well your going to need to speed up bit to catch me first.  :P
I would not have said it was done with aerosols so fair play that does look good.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 30, July, 2015, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 29, July, 2015, 10:28:22 PM
well your going to need to speed up bit to catch me first.  :P

A bit??? I think you mean a LOT Colin!!!!! If I ever manage to get even close to hanging on to the back of your yellow peril I will be a hapy man!

Bulldog Bri

Great colour and a great finish to the paint. Anna's Bulldog was nearly as good as that till she drove it ???

8)

Pilgrim Anna