+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Engine Replacement.

Started by Moleman, 16, July, 2013, 10:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Ok. Here we go. Out with the old & busted.  :'( & in with the New & upgrade.  ;D

I started to strip the bits tonight.

It ended going better than I hoped.  :D

I never noticed this until it came out.  :o

All out now. Never intended to get this far tonight.  :o

Put a temporary engine in for now. It's mean looking but has backfire issue's!  :P

I will be starting on taking the old wiring loom from my old Throttle bodies tomorrow.  :)

Sprint 7

Hi Colin, judging by picky 3 there must have been one hell of a punch up between the internals of the lump when it finally let go :( .See you on Sat at meeting place and it looks as if the weather will be good this time. Not like Dyrham  Park (soggy)
All the best with the mechanical stuff 8) 8)

fullpint

:o Done a good job with that old engine mate.....
Looking forward to seeing your up-grade  8)

YellaBelly

Nice work Colin! It's surprising how quick things move along when you get stuck in :)

Won't be long before you're tearing around the tarmac again mate ;) :D

robp

Good progress, Colin.  I can't wait to see the replacement!

Moleman

The engine loom is now out. So that's everything out that has to come out.  :)

Just waiting for the Clutch,Loom,ECU, & Engine now.  ::)

fullpint

Its going to feel like Christmas for you mate. Bet you can't wait to get the Westy all sorted and back on track  8)

'The Gaffer'

Looks great mate. Should go like a rocket 8)

Moleman

It was a 6 hour round trip but worth it.  :) 
Just picked up a new engine from Langford Performance Engineering. They mainly build/Rebuild Ford Cosworth F1 engines. Which they was happy to show me a few F1 engine they are working on at the moment.  8) but they also do alot of other V8's aswell these days.  :)

When I contacted them about a Duratec they had for sale I found out it has only been built for a test, run on a Dyno for 5 hours, then stripped down, checked over & rebuilt again. The only thing that was wrong with it was the fact it didn't have a low line racing sump. When I said that I would need one of these, they ordered a new top of the range one for it & said they would put it on with no extra charge.  :o

They found out the compamy our on a holiday shutdown so said to me if I send them my Pully wheels & Altenator they would put these on & put a right size belt for me while we wait for the sump.

It has Jenvey Throttle bodies on it which is twice the size as my old one's.  :o 8)

It look's like I will also have to modify my bonet with those Throttle bodies.  ::)

It is a 270BHP with Cosworth running gear, Pistons,Cam rods,bolts etc. with roller chainkit with vernier gears & 4way coil on plug.
If my calculations are right it will mean my car will go from 200 BHP / 363BHP pre tonne to 270BHP / 490BHP per tonne. ( i will see when I do the rolling road). ;D

Langford Performance Engineering has also given me advice on Oil's, Oil pressure's, Oil coolant system, ( for which I am also upgrading). They are getting me the correct ECU & loom for that spicify engine so the rolling road won't have much to do. They have also given me advice on how to improve the airflow to the engine & how to get the best result for track & road running.
They even if I have problem's getting certain parts then call them & they will see what they can do, Or if I want advice on anything just ring them.
I think they may regreat that. :P

So It's going to be abit more work than I was planning but never mind.  ??? ::) :P

garry h

Hi Colin will be worth all the extra work should set some rapid times on the track. :) :)

Hairy Santa

air intake trumpets - no they are modified dustbins for sure  ;)

YellaBelly

Bring on the Supercar eater!! That thing is gonna fly Colin, best get a few more sets of wheels 'cos I reckon your going to be going throught them at a pace :D

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

'The Gaffer'

paintman

Good work there Colin, stick at it mate it will be worth it!!  ;)

fullpint

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 21, July, 2013, 08:10:31 PM
It is a 270BHP with Cosworth running gear, Pistons,Cam rods,bolts etc.

Holy cow!  That is going to fly!

YZFMINI

Gona be amazing mate..
and as know one else has said it.. I CALL SHOTGUN ON THE FIRST PASSENGER RIDE.... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Moleman

Once it's running you all can have a passenger ride. but since you asked first mate then no probs.  :D Just bring a 20ltr can with Vpower in it as I think I will be buy some more jerry can's for the trackdays.  ::) :P

Bulldog Bri

fullpint

I reckon we need to call a meeting Colin for when it's on the road so we can all have a look and a  :P
When do you think it's going to be up and running?

Moleman

I on the stage where I'm waiting for bits to arrive, do some more to it then wait for the next new bits to arrive. So your gess is as good as mine.  ::) :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Looks very impressive and very powerful...

fullpint

It will be worth the wait Colin.. The Westy will be spotless by then.

Krazyken

Colin, that will be R500 territory when it is up and running!  Trouble is you will get used to it and still want more power :o :o :o

Moleman

It won't matter if I do Ken. I won't be able to aford it after this.  ::) :)

Moleman

New engine & clutch is now in. 

Even look's like the new Throttle Bodies may fit better than I thought.

Just may have to have a custom air filter to fit?  :)

Still alot to do but nice to see it in.  :D

fullpint

8) Looking sweet mate. Should sound great too  :P

YellaBelly

Looks pretty damn fine Colin! Can't wait to hear the thing  8) 8)

Hairy Santa

That's gonna look the DB's when finished

can't wait to see how it goes  :D

SPAXIMUS

That is one serious package there as Rob says that will fly. What gearbox are you running with the engine? Even an uprated type 9 is at the top end of the power it can handle there, if it is an MT75 box you will be eating boxes from now on. Stick a good close ratio box on the end of that and you will pass anything you want at Combe.

Jeff

Moleman

Thanks for the advice. I do have the MT75. I will be leaving it in for now but may upgrade later.
I did wonder if it will be man enough & I have been told it should be fine so I will see how it goes as the car ain't that heavy.   :)

Moleman

Quick update. Still waiting for E.C.U. & LOOM.

so while I'm waiting I started on the new oli coolant system I'm putting in.

I also made a new air intake to suck up extra air into the oil coolant radiator.

It will go just behind the nose cone, inline with the wheels & higher than the sump so it should be enough clearance?
I have made a template just incase though).  ::)

Then had a good mate in the name of Fullpint do a really good job in powder coating it for me. Thank's Steve.  :D

Also fitted the new Throttle bodie air fliters & throttle cable. You won't beleive it but It fit's without having to cut the bonet as there is a bulge right where I needed it! :o 8)

Not alot of room anymore. I haven't even put the water pipe's in yet.

Even moved the new upgraded fuel pump so I can jack the back of the car up without It getting in the way. As it was located on the back subframe just where it is best for the jack.

'The Gaffer'

YZFMINI

fullpint

Looking very nice Colin..  8)

Moleman

Last modidifcation done now. Made brackets & fitted oil catch tank.

Just waiting ECU & loom now.  :)

fullpint

Hope the ECU arrives soon mate.. Then it's just plug it in and go hopefully.. 8)

garry h

looks like you are nearly there bet you cant wait to get it back on the road and track :) :)

Krazyken

Colin

That's really impressive, I know you blame me for getting you hooked on track days and costing you a fortune, but you would only spend your money on cruises, wild nights out, women etc. so at least now you have something worthwhile to show for it.

Lucky Ed

Looking fantastic Colin. It's going to be a stunning piece of kit, can't wait to see it in the flesh.