News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Engine Replacement.

Started by Moleman, 16, July, 2013, 10:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Thanks guys.  :)  E.C.U & loom should be with me by the weekend now.  ;D
Ken I do & I yes to the other!  :P

Lucky Ed

Colin

Krazyken and Dave Doom have a lot to answer for between them - letting us simple folk get drawn into this vicious circle of upgradeitis

I think we should send the boys round ;) ;D

Moleman

Sprint 7

Looks like you'll need a pilot,'s  licence not a driving licence. Agree with all the other comments so looking forward to seeing the new improved Westie  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

Everything is running!!! :o :o :o
But not very well at the mo.  :( Just got to take it to the guy who mapped & built the engine as he will look at it for me free of charge  ;D & then rolling road mapping. Which will have to be done up there anyway due to the pectel racing E.C.U. the guy got me.  ::)  :)

YellaBelly

Won't be long now Colin  8) Good Job! :D

'The Gaffer'

Hope all goes well. At least you have a runner for now.

fullpint

Cool, lets see what the re-map gives you.. :)

Moleman

It's up & running!  :D but There are problems. It runs great, it works great. It goes up to 8000 now instead of 7000. but the rolling road results are nowhere near what i was promised.  ::)
the engine guys & mapping guys each say different things as to why? from manifold not the right sort to the rolling road might be out? all i know at the moment is i'm not getting what i paid for.
I will just have to see how it runs as ive not had the chance yet so alot of testing is on the cards as from tomorrow.  :D

fullpint

Great news its running but not so good about the result...
Hopefully they will sort it and you will have what you paid for mate..

'The Gaffer'

That's a shame mate, how far out is it?

Lucky Ed

Sorry things  haven't worked out how you hoped - are you still going to try it out at Combe on the 13th?

YellaBelly

I'm sure they'll get it sorted Colin :D

Bulldog Bri

That's annoying, what are you getting out of it at the mo then?

8)

Moleman

It's about 210bhp. We have been looking into it & the engine guys a got it from have also been trying to source the reason? we were hoping for about 250bhp when you take exhaust, sump etc but not this much drop. There are a few thing we are looking into so all is not lost yet. :)

What I will say is that I have now had a chance to try it on some fast roads & ok it is definitely much quicker top end & acceleration!  :o :o 8) 8) ;D

garry h

As everyone says Im sure you will sort it mate and it will all be worth all the aggro and think how big your smile will be then  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Moleman

Thanks gary. I will be testing on the track next friday. The 13th!  :o ;D

Moleman

Engine update.

Well after two trackdays & some time to get used to the new engine I must say I'm really happy with the new engine despite the rolling road malfunction. I can really say it is a rocket up to the last one & that one was quick. I even managed to knock off 4 seconds at combe & that was on the 888's. I'm getting quite good at combe now but not that good! :o 8)

So I'm now sure the guy who built the engine is right & they didn't do the rolling road right. The engine was 270BHP on the dyno so I should probably get about 230-240BHP after taking away all the factors of it being in the car.  Which it may well be now :)

On the last trackday my car failed the noise test, it went from 99 on the first trackday to 103 on the second one only a few weeks after! :o
but to my shock & surprice they let it go due to the fact there wasn't many there that day & if they don't get any complaints then they will let it go.  :o   I thought I'd won the lottery! As I have never ever known them to be lenient with there noise tests.  8)

It turns out my exhaust silencer was empty. I have literally blown out all my stuffing.  ::)
So I went to a few places to get quotes for that & maybe a new manifold as I'm told that could make a differance?
They all told me that the manifold is the best configuration I could have & not worth changing but Dave from Interpro told me that I need a bigger silencer for that engine & the best thing for it was a longer repackable one. which they could costum build & I would be able to pack it to what is required to pass any trackday & then unpack it to what ever I like.  ;D

Then he proceeded to ask how the rolling road went? When I told him it ended up a cock up the first thing he asked was "Did they strap the back end down on the rollbars or you will get a false reading with light weight kit cars?"  ??? ??? ??? ???

So long story short, The engine guys are sending him the info he needs & It's booked in this thursday for the exhaust to be done, followed by a rolling road to give it a final tweeking.  ;D
So I will finally know what it is. Not that it matters that much As I am really pleased with it now but it will be just nice to know what it really is pushing now? :D

Daley Down Under

You're going to the right place - Dave will sort you out. 

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

Thanks Adrian thats good to know.  :D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 04, November, 2013, 08:43:24 PM
Engine update.

On the last trackday my car failed the noise test, it went from 99 on the first trackday to 103 on the second one only a few weeks after! :o
but to my shock & surprice they let it go due to the fact there wasn't many there that day & if they don't get any complaints then they will let it go.  :o   I thought I'd won the lottery! As I have never ever known them to be lenient with there noise tests.  8)

Wow :o.

Sounds interesting keep us updated 8)

Moleman

Had the new exhaust silencer done. This is the old one.

This is the new repackable one.

It is abit longer to be able to do the trackdays ok. It does work a bit too good so I may take some stuffing out for road use.  ;D

The rolling road went much better. due to the last mess up it did need some tweeking, but the engine is now
257BHP Giving it 544BHP per tonne! 8)

Hairy Santa

time to lose some weight  ;)

600BHP sounds like a nice figure   :D

fullpint

257 is a well tidy figure mate.. Guess you are happy with the outcome finally.. 8)

Moleman

Very pleased Steve. I always knew it was more than the original rolling road guys had done.
Dave from Intrepro in thornbury did a cracking job.  ;D Just need some dry weather now.  ::) :P

robp

stevel

Good result Colin but not wishing to wee on your bonfire I am not sure you have got your maths right?  Based on 544 bhp/ton and 257 bhp your car must weigh 472 kg.  Is it really that light??  To get bhp/ton you need to divide power bhp by weight in kg and then multiply by 1000.  So for a low powered heavyweight like my Tiger 156 bhp / 650 kg would give a measly 240 bhp/ton.

Either way that is going to be a quick car, 257 bhp is a lot of motor whatever your car weighs!!  Enjoy.............

Lucky Ed

Giving it 544BHP per tonne! 8)

OMG....... YOU SHOULD HAVE FUN WITH THAT!

........ be even more power for ploughing at Combe :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

steve you might be right. My car is 520kg. so going by steve's calulations it's 494bhp per tonne. I just went by what the garage worked out per tonne.  ::) ;D  still pleased at 257bhp though.  :D

Ed forget ploughing, I'm going to start tunneling now!  ;D

'The Gaffer'

stevel

Actually I stand corrected after re-reading your terminology of bhp per tonne rather than bhp per ton.  Tonne is the old imperial measure rather than ton being a metric ton of 1000kg.  1 tonne is actually 1.102 ton so you are absolutely correct at 544 bhp per tonne.  I will get my coat!!

'The Gaffer'

Lucky Ed

Sorry to be a pedant Steve, but the metric tonne is the newer prefered SI unit and the ton is the old imperial unit. the figure you quote of 1 tonne = 1.102ton is for the US short ton so........................

1 tonne (1000kg) = 2204.62lb / .984 UK ton / 1.102 US short ton

1 UK ton = 2240lbs / 1.016 tonnes / 1.12 US short ton

the figure of 494bhp/tonne is correct............. I think, but now I'm confused as well!

All I know is circa 500 hp/tonne is one hell of a lot 8) ;D

Hairy Santa

Daley Down Under

Top result  :D

Pleased you got the usual excellent service from Dave Griffiths

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

You all have me confused now!  ??? which ain't difficult.  :P
I will go with hairy santa & just say it's quick.  ;D

stevel

Confirmed the total equation is as follows;

(1 x Westfield) + 257bhp Duratec = FQ.
Or in laymans term "F@@@ing Quick"

Enjoy it Colin, as the Loreal advert says, you know you are worth it!!

Moleman

I am worth it steve.  ;D
unlike the advert though, I wish my hair was as thick as I am.  ::) :P

Moleman

Ok had a few noise issues with the new engine in November. Had to bow out of a few trackdays as I wasn't sure what it was.  :-[
It got abit louder in December so I decided not to use it until I found out the cause of the noise.  ::)

It sounded like the chain tensioner had broken so I contacted the guy who built the engine. It was something I could fix but they said they would look at it just incase it wasn't that.

Well I took it up there on monday, stayed there while they checked it out, put a camera in the engine then they decided to take the front off as everything did point to the chain.
I left them to it at this point then the following day they called me to say they changed the tensioner but the niose is still there!!???

They were certain it was this along with me aswell. So they said they would dig deeper into the fault. They ended up taking the engine out, strip it down & check pistons 1 & 2 as it could be piston slip? They did this & found no fault with anything on the engine????  They are now putting it on their dyno to see if this will show up the fault?  so it's a wait & see now. :-[

How much is this now costing me? well the engine never came with a warranty. I told them I don't have any money left & not to do anything without my say so as I can't spend any more on it.  :-[   
They decided to do all this other work as they still don't know what it is & would like to find the fault as a matter of pride, reputation & it's really bothering them that they are not sure what it was & they want to fix it.  So most this work is on them.  :o :o :o and I will just need to pay a fraction of the cost.

So fingers crossed they find it.  :)  I will keep you up dated.

'The Gaffer'

That is good of them, people like to read nice things about companies on forums.