+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New Car Project Started

Started by mittaw, 30, July, 2014, 11:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittaw

Hi folks. Well we've started our new car build. We haven't got all that far yet but we have made progress on the road to building the car so I thought I'd throw up a post where we can at least show some progress.

My brother and I are building a new car entirely of our own design from scratch. Neither of us have done this before, yet we have spent many years rebuilding old classics cars and vans...so why not we thought have a go at something completely new and different.

We've decided to approach the build by creating all the panel work using CNC machines that we have access to from CAD drawings that we have prepared, rather than carve the car body by hand. We have no idea how successful this will be but we wont't find out until we try.

As for progress well we have managed to get ourselves an RS4 Engine and gearbox which we are going to use in a mid-engine set up as below. The gearbox is four wheel drive so we are going to have to remove the back dif section and use a blanking plate for now. We expect to get around 420bhp from this once its sorted.

As for the bodywork, like I say we are currently processing our first panel to see how it works. However we have machined our first draft mold for one of the wing panels as below. We now have to prep this ready for applying the carbon fibre material which is what we are going to try and make the body panels out of.  We are going to try and make the whole car body out of carbon fibre, which will take some time as my other half has just found out the cost of it :o

We have another section of the mold to make before we can cast it but so far so good. So far we have both wings and the bonnet molds modeled and are working on the front bumper/spoiler section now.

We are, however, finding the cost of the model board too high and there's no way we can afford to make molds for the car from this so if anyone has any ideas for alternative material, we are all ears. This one is a one off in the model board to test our processes and now I am looking at a few alternative options but if anyone has any ideas of a low cost alternative then I'd be really grateful to hear.

We 'think' we may get our first panel out of the process in the next couple of weeks, and if so i'll post something up to show how it looks....unless it looks bad and then I won't  :(

Anyhow - short and sweet update on progress in the last couple of weeks.

I hope this is of interest  - if so I'll post some more on how we get on.

Moleman

That's going to be one expensive build with the engine & carbon fibre body mate. Most moulding foams are not cheap either especially if you need it to go in a oven on regulated rise & full temperatures to cure it.

Can wait to see this one progress mate.  8)

mittaw

Cheers fella.  Yes the carbon fibre etc is pricey which is why we're trying to source lower cost foam. Will keep looking fo options as model board is not viable.