News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The story of my GTM Rossa

Started by lightauto, 05, October, 2009, 01:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightauto

The GTM Rossa K3, kit was introduced in early 1993. It was designed to use Rover Metro components, the kit consisted of a GRP chassis/body tub, with no other materials incorporated as strengthening. Also front and rear body mouldings, also in GRP, that covered the radiator, suspension and boot at the front and the engine, transmission and suspension at the rear of the car. And various mouldings and brackets required too complete the car.
My Rossa K3 was ordered 26th June 1993 by my son, who intended to use it as his primary transport, and kit 003, was collected from the factory at Sutton Bonnington near Loughborough, on the 6th December 1993. It took a couple of Rover Metro's to be written off for me too able to build my Rossa K3. That was because I needed two front sub-frames complete with suspension, hubs and brakes, along with a K-series engine gearbox, transmission and various other Metro parts. As I wanted to fit a DOHC multi-point injection 1.4 Litre K series engine to my car, one of them had to be a scrapped GTi model. This someone obligingly did after only nine thousand miles, by the 20th August 1993 when I collected the donor parts from  Birmingham.
The Rover Metro, introduced in May 1990, was a revised Austin Metro, now fitted with a Rover K-series engine and a PSA gearbox, a new front sub-frame and suspension. This replaced the A-series engine with the gearbox in the sump and front suspension layout that had been inherited from the Mini. The one Mini component that survived the makeover, was the forged upper front suspension arm. The Metro GTi special edition, was the first model with a DOHC, multi-point  injection engine and was introduced June 1991. With a top speed of 116mph and 0-60 time of 8.6sec it out performed the XR2 and XR3 .  Production of the Metro GTi ceased 1995.
Before the build progressed very far, my son's work took him to Germany  and as it became clear he would be there a while and would not be able to use the car in Germany, I took over the ownership and completed the build. 
After the usual trials and tribulations of kit car building,Rossa K3 003 was ready for and passed it's first MOT (No SVA testing then.) on the 4th March1995 , and was registered Q838REU  on 5th March 1995. As a joint second car, it's taxed and insured all the year round as with the hardtop fitted, it's an all weather car. Since then has covered over thirty thousand miles, mostly on Sunday outings on the country road of Southwest England, where it is at it's best.

'The Gaffer'

Nice story Dave and thanks for sharing, Please feel free to post some build pics.

Catch you at a meet soon.

Richard

Like that little tale.

I worked at longbridge site at the end of the 80's and very early 90's so recall those cars quite well. Perhaps a few tales for a late evening  ;).

Can imagine that is quite a nippy and light vehicle.
Quite a long time ownership, must be very satisfying and with that mileage I can't imagine any issues with that engine given you haven't been racing it.

Like the story just wondering if son ever thought he could come back and have his car back  ;)

lightauto

He's still in Germany and has to make do with a Subaru WRX