Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New, to me, Westie... Needs some love

Started by foggy@smr, 16, August, 2015, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

foggy@smr

Quote from: jmad on 17, February, 2016, 10:29:17 AM
A Bit O/T but I have a red westfield boot box and hard cover, its been moved around the garage for the last few years and I have put it in the skip yesterday :-X, if its any good to you then I can fish it out and you are welcome to it.

Thanks for the kind offer bud...

Think that we have sorted a flat carbon sheet to go over at the back, so if benchmark51 can make use of it, its better off going to him rather that just having it for the sake of it...  ;D

jmad

I will dig it out tonight, I am in Taunton and you are welcome to get it anytime, or I will bring it up next time I come to Bristol.

benchmark51

foggy@smr

Had a good week on the car and it is looking more like a Westfield. .

Sorted all the brakes, but no fluid yet, fuel lines and tank plumbed in..
Front wings ready to go on and the front lower body work has returned after having some vents fitted.

Happy with the dash but switches to finish off..

Still a bit further but end is in sight :)

damouk

Looking good, I can't remember has your car already been iva'd?

Iancider

Got a glimpse of the seats - Superb!

Great progress - should speed up when you can feel your fingers again!

Ian

foggy@smr

Quote from: damouk on 26, February, 2016, 09:13:59 PM
Looking good, I can't remember has your car already been iva'd?

Yes it is on a Q plate and it currently has mot also.

Quote from: Iancider on 26, February, 2016, 09:19:32 PM
Got a glimpse of the seats - Superb!

Great progress - should speed up when you can feel your fingers again!

Ian

The seats are very comfortable despite looking flimsy... Cost a few quid but worth it...

sanzomat

Coming together really well. You got a nice shine on the grp.

'The Gaffer'

Good progress, hope you have a log burner in the garage :)

foggy@smr

And onto another week of nightshifts, which means more time to work on the car.....

So much better than the original layout ...

Back end wiring next on the list ...

Knew the old Saxo tarmac rally rims would come in useful ... New set of boots needed though, as not a massive amount of tread left on the road legal slicks !!!  :o  :o  8)

Cateringvan CXR front wings look better than the original rounder ones from the factory I think.
Took an age to get the rear wings to look correct, as when it was racing, the car had a large shunt which damaged the tub and twisted it, so a load of messing to get it right, but it was worth it, as it looks soo much better than it was.

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 28, February, 2016, 12:08:47 PM
Good progress, hope you have a log burner in the garage :)

It was nice to be able to have the garage door open to work on the car Monday. Made a change from strip lights all the time :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Iancider

Facial Hair Optional

Love the dash! Can you reach the 'big red key' from the drivers seat when fully strapped in tight? I have the one in my Fury in about the same position and I can't reach it with my harness on!!! It's always bothered me.

The other thing I found was that when in the 'on' position, it wa very easy for a passenger's knee to accidentally hit the key and turn it 'off'!! I need to turn it through 90 degrees I think.

foggy@smr

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 08, March, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
Very neat workmanship....

Quote from: Iancider on 08, March, 2016, 08:11:05 PM
Agreed - very smart!

Thanks guys.... Policy always has been, do it right first time, even if it does cost a tad more..... At the end of the day, we want to use the car competitively later in the year, with a full attack on probably the Welsh Speed Series in 2017

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 08, March, 2016, 09:32:50 PM
Love the dash! Can you reach the 'big red key' from the drivers seat when fully strapped in tight? I have the one in my Fury in about the same position and I can't reach it with my harness on!!! It's always bothered me.

The other thing I found was that when in the 'on' position, it was very easy for a passenger's knee to accidentally hit the key and turn it 'off'!! I need to turn it through 90 degrees I think.

FHO, tried it on the temp dash I made up, and moved it a few times to get it in the right place... Originally it was right over to the left of the dash, and only the passenger or anyone outside could reach it! Need it that way, so if anything does happen you can just push it and it naturally turns its self off... Just have to stick a gert big sticker by it, which will spoil the look of the dash, but hey ho....

Moleman

I don't think my knees would reach the key Steve. Come to think of it neither would my feet.  :(

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 10, March, 2016, 08:42:28 PM
I don't think my knees would reach the key Steve. Come to think of it neither would my feet.  :(

;D ;D

In the Fury my 16 year old son's knees kept touching the key as I was doing about XXXmph one day! I was getting very worried at times!! But then he is taller than me now!!!!

I can't actually reach the key when I am strapped in though which was also a worry.

foggy@smr

A great week of working on the car, has resulted in this .......

Cant start it as have found that the kill switch is faulty, so new one ordered..

Still a few more small jobs, but most have already been done, and just need putting on the car.. Nose needs moving forward a fraction, so the bonnet fits better.

Comments as always welcome :D

sanzomat

Looking great - will we see it in the flesh soon?

foggy@smr

Quote from: sanzomat on 11, March, 2016, 07:43:05 PM
Looking great - will we see it in the flesh soon?

Hope to be at Coleford Carnival of Transport at the end of the month for a start, and try get to a meet also..

Iancider

Sounds like the kill switch was too effective!

foggy@smr

Another week of nights and no sleep going along nicely....  :'(

Managed to get the brakes sorted finally. Problem with a leaking caliper sorted, and then a joint not 100% tight resulted in a very quick clean up...  :o

Sorted the dodgy electrics. After replacing the kill switch, found that it was wired incorrectly when we bought the car. Had to do a quick rewire of the ignition circuit to got through the spade terminals on the switch, as it was all bypassed for some reason....

So took the plunge earlier, filled the cooling system, put some fuel in and turned it all on... No fuel leaks, so pressed the starter button.... ITS ALIVE !!!!!

Decided it may be a good idea to refit the exhaust then, so that little job done, and restarted it. Tick over is way too fast, as the new Westfield throttle cable is too short.. Ggggrrrrrrr  Have to make one up tomorrow.

Water leak !! The new thermostat housing seal is leaking like a good un... Replace that tomorrow as well....

Jobs for tomorrow are growing longer...
Sort water leak.
Sort throttle cable.
Drill holes in dash to screw to scuttle.
Fit rest of bodywork.
Fit the new bonnet catches.
Refit the belts.
Fit the trim to the boot cover.
Fit roll cage back on.
Fit the new mirrors onto the cage.
Check tyres and put on.
Drop off the axle stands.
Drive outta garage if it can  :o

If all that can be sorted tomorrow, that means that can give it a test up the road on Friday ... If its not raining ......

Moleman

Looking good now. I was going to go to Coleford Carnival of Transport but I'm off the road now so I will see you some other time.  ::) :)

foggy@smr

Update ..

Jobs for tomorrow are growing longer...

Sort water leak. - DONE
Sort throttle cable.  - DONE
Drill holes in dash to screw to scuttle.  - DONE
Fit rest of bodywork.  - DONE
Fit the new bonnet catches.
Refit the belts.
Fit the trim to the boot cover.
Fit roll cage back on. - GOT NEW BOLTS
Fit the new mirrors onto the cage.
Check tyres and put on.
Drop off the axle stands.
Drive outta garage if it can  :o

Got a few of the jobs knocked off the list, but need to adjust the nose a tad more to get bonnet fitting correctly

Quote from: Moleman on 24, March, 2016, 10:46:30 PM
Looking good now. I was going to go to Coleford Carnival of Transport but I'm off the road now so I will see you some other time.  ::) :)

As it stands, its looking very much 50/50 that will get the car there... Still waiting for bits ordered over a week ago to turn up, and phone calls have shown they have been sent...  >:(

Going to have another go at it on Friday, but don't get home from work till 8:30 in the morn, and need at least a few hours kip. Weekend is already tied up with other stuff, so will make the call Friday afternoon...

If Easter was no so early this year ........  :'(

foggy@smr

Well, we didn't make Carnival on Bank Holiday Monday, due to parts not turning up....  >:(

But had the call that we didn't want over the weekend.... The cage is not usable in any MSA sanctioned events events, due to the factory making the cages out of T49 not CDS steel...  :'( :'(

This means that the rear cage needs to cut from the frame, and an approved cage bolted back in its place. Sounds simple, but the rear of the race cars is different to the standard chassis, as the rear stays of the bar go right to the frame, where the normal one fits to a bracket on the rear frame tube.

Chatting to a few people to get prices at the mo, so the car is now stripped ready to go off and be sorted..........

Iancider

That does sound nuts or like a restrictive practice. 
Will they limit the maximum speed to one that CDS bars car withstand or will accidents be standardised so the the bar always survives?  Or maybe a track marshall will raise a placard that says "Accidents permitted here only"  :D

foggy@smr

Quote from: Iancider on 02, April, 2016, 10:57:59 PM
That does sound nuts or like a restrictive practice. 
Will they limit the maximum speed to one that CDS bars car withstand or will accidents be standardised so the the bar always survives?  Or maybe a track marshall will raise a placard that says "Accidents permitted here only"  :D

It is silly, and I know that this MSA ruling has now stopped quite a few from competing, plus caused a few to be excluded from events already !!!!

We had a feeling that this was going to happen, as we have been waiting for around 5 months for a reply to the questions that have been asked to both the MSA and Westfield. The MSA came back quickly, but Westfield were very quiet.

Looks like a full Caged cage will be put on with the all important silver MSA sticker, but just getting the costings sorted for supply and we fit, or take for factory fitting at Caged in Frome...

It was very disheartening last week stripping the car back to chassis, so that the welding can be done....  :'(

Not taxing it this month, so set a new date of May Bank Holiday to get the thing out on the road, then a case of getting suspension set up, and getting it rolling road tuned, as it has been sat for a few years before we bought it....

foggy@smr

Got the car ready to now go and have its new cage fitted at Caged Laser in Frome...

Really hacked off that had to strip a lot of the back-end of the car off, because of the cutting and welding that needs doing...  :(

On a positive note, have got the thing down off the axle stands and pushed outside so that can clean the garage floor properly...  :D

Well happy with the look of it, but the tyres are shot and need replacing with something a tad better for normal road / trackday use.
When sprinting, R888R's will more than likely go on the 13" rims

Gary RH7

Facial Hair Optional

Yep, a properly nice looking motor mate, well done on that one!

foggy@smr

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 14, April, 2016, 09:57:38 PM
Yep, a properly nice looking motor mate, well done on that one!
Quote from: Gary RH7 on 14, April, 2016, 05:31:58 PM
Love the mat black, Cool 8)

Cheers guys for the compliments....

Was a tad worried about the matt bonnet and nose alongside the gloss wings, but think it works well..

Just a pity that we have to wait till may bank holiday to get the cage sorted, then get it back on the Friday. Have a week to get it sorted then, as its been loaned out to do a school prom run !!!  :o

Iancider

foggy@smr

And she is off to have full cage fitted...

Iancider

foggy@smr

And it's back ......  :D

Got to get it back together now..
Cage is excellent, but a tad annoyed with damage to the bodywork and loads of over spray from the welding..  >:(

Had a chat when we picked it up and came to an arrangement.

Facial Hair Optional

Looks great!

Hope they compensated you for their sloppiness re overspray etc?

foggy@smr

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 06, May, 2016, 09:17:07 PM
Looks great!

Hope they compensated you for their sloppiness re overspray etc?

Yes the main man Dan was very apologetic and took lots of pictures, and is going to speak to the guys concerned next week.
We think we can get around the bodywork possibly, and the galvanising spray eventually came off the calipers...
It's just annoying that we spent time, effort and money to get the car to a very high standard, and for a little thinking about, Caged could have saved the marks and over spray buy using sheeting on the car.
Overall, happy with what they have done, but they need to make sure that they are a tad more careful.

foggy@smr

Had a good day today and very close now...

And it's all because this was missing from the other cage . >:(

Just the boot lid, change tyres and tax to go, and then try it up the road between rain showers.....  :P

nojjer

Awesome project thread, interesting to read and see what you have done

foggy@smr

Quote from: nojjer on 11, May, 2016, 08:02:37 AM
Awesome project thread, interesting to read and see what you have done

Thanks for that nojjer

Latest update ....

Boot lid is done, and looks not too bad...

Ready to drop it off the axle stands to take out, when noticed oil drops on the floor under the gearbox from filling it yesterday...
Thought it was overspill that we didnt dry off...  Bad news.... Gearbox casing has a crack in it.  :o

Spoke to First Motion, who supplied gearbox, and he assured me that it was checked before shipping, so it looks like it may have been dropped by the courier...
Result is now, engine and box out and send away to be checked.... So close to getting it out of the garage as well....

Had a call before work at 10, to say that the hoist had turned up earlier, and the boys got engine and box on the floor!!

Get it packed later today to go back.

Feeling ready fed up now  :'(  :'(