Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Moke gets 16 valves

Started by Daley Down Under, 14, September, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daley Down Under

Evening all (or morning all),

I've started another new project.  Picked up a Suzuki Swift GTI compliant Mini subframe, engine, gearbox, etc, etc locally and have decided to drop it in the red Moke.  I say drop in - it might be a little more difficult than that but have to have a go.  100bhp and 5 speeds + free revving 16v - what's not to like.

Here's a few pics of the old and new (and the space it has to fit in).

Cheers Adrian

Bulldog Bri

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 14, September, 2015, 05:19:55 PM
Like a lot. :P

8)

Thanks Bri - will let you all know how things progress over the coming months

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

Good luck with it, hope it all goes without any problems.  :)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Moleman on 14, September, 2015, 10:07:18 PM
Good luck with it, hope it all goes without any problems.  :)

Thanks Colin,

I'm sure there'll be plenty of problems (I like to call them challenges) but that's half the fun.

Cheers Adrian

paintman

That's going to keep you busy for a few weeks Adrian.....good luck with your "little" project. ;)

Tony

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 14, September, 2015, 11:22:54 PM
That's going to keep you busy for a few weeks Adrian.....good luck with your "little" project. ;)

Tony

Thanks Tony - just a few.  Summer's coming (although I might miss out on this one).  Still got the black Moke and the TVR though for open top fun.

Cheers Adrian

Hairy Santa

I like that Ideal, nice one A  8)

Have fun

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 15, September, 2015, 12:12:06 PM
I like that Ideal, nice one A  8)

Have fun

Thanks Pete - see if I can live up to expectations.  Pop over and I'll take you for a spin  :D

Cheers Adrian

Iancider

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Iancider on 15, September, 2015, 10:51:50 PM
A Moke with Poke!

Nice  8) 8) 8)

Ian - there's a guy over here who's fitting a 2.0 VTEC in one.  Now that should be one quick car.

Cheers Adrian

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 15, September, 2015, 10:57:10 PM
A Moke with Poke!

Nice  8) 8) 8)

Ian - there's a guy over here who's fitting a 2.0 VTEC in one.  Now that should be one quick car.

Cheers Adrian

Bonkers, but great fun. Good luck shoehorning the new engine in 8)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 15, September, 2015, 11:03:41 PM
Quote from: Daley Down Under on 15, September, 2015, 10:57:10 PM
A Moke with Poke!

Nice  8) 8) 8)

Cheers Adrian

Bonkers, but great fun. Good luck shoehorning the new engine in 8)

There will definitely be some shoehorning involved.  Here's the list so far:

Inlet manifold needs shortening/raising.
Inner wings need a degree of butchery.
Driveshafts need to be cut and welded (Mini outers and Suzuki inners).
Radiator (I'll probably keep the alloy Moke one but fit the Suzuki thermofan).
Gear selector rods (will need shortening and attaching)
and 100's of other small relocation jobs

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Just spotted this project Adrian. Looks like fun, when it's finished anyway ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 20, September, 2015, 12:15:19 PM
Just spotted this project Adrian. Looks like fun, when it's finished anyway ;D

I agree Phil - hope you're feeling patient  :)

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

New owners came and picked up the 1100 engine today so I had a bit of time under the carport.  Built myself a body lift out of 50x50x3 angle (less than 50GBP all up).  Works a treat - all ready for subframe swap after collection this weekend.

Cheers Adrian

Bulldog Bri

Was that the kids Swing frame your using? ::)

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Well yesterday the kids got their own back on my flippin' ASBO Brian!! Sore subject!!!!  >:( ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 21, September, 2015, 10:19:54 AM
Was that the kids Swing frame your using? ::)

8)

Wondered why they had long faces Bri  :D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 21, September, 2015, 10:33:19 AM
Well yesterday the kids got their own back on my flippin' ASBO Brian!! Sore subject!!!!  >:( ;D

Such a great new car and such a bas**rd of a result.  Lots of great times ahead though  :D

Cheers Adrian

Facial Hair Optional

That is very true Adrian. I went into the garage late last night on my own to talk to the car (sad eh?). I had another look at the marks though the light was poor so will be checking again today. They are small but some are very deep, right through the powder coat to the metal and identical on BOTH sides of the car, that alone makes me wonder about who, how and why they did it.

To go that deep takes some doing, it doesn't mark or scratch as easily as a painted panel from what I can tell. I will see if I can get them patched up but in any case I will not let it spoil my enjoyment of the car. I am sure some will see the scratches and think 'what is all the fuss about?' but if some guy with a Porsche had got even the tiniest mark on his lovely car I'm  sure he's had gone berserk. My car to me, is no different than his is to him and that was the very 1st meet I had been to it in. Not good. I actually had bad dreams about it last night too, in fact it kept me awake half the bloody night!  :(

Thanks for your positive thoughts, much appreciated  8) 8)

Bulldog Bri

We don't want to know what kept you up the rest of the night :o

8)

benchmark51

"To go that deep takes some doing, it doesn't mark or scratch as easily as a painted panel from what I can tell. I will see if I can get them patched up but in any case I will not let it spoil my enjoyment of the car. "

How about covering the affected areas with vinyl wrap? Comes in all sorts of colours/designs and sticks pretty well. Comes off when you want it to as well. Would provide some protection from future marks.
It is pretty cheap as well.

Facial Hair Optional

It's a thought Dave, especially as the deep ones are all on the tube that you climb over to get in the car. I think maybe a kid was hanging over the edge with a belt on or something like that, the bars are too low for an adult to lean over them. Exact same mark both sides, seems very likely to me.

Maybe a bit high quailty carbon fibre wrap would give future protection from idiots and my shoes as I climb over! I kinda worry it would change the look and image of the car, but on the other hand it might look great. I'll investigate.

As I've said before, they are tiny marks but upsetting on such a beautiful car none the less. I bought her mainly for her looks and not her speed believe it or not, so having damage done hurts all the more, particularly as I am having to give up so much to get her.

benchmark51

You can get the carbon fibre effect in red too.

Facial Hair Optional

Might look nice. I will make a note of where all the marks are and then decide if CF is an option. Will talk to the guy who powder coated it too.

Have been taking a few pics just now for Tony at the ADC. He is gonna send out an email to all members about being more careful etc.

Moleman

Nicely done Adrian.  8)  Love the picture Bri.

FHO the wrap sounds perfect mate & ps stop stealing people's thread.  :)

Facial Hair Optional

benchmark51

Facial Hair Optional

I've been sat there for the last 2 hours Dave waiting for someone to tell me I can get off it now!!

Moleman

That is funny but you are doing it again so you better stay on the naughty step just a little longer.  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Daley Down Under

Bit more progress over the weekend.  I now have the modified donor subframe and have done a trial fit with the engine (see pics).  Next step is to get hold of a rare Mk1 manifold, AFM and throttle body which gives me a fighting chance of clearing the bulkhead once I cut the inner wings away.

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

benchmark51

Certainly is! Trouble is though, you have too much space and the workshop is too clean. GRRRR lol

Bulldog Bri

Does look a neat tidy little motor :P

8)

Daley Down Under

Daley Down Under

Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, October, 2015, 10:50:52 AM
Certainly is! Trouble is though, you have too much space and the workshop is too clean. GRRRR lol

Also full of mozzies and 80 degrees + on Sunday

Daley Down Under

Daley Down Under

Spent a bit of time on the red Moke today (removing the old front subbie).  Everything is now ready for trial fitting of the 16v Swift motor (once I get the suspension etc transferred across).  Give it another couple of weeks  :D