+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Moke gets 16 valves

Started by Daley Down Under, 14, September, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daley Down Under

Things are moving forward (albeit in baby steps).  I've sorted the AFM wiring problem but don't have a spark. 

I spent a good portion of the day with a multimeter and my ECU/ignition system.  Most of the voltages and resistances were all good.  My problem appears to be the coil (high primary side resistance reading) and the ignition output signal from the ECU which wont deliver 3V at cranking.  I've ordered a new coil but will hold fire on getting a replacement ECU until new coil arrives and is tested. 

I suppose its progress (i.e. most things are ok)  ;D

Cheers Adrian

sanzomat

Just a thought - is there any kind of immobiliser interface with the ECU? Some cars have a separate module (often also controlling central locking) that handshakes with the ecu to enable certain functions. It would be easy to not think it was needed in a moke due to lack of doors but without un-plipping the remote it might not give a spark (or whatever other function Suzuki thought would be a good way of stopping people nicking it)

Daley Down Under

Thanks for the reply mate - definitely no immobiliser (according to wiring diagrams) and I've not found anything that doesn't line up with diagrams in terms of extra wires. 

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

You didn't forget to but a ground wire to the engine in amongst all that wiring spaghetti did you Adrian?  ;D ;)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 24, April, 2016, 12:56:14 PM
You didn't forget to but a ground wire to the engine in amongst all that wiring spaghetti did you Adrian?  ;D ;)

Good thought Phil - all earths in place though.  Having done a few more tests, it's pointing more and more to the ECU.  Crank Angle Sensor in the distributor is working fine but ECU will not generate an ignition output signal to the coil.  Waiting on a reply from the guy who supplied the engine package (inc ECU).

Cheers Adrian

paintman

Good luck Adrian, your get there......that's what we love about projects, sorting out the problems..... ::) ;)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 25, April, 2016, 12:03:26 PM
Good luck Adrian, your get there......that's what we love about projects, sorting out the problems..... ::) ;)

Thanks Tony - true enough and in the meantime we have the hovercraft build to be going on with

Cheers Adrian

Iancider

Hi Adrian,

Its getting close now any chance of a video when it is done?

Regards
Ian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Iancider on 26, April, 2016, 11:30:04 PM
Hi Adrian,

Its getting close now any chance of a video when it is done?

Regards
Ian

Sure thing Ian - I'm picking up a replacement ECU this morning so fingers crossed video should be loaded this pm  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

No video  :(

I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever get my G13B conversion started. I spent all day today trying to make progress. Dave at DMW Motorsport was super helpful and sourced me a replacement ECU, which made no difference. I then swapped the coil and the power unit - that made no difference either.

I've rechecked all the earths (again) - everything is continuous and grounded. As a last resort, I started to re-check sensors. TPS is fine, WTS is fine. However, despite having 12V at the input connector (white wire - terminal B), my AFM does not deliver an 'in range' signal output on terminal D - black wire (which connects to pin A6 on the ECU). It should be 0.2-0.8V - mine is 0.01V.

Question - can a faulty AFM stop the ECU sending an ignition output signal to the power unit? I still have 0V at cranking on pin C6 (should be 1-3V) and consequently no spark.

PS: the CAS is working fine and delivering a signal to the ECU (pins B1 and B10).

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

I found someone on the web doing a conversion using a G13B. Lots of piccies, but may be able to help you if you contact him?

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51364

Daley Down Under

Quote from: benchmark51 on 27, April, 2016, 10:29:24 AM
I found someone on the web doing a conversion using a G13B. Lots of piccies, but may be able to help you if you contact him?

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51364

Thanks mate - Team Swift is a good resource.  I've put a post up there too.

Cheers Adrian.

'The Gaffer'

Maybe it is an ECU safety feature? Theory is that the afm is giving a false reading making the ECU think the mixture is wrong so preventing a spark in order to prevent damage? 

Don't you just hate people who theorise on forums?? :P ;D

Hope you get it sorted.   

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 27, April, 2016, 06:51:51 PM
Maybe it is an ECU safety feature? Theory is that the afm is giving a false reading making the ECU think the mixture is wrong so preventing a spark in order to prevent damage? 

Don't you just hate people who theorise on forums?? :P ;D

Hope you get it sorted.

If it is, its too safe !!!

Thanks Phil

Daley Down Under

GREAT NEWS  :D - I now have a spark.  Problem was the EFI relay supply was coming from an ignition feed which was being isolated when the ignition key cranked the starter motor.  The supply now comes from a stable 12v battery feed.

Next problem is I now have no fuel pressure.  Pump is working fine and fuel is being pumped via the return.  Everything was ok so I can only assume the FPR has failed in the fuel rail (the brittle problem encountered elsewhere).  I have an adjustable FPR so will install that in the return line at the weekend.

PS: all injectors are firing correctly (checked with a sound meter).

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

Well done! Sounds like your nearly there. All the fuelling set up as standard?
It's what I intend with the ST170. If I actually do the swap over.

damouk

Is the FPR the right way round?

Daley Down Under

Another frustrating afternoon working on the red Moke.  I've now fitted the adjustable FPR and I have the necessary 40psi fuel pressure (all connections are in the right place Damouk).  The injectors are still firing (checked with sound scope) BUT THE CAR STILL WONT START.  No fuel on the plugs so I'm guessing I need to dismantle the fuel rail and clean the injectors (which is a fairly big job in terms of removing a whole bunch of stuff that's in the way).

I'm going to leave it alone for a few weeks and find something more productive to do.

Cheers Adrian

Facial Hair Optional

Very frustrating Adrian. Sometimes a break is good, come back with a fresh mind. Maybe you will have a Eureka! moment while on the break even  :)

Daley Down Under

Need a eureka moment mate - the number of times I thought I founf problem only to find another one.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The car finally runs.  Looks like it was an air lock in the fuel rail. 

Here's a video link ...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D1303C95EAC2EC10!5870&authkey=!AETVBZ2usSK4crw&ithint=video%2cmp4

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

YEEHAAAAH !!😃😄. 9Time for some tinnies now then.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: benchmark51 on 14, May, 2016, 05:53:59 AM
YEEHAAAAH !!😃😄. 9Time for some tinnies now then.

Already had a couple  ;D

Daley Down Under

6hrs later and the wiring is nearly finished (its all in the right places now) - much neater than the last few weeks   ;D

Cheers Adrian

Vindicator

Not a lot of room left in there Adrian  :o. , Ian

'The Gaffer'

Nice vid Adrian and some great progress. Soon on the road now 8)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Vindicator on 21, May, 2016, 07:40:06 PM
Not a lot of room left in there Adrian  :o. , Ian

Luckily there's nothing left on the shelves in the garage so everything must be in there now (except perhaps a turbo later)

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 21, May, 2016, 08:12:11 PM
Nice vid Adrian and some great progress. Soon on the road now 8)

Thanks Phil - should be an on the road vid today

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Well - after 8months and 8 days the G13B powered Moke is back on the road again (albeit a little unofficially).  I managed to get the remainder of the wiring finished off and did a couple of other little jobs that needed to be done.  Then a quick spin round the block with the eldest as cameraman.  The sound quality isn't the best but the car goes and sounds really good. The motor and box are really smooth.  Absolutely love the 5th gear.

There's a few things that aren't quite right:

1.  The front geometry is miles out.  Tracking is somewhere near but caster needs some work.
2.  The brakes could do with bleeding again but the booster has made a huge difference.
3.  I need to fit a correct temp sender for the gauge as the Suzuki one gives a false reading.
4.  The speedo needs recalibrating as its also miles out.  Sort of ok to 60 but then reads very low.

Other than that, the car is already for compliance.  I'll get on the phone tomorrow  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've attached a link to the video is below.

Cheers Adrian

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D1303C95EAC2EC10!5873&authkey=!AOLAAVmygjCVztk&ithint=video%2cmp4

'The Gaffer'

Excellent. So whats the next project when this one is done then Adrian? ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 22, May, 2016, 03:03:21 PM
Excellent. So whats the next project when this one is done then Adrian? ;D

Still got the hovercraft to finish (son's school project) and then there's some final work to do on the black Moke and the TVR.  That'll do for the moment.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Suzuki Moke got a wash today (first one in 9 months) ;D ;D ;D

Currently got the wheels and tyres from the black Moke fitted (as these are a bit more legal for the mod plating process).

Cheers Adrian