Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Moke gets 16 valves

Started by Daley Down Under, 14, September, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintman

Looking good Adrian!!   ;)

Bet your Missus loves you doing these "little" projects in your spare time......lol :D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 01, November, 2015, 05:35:17 PM
Looking good Adrian!!   ;)

Bet your Missus loves you doing these "little" projects in your spare time......lol :D

Thanks Tony - youngest lad is helping out now so I get all the time I need  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

BIG achievement late this afternoon   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Engine is in (albeit supported on wooden blocks) and the older Mk 1 inlet manifold clears the bulkhead a treat.  I had to take the headlight out to get sufficient clearance for the timing belt cover but we'll worry about that later.  Good news is that everything seems to have plenty of clearance. 

One potential challenge to be overcome is the alternator location which may be a bit close to tyre on full lock.  Other than that and a redundant lug on the gearbox casing which I need to grind off its all systems go.

Well pleased  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Adrian 

paintman

Glad to hear your winning Adrian!

Your have it finished before Xmas. ;D ;D

Lucky Ed

Great work, you must be chuffed with how well it fits 8)

Iancider

Wow I loved those pics Adrian.  The pics of the front brought back happy memories of when Diana Rigg of Avengers fame and just three feet away from me stepped out of her Moke in her skin-tight cat-suit 

Happy days!  :-*

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 29, November, 2015, 07:11:22 PM
Glad to hear your winning Adrian!

Your have it finished before Xmas. ;D ;D

Just wondering which Christmas Tony  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 29, November, 2015, 08:00:38 PM
Great work, you must be chuffed with how well it fits 8)

So far so good Ed - trouble is there's a lot more stuff to fit in yet (exhaust manifold, radiator, brake servo, induction pipework, air filter, etc, etc, etc.  Coming on nicely though.

Do need to fit some aircon in the workshop - nearly 80 degrees out there today.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Iancider on 29, November, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Wow I loved those pics Adrian.  The pics of the front brought back happy memories of when Diana Rigg of Avengers fame and just three feet away from me stepped out of her Moke in her skin-tight cat-suit 

Happy days!  :-*

Not sure the memories of the Moke would be so vivid without the catsuit  :D

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Looks great Adrian, should be somewhat quick as well 8)

Daley Down Under

Thanks Phil - certainly quicker than the old motor  ;D

Daley Down Under

G'day all,

Another good weekend under the carport on the progress front.  The engine is now bolted to the 3 x mounts (I hope its not coming out again  :D). I will have to modify the headlamp bowl as I have ended up with approx. 25mm interference but at least the alternator problem has gone away - just need a longer belt. 

However, as one problem disappears another emerges.  The 4-2-1 exhaust manifold that came with the engine package is too big to fit between the block and the grille - I have max 100mm (allowing for 10mm clearance) and I need 160mm to use the 4-2-1 manifold (unmodified).  I'll be getting the angle grinder out (again) tonight to start attacking it.  I reckon with a bit of adjustment and re-welding I can get it to fit.

Watch this space

Cheers Adrian

Lucky Ed

Good work Adrian. How are you going to manage the cooling, I presume it's going to produce quite a bit more heat?

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 07, December, 2015, 08:11:29 AM
Good work Adrian. How are you going to manage the cooling, I presume it's going to produce quite a bit more heat?

Thanks Ed - I had a 2" alloy rad when the A Series motor was in there.  That worked well - I will mount the rad in the space to the right of the engine (but more front facing) and use the thermofan from the Swift GTI that came with the engine package.  See how that goes.

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Square peg in a round hole comes to mind Adrian. Great update and amazing work for getting it in at all ;D

I'm sure a man of your skills and an angle grinder will make short work of the rest!!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 07, December, 2015, 09:12:03 AM
Square peg in a round hole comes to mind Adrian. Great update and amazing work for getting it in at all ;D

I'm sure a man of your skills and an angle grinder will make short work of the rest!!

Thanks Phil - a lot of this is down to the angle grinder  :D

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

How does the flat front panel attach? Could it unbolt and have a spacer fitted behind it? Preserving the look of the car, while solving the headlamp and exhaust clearance problem. Hard to say 'cos I haven't seen one for years and the photos are limited.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, December, 2015, 11:29:51 AM
How does the flat front panel attach? Could it unbolt and have a spacer fitted behind it? Preserving the look of the car, while solving the headlamp and exhaust clearance problem. Hard to say 'cos I haven't seen one for years and the photos are limited.

Dave - its all one piece.  Well done Leyland (doesn't matter if its UK or Australia).  They did at least make the middle bit detachable after 1979.  My 1981 black Moke has the removeable grille.  Thanks for the idea  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

I gave the 4-2-1 manifold a 'let me explain' session with the grinder this evening.  That coupled with a bit of vice action  ;D has sorted the pipework so that it now fits.  All I need to do know is get it re-welded  :D

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 07, December, 2015, 12:03:45 PM
Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, December, 2015, 11:29:51 AM

Dave - its all one piece.  Well done Leyland (doesn't matter if its UK or Australia).  They did at least make the middle bit detachable after 1979.  My 1981 black Moke has the removeable grille.  Thanks for the idea  :D

Ok, it's just that I found an advert and looking at it, it seemed possible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-Moke-Front-Panel-/331712401416?hash=item4d

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

A little bit more progress this evening (and some photos to boot) ...  the alternator is now bolted in situ and the longer drive belt is fitted.  Clutch is now operational - cable and pedal mods have worked a treat.  I've also managed to prep the driveshafts for machining and welding.  I've done some drawings so should be able to get them made over the Christmas break.

Cheers for now,

Adrian

Daley Down Under

And so 4 bits of driveshafts become 2 + the exhaust manifold flange is now drilled out to accept the modified pipes. More little steps

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Happy New Year all,

Now we're back from the family Snowies Road Trip, I've managed to get a few hours under the carport working on MOKIII.  The modified driveshafts are in and everything works ok.  The end result is pretty good for alignment also - driveshafts sit almost horizontal and only slightly out of line looking from above. 

I've also lost the Cyclops look - in other words I've managed to modify the headlamp bowl to enable me to get the original light unit back in and clear the cam cover.  Very happy with the result and a massive 8mm clearance  :D

Next win has been the induction pipework and air filter - all looking quite blingy in polished ally and red silicone hose.  I still have to cut the threads back on the clamps (Pete Smith) and make a bracket to keep everything in place, but otherwise ticked off the list  ;D

As a result of mounting the air filter down at the front behind the grille, I've had to find a revised location for the radiator.  I'm going to start by using the alloy rad that I put into MOKIII originally.  If that doesn't provide enough cooling I'll try a 2" alloy rad.  I've fitted a 9" Davies Craig electric fan to the rad and decided to use the original radiator location.  I'll mount the rad to the subframe tower at the back and the engine mount location at the front (next job).

Then I'm on to gear shift and welding up the extractors (which was going to be my first job back but I got distracted  :D) so that I can fit the exhaust.

Shame its back to work tomorrow  :(

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

That does look like a bit of a tight squeeze with the light but glad you did it mate.  8)

Iancider

paintman

Your progressing great Adrian, won't be long now....hope you don't have too much hassle with the exhaust!! ;)

Daley Down Under

Thanks Colin, Ian and Tony - might be on the road again just in time for Winter  :D

Cheers Adrian

pompeyal

Hi Adrian, just caught you thread, have a look here http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 these guys put all manner of things in mini's and dirivatives including the Suzuki engines, maybe you can grab a few ideas from them...

benchmark51

I followed your link and quickly read the first posting " Mindy gets 16v". It was interesting as the mini was his first car and he is never going to sell it. Apart from all the usual things you replace in the life of a car, it's had several different engines 998, 1340, 1380, so I presume that meant different transmissions too. He has re-shelled the car and is now fitting a Suzuki 16v engine ect. So I'm wondering how much of the original car is left, not to sell? Triggers broom revisited? ;D ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: pompeyal on 18, January, 2016, 01:38:48 PM
Hi Adrian, just caught you thread, have a look here http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23 these guys put all manner of things in mini's and dirivatives including the Suzuki engines, maybe you can grab a few ideas from them...

Thanks mate - I'm a member on 16v Mini Club.  It's a great forum - there's sections for all possible 16v transplants and I've posted a fair bit in the Suzuki one.  They've been helpful already on alternator mountings.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Despite having to get the portable air con out, I spent most of the day under the carport today fitting the radiator (it may not even need to come out again  :D)  Brackets look fine painted and bolted to the subframe tower at the rear and engine mounting at the front.  Its nice and secure and the finishing strip does a good job of hiding all the chopping around the inner wing.  I've also sorted the cooling hose arrangement (not fitted yet).  3 x Moke top hoses, 2 aluminium joiners and a short straight hose will enable me to connect inlet and outlet and avoid the possible chaffing around the gearbox area.  Now where do I get red mini top hoses from?

Cheers Adrian

Iancider

Adrian,

I really feel for you!

QuoteDespite having to get the portable air con out, I spent most of the day under the carport today fitting the radiator

The air-con is very effective here!

Daley Down Under

I wont say how warm and sunny its been since my last update. 

Seemed to spend this weekend taking stuff off/stripping stuff down/cleaning stuff up whilst waiting for some parts to arrive/be modified.  My extractors are still not back from the welders and my gear linkage parts have not arrived (so I couldn't get on with modifying the gear shift).  I'm also waiting for a set of red silicone hoses for the cooling system.

In the meantime, I've started on the fuelling.  One of the key jobs for the EFI system is to run a return line from the fuel rail to the tank.  With the older top fill, there's not much room anywhere around the tank when it situ.  I've taken the tank out, removed the sender unit which is mounted on the front end and had a pause to think. 

My plan (after the think) is to run the return line through a hole in the sender unit (through which I'll fit a M10 threaded 6mm brass barb with sealing washers each side).  My fall back option is to fit a Suzuki Swift fuel pump (which has a built in return line) through a new hole cut in the end of the tank.  This will require some significant mods to the partition in the side box (not preferred).   

I'm intending to use the front storage compartment in the side box (the one in front of the tank in older Mokes) to fit the fuel filter and VL fuel pump, with the supply and return lines following the traditional route through the front bulkhead.  Should be able to make progress on this next weekend, after the fuel hoses, barb and reducers arrive.

I've also been sorting out the booster location, brake pipe routes and coolant overflow tank location.  It's a bit tight but everything will go under the bonnet  ;D

Cheers Adrian

Crunchie Gears

Very I gauging thread  ;D

Keep up the good work.   ;D.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 31, January, 2016, 07:55:52 AM
Very I gauging thread  ;D

Keep up the good work.   ;D.

Thanks CG - not an Ultima though  :D

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Nice work Adrian. I wonder what will be next when this one is finished? ;)

sanzomat

Enjoying this thread - nice to see some steady progress. Should be a great car when its done.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 31, January, 2016, 07:49:42 PM
Nice work Adrian. I wonder what will be next when this one is finished? ;)

Got to finish this one first Phil  :D

PS: sold the 944 Turbo S this weekend (after 18 months).  Shame to see it go  :(

Daley Down Under

Quote from: sanzomat on 31, January, 2016, 08:51:14 PM
Enjoying this thread - nice to see some steady progress. Should be a great car when its done.

It is only steady progress - hopefully will move a little faster from here on in  :D

Cheers Adrian

Gary RH7

Adrian, you going to bring it over for a track day at Coombe when its finished :P

Maybe not but post a video of it in action when you can.