News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Moke gets 16 valves

Started by Daley Down Under, 14, September, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 31, January, 2016, 10:38:25 PM
Adrian, you going to bring it over for a track day at Coombe when its finished :P

Maybe not but post a video of it in action when you can.

If we ever come back from Oz, I guarantee the red Moke will be coming too - Combe is a must.

I'll post a video once up and running.  Also hoping to get it to Lakeside (local track) once all shakedown and proving is done  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

I love it when parts arrive  ;D

During the week I got all my red hoses (fuel and coolant), a selection of pipe connectors, reducers, barbs, clips and my modified extractors were finally ready.  I'm still waiting on my dizzy and gear selector bracket, but I had more than enough stuff to make some real progress this weekend.  The fuel pump, fuel filter and lines are all in (no electrics yet), the sender unit is modified to include a fuel return, the fuel tank is back in and all coolant hoses are now connected.  I've also wrapped the extractors and bolted them up in situ (just the system and back box to fit now).

A few pics ...

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

Daley Down Under

paintman

Love the number plate Adrian.....and colour matched as well!! ;D

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 07, February, 2016, 11:30:46 PM
Love the number plate Adrian.....and colour matched as well!! ;D

And only $440 (£200) Tony :)

paintman

Daley Down Under

'The Gaffer'

Looking good Adrian. Must be nice to have a tinker in the warm :)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 08, February, 2016, 07:20:54 PM
Looking good Adrian. Must be nice to have a tinker in the warm :)

Thanks Phil

Daley Down Under

Got home from work a bit earlier today.  Managed to do a trial fit with all under bonnet components.  There's still room for the ECU on the bulkhead  ;D

Cheers Adrian

Crunchie Gears

That picture could be in an art museum.   ;D

That looks great :-*

Iancider

Agreed,

Leave the bonnet off - its too good to hide!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 09, February, 2016, 08:26:10 PM
That picture could be in an art museum.   ;D

That looks great :-*

Thanks CG - I might have to paint the overflow tank now  8)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Iancider on 09, February, 2016, 08:58:10 PM
Agreed,

Leave the bonnet off - its too good to hide!

Ian - they have a habit of flying open anyway so not a bad idea

Facial Hair Optional

Daley Down Under

Wife's 50th on Saturday so Moke work has been a bit limited  ;D

Did manage to get out there today for a while and spend some more time on the wiring.  The coil loom is now minimalized and I've fitted the coil to the bulkhead.  The fuel pump wiring is in and tested - all works fine and the return line via a barb through the sender unit is a winner.  Just like the England rugby team  ;D

I've also fitted the main 60A fuse breaker from the Suzuki between the alternator/rest of the loom and battery cable (its bolted to the subframe tower on the driver's side).  The battery cable is now in one continuous piece all the way to the starter motor. 

I've also fitted some 'new' speakers to replace the very sub standard ones that used to sit under the dash.  The 2nd photo also shows the ECU (now mounted centrally up under the dash) - if you look really closely.  Finally, I've relocated the windscreen washer bottle to its new home above the passenger footwell. 

I've been promised the gear shift bracket this week, so I'll be able to do the final 'major job' and fit the shortened gear linkage.  Last major job apart from the wiring of course.  ::)

Cheers Adrian

Crunchie Gears

Adrian. Good work! :D

I need to ask about the 4x2 wooden plank?  People who know me know I like a bit of wood in a car (Morgans) but did not think a moke had too much in it :o

Not long to go.  Keep up the good work :P

Iancider

I like the use of the cycling drinks bottle but is it labelled SPEW on the side?! ;) :D :o

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 20, March, 2016, 07:40:46 PM
Adrian. Good work! :D

I need to ask about the 4x2 wooden plank?  People who know me know I like a bit of wood in a car (Morgans) but did not think a moke had too much in it :o

Not long to go.  Keep up the good work :P

I got a B in O level Woodwork so thought I'd put it to good use  :D

The wooden 'planks' are essentially carriers for the plywood dash.  Here's a view of finished article.  The existing top and bottom rails just provided a good mounting point.

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Iancider on 20, March, 2016, 10:37:55 PM
I like the use of the cycling drinks bottle but is it labelled SPEW on the side?! ;) :D :o

That's what everyone will be doing at 8000 rpm in 5th  :D

paintman

The Moke's looking really tidy and up-together now Adrian.....love the dash! 8) 

Certainly doesn't look like an old car anymore.......almost up to date. ;)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: paintman on 20, March, 2016, 11:47:02 PM
The Moke's looking really tidy and up-together now Adrian.....love the dash! 8) 

Certainly doesn't look like an old car anymore.......almost up to date. ;)

Thanks Tony - that photo was taken in 2013 just after I finished the first resto.  Not looking quite so pristine at the moment with wires everywhere and covered in dust.  Will not be long before it looks like that again though  8)

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Moleman

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 21, March, 2016, 02:59:48 PM
Very smart. I want one 8)

I've got a spare one Phil - just resembles a sack of spanners that's all  :D

Cheers Adrian

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Moleman on 21, March, 2016, 08:54:19 PM
Very nice mate.  8)

Thanks Colin - sorry to hear about your off at Combe.  Pleased damage to car was not too significant and damage to you was even less.

Cheers Adrian

Facial Hair Optional

Fab looking little beastie Adrian. I'd quite like one of those myself. I reckon I'd get more use out of it than I do with my current kits.

Blimey they fetch strong money here in the UK!!!!  http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/82/moke/

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 22, March, 2016, 03:34:07 PM
Fab looking little beastie Adrian. I'd quite like one of those myself. I reckon I'd get more use out of it than I do with my current kits.

Blimey they fetch strong money here in the UK!!!!  http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/82/moke/

Thanks FHO and good grief - that is strong money.  Mine will definitely come back with me if we ever return to UK.

PS: gear shift bracket finally turned up yesterday so I can get on and modify/fit gear linkage.  That's the last big job apart from finishing the wiring  :D

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

A bit off subject, but an interesting use of a mini.

Moleman

paintman

Sacrilege

That pick-up looks mint! :o

Daley Down Under

It's been a while since my last update but things have been progressing (just not photo worthy).  During the last few days, I've been at the wiring, gear linkage and clutch pedal mods.  I now have a 5 speed  ;D

The linkage was a bit of a challenge - not sure what its made of but welding was not going well so I resorted to a sleeve and pipe bender.  Its turned out ok and works a treat.

The engine bay is just about finished apart from tidying the wiring and securing relays/fuses.  I'm hoping to get the remainder of the fuel/ECU wiring completed this weekend so should be able to try a start up  ;D

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Nice work Adrian. Start up Video maybe? 8)

paintman

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 15, April, 2016, 06:01:54 PM
Nice work Adrian. Start up Video maybe? 8)

May be Phil (although might have to wait for auto electrician visit  :D

Daley Down Under

Didn't quite make it as far as starting up.  Close but no cigar - I've got ignition light, oil pressure light, the starter motor turns over on the key but I cant figure out the air flow meter wiring.  I'm using a Mk1 AFM and a Mk2 loom.  The colours are different and without guessing I'm stuck.  I've posted on the 16v Mini forum, Team Swift and the Redline GTI forums - just waiting for a reply now.

Might need to do a bit of tidying on the loom when I'm up and running  ;D

Watch this space.

Cheers Adrian

sanzomat

That bowl of spaghetti looks nearly as bad as mine did a couple of months ago. Keep the faith - you'll get there!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: sanzomat on 17, April, 2016, 12:51:44 PM
That bowl of spaghetti looks nearly as bad as mine did a couple of months ago. Keep the faith - you'll get there!

All good (and colour-blind too)

Iancider

QuoteAll good (and colour-blind too)

Now that is an extra dimension of challenging!

Ian