News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

V-Storm Rebuild

Started by damouk, 20, November, 2015, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damouk

As a few of the guys from the club know, I haven't been happy with the paint on the V-storm's chassis since I bought it. So after chatting to a few members I have finally made a start on a complete strip down and rebuild  :o.

My main concern was the floor, as the guy who built it told me it would never come out due to the amount of tiger seal e.t.c. he put it in with. but fortunately it hasn't really been to bad.

So at the moment I have swapped back to the old wheels and ditch finder t1-r's, removed all the panels (didn't take long), front and rear seats, fire wall and most of the floor....

http://postimg.org/image/tccl797l3/

The next job for me is to check out the current wiring, (which is a total rats nest) and detail the bits I want to keep. I am planning on re-wiring the majority of it and installing the lighting control module I have built which will add DRL control (like the audi's), 3 flash indicators, fog light logic e.t.c.

I have the go-pro set up in the garage roof to record a time lapse of the strip and rebuild, so that should be something to look forward to when its back on the road..!!!

'The Gaffer'

Look forward to seeing the time-lapse Damo, great view!!

Lucky Ed

Well that should keep you out of trouble for a few hours :o ;D

Iancider

damouk

Thanks Ian I'm going to need it, will be plenty of time spent in the garage over Christmas I think ed.

There isn't a lot of room as you can see so the logistics is a bit of a nightmare. I still haven't worked out what I'm going to do when I lift the motor out..

Iancider

QuoteI still haven't worked out what I'm going to do when I lift the motor out

Idea: Hang the chassis on the wall and work on it without bending over.  Park the engine in all of that space you have just created.

Alternatively I'll collect the engine from you (you might not see it again  ;))

Facial Hair Optional

Brave man, good luck Damo. Great idea with the GoPro too! Can't wait to see that footage  8)

damouk

Thats sort of my plan ian, in theory I should only have the front end to take apart after the engine is out. Its strange I've had a couple of offers to 'look after' the engine whilst it's out lol.

I've been tempted to put up the story so far, but think I will hold off untill a bit more had been done or its finished. It does look cool, especially the removing of 3.5hp's worth of ply wood that won't be going back in! Ha

Facial Hair Optional

Gary RH7

damouk

Yep they have some bargains, picked up a conditioning charger last week for the old man. That looks pretty good but the problem is I don't have anything to carry a winch :-\

Facial Hair Optional

I bought one of their conditioning chargers last year, very good. And have a fair few of there tools, spanners etc. It's not Snap-On quality but then it ain't ANYWHERE near the price and for the home mechanic is a total bargain.

You'd maybe have to put a scaffold pole across the roof somehow Damo? Shame they don't do a traditional engine hoist eh?

damouk

I do have a crane but that doesn't help with storage lol.

Some of the cheap tools are actually pretty good quality

Facial Hair Optional

You could do with a short term rent of a neighbours garage really?

Crunchie Gears

Wish you good fortune with the rebuild. :D

Really like the GoPro and looking forward to the footage. :D

It made me LOL when you said that you have taken so much weight out as I do not think weight of the V-Storm was the issue for the builder (AKA Beefy) as he is carrying a Pound or two himself :o.

Be good to see the car when it is finished.

Moleman

Keep us posted mate. Are you going to move the Handbrake while you are at it? Or was it the gear stick that was in the way?

Crunchie Gears

On second thoughts :D

I do like a car with a bit of wood in it.  hahaha. Preferably Ash for the frame :P the Morgan will be out tomorrow on the way to Brands ;D

Frank Costin liked a bit of marine ply too :o

benchmark51

As long as it is only a bit of wood! I remember the wooden chassis of a Marcos breaking apart at Castle Coombe. Amazingly it was repaired.

http://www.rory.uk.com/The%20Wooden%20Chassis.html

Iancider

Well you learn something every day - I didn't realise the Marcos was a son of Chippendale.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

My ex claims she saw a Chippendale with some wood once  :D

Iancider

QuoteI don't have anything to carry a winch

Its easy to carry a wench just pluck her off her feet and run off with her! :P

Crunchie Gears

Frank Costin designed a number of wooden cars including the Marcos.  Interesting guy.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/september-1984/35/cars-frank-costin

His brother is the Cos in Cosworth ;D

Oh and I like a bit of wood in a car LOL preferably Ash  ;D

Iancider

QuoteOh and I like a bit of wood in a car LOL preferably Ash

Isn't Ash something that was previously wood?  :D Sorry - couldn't resist it.

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Iancider on 23, November, 2015, 09:40:08 PM
QuoteOh and I like a bit of wood in a car LOL preferably Ash

Isn't Ash something that was previously wood?  :D Sorry - couldn't resist it.

Hahaha crashed and burnt!  Good one :D

damouk

Things are going quite a bit slower than I was hoping, the mess that was called the wiring has taken quite a few nights longer than I originally hoped it would. But at last I have all the wiring marked up for the engine and pulled back through the chassis tubes to the natural centre point being the ECU. The front of the car is now liberated of 'dash', fuse box, random wires, relays well any wires!!

Last night I made a start at draining the fluids starting with the coolant, so next step is to try and get the oily noisy thing out before breaking down the rolling chassis.

I am pleased with the go-pro footage I have so far and really glad I went to the effort of mounting it properly.

I have also managed to get hold of the gearbox I wanted for a good price.. well if it works, so my quandary now is what colour to paint it.. the box in the car is currently silver, but I was thinking maybe black, but a few I have spoken to have suggested yellow... what to do!?!?!?!

Lucky Ed

Well done on sorting out your wiring nightmare, the rest should be a breeze after that ;)

What gearbox have you gone for, is it a replacement or something different?

sanzomat

Good to get rid of that bowl of spaghetti...

I've got a few wires in my engine bay to sort out too - some of the body harness wires were joined directly into the engine loom rather than via a connector block so my swap isn't as easy as I hoped in terms of wiring. If you get any withdrawal symptoms after you've sorted out all your wires I may have some for you!

Moleman

Good work mate. It all depends how much of the gear box you can see on the car as to which colour.

Facial Hair Optional

Only my opinion Damo but yellow would just look wrong mate.

'The Gaffer'

damouk

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 09, December, 2015, 08:23:43 PM
Well done on sorting out your wiring nightmare, the rest should be a breeze after that ;)

What gearbox have you gone for, is it a replacement or something different?

It's another stock Subaru box edd, but from a much later car, so they say its quite a lot stronger, wider gears more gussets (ooh err) in the casing and all that.

Quote from: sanzomat on 09, December, 2015, 08:46:02 PM
Good to get rid of that bowl of spaghetti...

I've got a few wires in my engine bay to sort out too - some of the body harness wires were joined directly into the engine loom rather than via a connector block so my swap isn't as easy as I hoped in terms of wiring. If you get any withdrawal symptoms after you've sorted out all your wires I may have some for you!

No worries, Im always up for a challenge!!!, I would cobble in a cheapo connector for your directly connected wires and then rework when you have the motor out.

damouk

Quote from: Moleman on 09, December, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
Good work mate. It all depends how much of the gear box you can see on the car as to which colour.

About this much, maybe a less with the spoiler bracket fitted

Daley Down Under

Looking good - go pro footage is a winner.  That'll be a great record at the end.

Cheers Adrian

Lucky Ed

I think you might be right going with a black 'box Damo.

damouk

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 10, December, 2015, 08:13:08 AM

I'm thinking so, might sand off the high spots of the ribs to add a bit of detail

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 10, December, 2015, 08:13:08 AM
I tend to agree, you defo want something a different colour than the bodywork.

mikebishop

Wow that a task you have under taken, good for you  :o.

I would go for the black gear box.

that was good idea with the go-pro footage, looking forward to seeing that.

good luck mate.

damouk

Looks like everyone likes a black box. Although to be fair there isnt really that much yellow on the car at the moment.

I'm tempted to put up a bit of a gopro taster lol

mikebishop

I'd be interested to see it.

put the footage it up :D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 10, December, 2015, 04:35:46 PM
Looks like everyone likes a black box. Although to be fair there isnt really that much yellow on the car at the moment.

I'm tempted to put up a bit of a gopro taster lol

I'm sure we'd all love to see the footage mate!