News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

V-Storm Rebuild

Started by damouk, 20, November, 2015, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: mikebishop on 10, December, 2015, 04:37:35 PM
I'd be interested to see it.

put the footage it up :D

Hey Mike!! Where have you been!? Not heard from you in ages  :)

Iancider

QuoteHey Mike!! Where have you been!? Not heard from you in ages  :)

He doesn't like to interrupt you when you are on a roll!  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

damouk

Isn't he quieter when he is on a roll ;).

Well another fine evening of spanner work for me, a nice lot of progress, tonight, finished draining the coolant, drained the clutch, removed the rads, intercooler, and marked up the engine wiring.

Unfortunately it came to a natural stop, as I found out I need a deep 19mm socket ground down to down to fit inside some of the chassis :/ ebayyyyy..

oh and for those interested...

damouk

Facial Hair Optional

The GoPro footage is very cool mate, reminds me of the original Time Machine film.

As for yours and Ian's comments, I will leave you alone.... for now!!! (it is Christmas, spirit of goodwill etc etc blah blah!)

'The Gaffer'

Agreed, time lapse is great. Keep up the good work 8)

Moleman

I bet you wish you could be that fast on the road?  :P :P :P  Great footage mate.  8)

damouk

I reckon I would be stopped quite a lot ha. It seems like a lot of time but just working it out Its only about 13 hours so far.

Iancider

Time-lapse is a great thing - the red screwdriver got a lot of use!

damouk

It has indeed Ian, it always does ;-) best tool in the box

Facial Hair Optional

Everytime I watch that I hear the flight of the bumble bee in my head!  :D

Took me a while to spot the red screwdriver but once you've seen in it's everywhere!

You're still a young man Damo but that is defo something to show your grand kids one day mate! Nice one!

damouk

I don't know about grand kids fho lol, but it's a good record.

First bit if the car going back together... Well the dash wired anyhow, just needs wrapping nicely and a car for it to go back in

damouk

Two widths of tape ordered, narrow and wide, there should be enough to tidy the ecu when I get to it. Along with a selection of connectors.

damouk

A bit of major car lightening......

Thanks to Dave Bence for the lever, worked a treat!!!

sanzomat

Quote from: damouk on 22, December, 2015, 10:59:01 PM
Thanks to Dave Bence for the lever, worked a treat!!!

Even colour coordinated with the hoist!

'The Gaffer'

Sweet, some serious work going on there 8)

damouk

It is indeed!!

Tomorrow should see the last of the wiring out of the car, I was hoping it would be tonight, but like the front, a few wires need dissecting from the chassis.

Another relief was we managed to slacken off the nearside driveshaft nut, it was FT, to say the least. it took a 3/4 drive and 5ft of bar to budge it, even then it didn't give up without a fight!!

sanzomat

Quote from: damouk on 22, December, 2015, 11:44:38 PM

Another relief was we managed to slacken off the nearside driveshaft nut, it was FT, to say the least. it took a 3/4 drive and 5ft of bar to budge it, even then it didn't give up without a fight!!

Should have had a chat with Benchmark Dave - his 240v impact wrench would have tickled it off without you noticing!

damouk

I slackened the offside quite easily and stupidly thought the nearside would be as easy... :-\

Lucky Ed

Quote from: damouk on 23, December, 2015, 04:31:28 PM
I slackened the offside quite easily and stupidly thought the nearside would be as easy... :-\

Are they both right hand threads? My Sierra ones are not - could be worth checking.

damouk

Quite right Ed, the 'left side is a lefty', the hubs of the v-storm are Sierra.

Iancider

Don't you just hate it when that happens?!!

Facial Hair Optional

I think it's like 3 eared knock-on wheel spinners (like on my old Elan), they have to do up in the correct direction on each side or they can come undone with the rotation of the wheels and braking I believe? So both sides will not be the same thread direction.

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 23, December, 2015, 08:39:11 PM
I think it's like 3 eared knock-on wheel spinners (like on my old Elan), they have to do up in the correct direction on each side or they can come undone with the rotation of the wheels and braking I believe? So both sides will not be the same thread direction.

So what happens if you are giving it some welly in reverse :-X

Iancider

Quotewhat happens if you are giving it some welly in reverse?

Love it! ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Try a couple of hundred miles and find out Gary. Report back your findings please mate!!  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

damouk

Quotewhat happens if you are giving it some welly in reverse?

On the v-storm it fills the inside of the car with bits of the road lol

damouk

I seem to be finding a few of these:

Worryingly this is one of the bolts that holds the two halfs of the chassis together, good job they are about to come out.

sanzomat

Not sure what I'm looking at there Damo? Certainly doesn't look like it should be taking any significant load...

damouk

If you look at the second pic, they are on the bottom tube where the forward facing tubes attach, could explain the clunk I occasionally hear

damouk

Well part one of the rebuild is done, all of the parts needing powder coating are pretty much ready..., bit of a lack of planning as I haven't even decided on the colour yet :-\

sanzomat

Making some good progress there. Better choose a colour soon. Did you see that pic of Welshy's Exocet - looks great with a gold skelly IMHO.

damouk

I think I have finally decided on the colour just need to find out how much the powder is! I'm not going to say what it is at the moment tho just in case I can't afford it.

Stu welding on some new bits:

Facial Hair Optional

Well impressed with how quickly you have got on with this Damo and with how much you have achieved so far - well done mate  :)

Can't wait to see the finished result and the new (secret) colour   8)

damouk

Cheers Steve, however I fear the work will be putting the car back together lol

Facial Hair Optional

Yep, sods law, that part will always take a little longer!

Moleman

I can't wait either especially if you go with the colour you showed us last night.  :)

damouk

I have a couple of samples on the way from the suppler, not cheap at all, quite a lot more expensive than I thought it was going to be :o. I'm wondering wether or not to get the floor done in it as it won't be seen under the carbon fibre

benchmark51

Have you tried Fullpint, he knows all about that sort of thing.