Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

V-Storm Rebuild

Started by damouk, 20, November, 2015, 02:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary RH7

Quote from: benchmark51 on 08, January, 2016, 08:30:05 PM
Have you tried Fullpint, he knows all about that sort of thing.

Second that but I think he is limited to size for him to do it.
He will give advice on temperatures etc so worth talking to him to get some knowledge before you talk to someone to do the job.
At least you will be able to check if they could do a good job.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 08, January, 2016, 08:08:27 PM
I can't wait either especially if you go with the colour you showed us last night.  :)

What!!!!!?? You showed everyone last night but not gonna tell us poor miserable sods on the forum!??

C'mon man, spill the beans!  ;D

Gary RH7

Moleman

No don't tell them they should have turned up.  :-*

damouk

Well it is yellow.... Some of it  ;D.

I kept meaning to ask fullprint at club meets, but every time I remembered he had gone!

The local guy to me does a lot of military work and will collect/deliver.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 08, January, 2016, 10:55:35 PM
Well it is yellow.... Some of it  ;D.

I kept meaning to ask fullprint at club meets, but every time I remembered he had gone!

The local guy to me does a lot of military work and will collect/deliver.

Oooh still teasing us eh!

Military, how about camo Damo!!!

Whatever you do, don't do it orange and white stripes cos you'll have Colin rear ending you at Combe when he thinks you're a cone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P :P :P :P :P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

benchmark51

I know a place with a big enough oven, but the tanks of chemicals they use to dip the components wont be big enough. They're miserable gits anyway. If you pm fullpint, perhaps he could steer you in the right direction

damouk

After three not so good weeks on the car and the mods done the chassis has finally left the garage for warmer climates. I'm still not 100% on the colour so Nick is going to make up a few samples and after that I will decide.

sanzomat

Quote from: damouk on 29, January, 2016, 10:17:20 PM
After three not so good weeks on the car and the mods done the chassis has finally left the garage for warmer climates. I'm still not 100% on the colour so Nick is going to make up a few samples and after that I will decide.

That garage does look very empty now!

damouk

it sure does, a bit like my wallet is going to be when I get it back by the sounds of it. About time for a garage clean up, then back to wire brushing off the new gearbox before painting.

Iancider

That is the problem with Go-faster modes - the money goes faster!!!

Moleman

damouk

Tell me about it Ian, and I haven't even thought about the panels yet.

So I have been trying to decide the best way to plumb the peddle box, should I use flexy or solid couplings to the m/c's...

Iancider

The rule is solid wherever you can.  Anything flexible tend to expand on braking and can give a soggy pedal feel. 

I saw one kit car that was plumbed end-to-end with braided flexibles but I bet that felt like stepping on a rubber ball!

damouk

I will have to have a go in solid in that case, I don't think it will look very pretty.....

Iancider

Damouk,

The look should be okay.  All you need to to make sure you get the right look with you pipe.  You can obtain copper or Zinc Finish and it highly wise to use a pipe bender for the bends.  You can borrow mine or use one of these cheapies:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Tube-3In1-Pipe-Bender-Bends-6-8-10mm-Plumbing-Brake-Fuel-Tubing-0-180-/131114140439?hash=item1e87030317:g:POkAAOxy3zNSkNpD

Ian

sanzomat

Plenty of p-clips too so you can ensure they stay straight on the longer runs. 300mm max spacing for IVA.

damouk

I might take you up on your offer ian if that's ok, I have a couple of bends that are 180degree that need to be really tight as the will touch the shocks if they arnt tight enough. I have more p clips on order already

Iancider

Your welcome Damouk.

Here is a good service.  Brake lines to order.  all you have to do is measure the length accurately making sure you allow for length in the bends.  Using this service means the unions are already made and they do need to be made properly.  Then all you have to do is form the bends.  It is always best to start at the complex end because sometimes the first bend can interfere with the tool.  If you overbend a pipe it can be eased out by opening it by hand - up to about ten degrees but never bend inwards by hand and use the pipe benders instead.  If you decide to make your own pipe you will need a flanging tool at about £60 each.

http://www.brakepipes2go.co.uk/

Regards
Ian

damouk

I have the tools and all the fittings from the original setup so will have a go myself I did see a home made tool which was to plates packed out with washers to do very sharp bends  I have plenty of pipe to practice on lol

benchmark51

What pipe are you using? Is it Kunifer, cos that is easily shaped. I like to do tight bends by doing a complete loop.

damouk

damouk

After nearly three months of moving the chassis from powder coater to powder coater it is finally getting some prep work done. Whilst this is now in hand I thought I would start doing a few of the other jobs that need to be done before I can start putting it back together, so today I made a start on cleaning some parts in the parts washer.

As well as this I have slowly been wire wheeling off the replacement gearbox ready for some paint, it has been a slow painful job, but hopefully will be finished tomorrow so that I can get the first coat of primer on.  :D.

I have also managed to knock up the relocation bracket for the new indicator and main beam switches.

Iancider

You will be properly pleased with yourself when it is done!

damouk

I will be Ian, but I will be even more pleased that the car is back in one piece and on the road lol

sanzomat

Any progress is good progress. Once you get the bits back I expect it'll fly back together!

damouk

I am hoping so, although I don't think it's going to be ready for spring springtime how ???

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 25, February, 2016, 10:58:47 PM
I am hoping so, although I don't think it's going to be ready for spring springtime how ???

It's a helluva lot of work mate but will be well worth it when done and you are flying around Combe later this year!

damouk

It seems a lot more work now after not really doing anything on it for nearly three months.

I keep ordering replacement bits and now I am running out of room.

Getting it back on the track seems a million miles away at the moment

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 26, February, 2016, 06:39:30 PM
It seems a lot more work now after not really doing anything on it for nearly three months.

I keep ordering replacement bits and now I am running out of room.

Getting it back on the track seems a million miles away at the moment

I had that feeling when I tried to rebuild my Lotus many moons ago. It happens to a lot of people, taking it apart is one thing, putting it all back together another entirely.

You will get there mate, just take it in baby bites and one day at a time.

Gary RH7

I agree with Dave. You will be surprised how fast it all goes back together

damouk

It should go back together pretty quickly as all the bits six months ago were a complete car. well all except the new bits and complete rewire..

damouk

A little bit of painting done this weekend.

Facial Hair Optional

Looks like a really great job dude  8)

damouk

Cheers mate, hours spent with the wire brush wheel and dremel, then a few coats of paint, I just hope it doesn't come off and leave a mess!

Facial Hair Optional

I don't think they get very hot so it should be ok as long as there was no grease or surface contamination before you painted it. Wire brushing etc should give a decent surface for the paint to key to I would think?

damouk

It should be fine for temperature, there are loads of awkward places to get to so hopefully I managed to get a good enough key on those, although it is an untested gearbox so there is always a chance its scrap anyway lol

Facial Hair Optional

It's not the one you took off that car then? Didn't realise that. What was wrong with the one you had on it?

If you've already covered this earlier in the thread you'll have to excuse me, my memory is not great atm mate.

Moleman

damouk

No it's the mates gearbox that will fit in the car without messging about with driveshafts, it's got wider gears in it apparently.

I'm replacing it as a couple of times I've had it where it won't come out of 1st or reverse without a lot of abuse on the gearstick, when stationary. Also if I accelerate very hard in 1st, second it takes a while to release the gear not good...