+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Merlin...

Started by Bulldog Bri, 05, November, 2009, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Fortunatly, most of the hole cutting had already been done as this is almost a rebuild and spraying the car at the end would either mean taking lots of bits back off or tons of masking which would leave areas under the covered parts un painted  :o

8)

Bulldog Bri

Small plea going out to the club...  :-[

Anyone got a reversing switch for a Type 9 gearbox spare. I broke the one in the Merlin as we put the body back down on the chassis. (maybe I should have taken it off first  ::) )

8)

Bulldog Bri

The wheels that came with the car were Alloys but the laquer was flaking off and the metal very tarnished.

I had them liquid blasted (much kinder than shot or bead blasting) this took all the old clear coat off and back to bear metal. 

After toying with the idea of polishing the wheels before repainting and finding that the alloy will scratch very easy, I decieded to paint both the silver and the black parts.

The bear wheel after blasting

Primered

Then the silver spray on

masking up and cutting out

Spraying on the black

After removing all the masking tape, fininshed

8)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Looks very effective Brian, I don't envy you cleaning these wheels in the future.

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: MendipWursel on 17, July, 2010, 08:58:20 AM
Looks very effective Brian, I don't envy you cleaning in these wheels in the future.

Won't be my job. Hehe.  :D

8)

Hairy Santa

Quote from: bulldog bri on 17, July, 2010, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: MendipWursel on 17, July, 2010, 08:58:20 AM
Looks very effective Brian, I don't envy you cleaning in these wheels in the future.

Won't be my job. Hehe.  :D

8)

Do I spy the famous front room table in the last shot - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

'The Gaffer'

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 17, July, 2010, 09:24:11 PM

Do I spy the famous front room table in the last shot - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

YUP!!  ;D

8)

Bulldog Bri

Busy day again.

had the tyres refitted back on the wheels this morning and got the car back down off the blocks  :)

Still trying to fathom out the wiring for the wipers Mini wiper motor to Cortina loom. I've got single speed working but no parking or second speed.  >:(  though I must admit I'm not sure how good the motor is  :-[

'The Gaffer'

Should be just a question of finding the wires from the wiper switch and making sure they make it to the motor with power when switched.

The park is probably an internal thing that just relies on a positive to park the blades when you turn off the wipers.

Have you got a good earth on the motor?

Car is looking good :)

Bulldog Bri

Have managed to spend some time on the Merlin this week.

The wiring at the back is all done now  :D (old number plate just used for spacing the lights)

A new dashboard for IVA. With the guages (hopefully) in the exclusion area behind the steering wheel

Just a little tidying up of the wiring in there a set of warning lights for the dash as well. Get the proper seats back and in (yup, those in there in the pic are from the Gentry  ;D) and carpet.
I've also a few jobs in the engine bay to do and that should be about it.  :D

Start thinking about test drives soon  :P

8)

Quarrycars

Looks great. Some really nice work there. Love the piping round the dash. 8)

Richard

Coming along nicely Bri - think I can spot a few changes  ;)

I had a good chat with VOSA HQ on a few items the other week, quite a few of the inspectors took an early retirement option so those left are getting flooded with workload, quite possibly a common symptom around the place these days.

Happy to come by and have ano look around but think you've covered quite a few of the concerns in those pics already. Good job ! ;D

Bulldog Bri

Yep. will be giving it a good going over this week to get the last few bits sorted. A few more
bits to order (dashlights, new fuel cap and a horn!)

I'll give you a shout when I think it's ready  ;)

Cheers  ;D

paintman

Well done, its coming together nicely. ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 15, August, 2010, 09:46:31 PM
Well done, its coming together nicely. ;)

Agreed, you've worked hard there Bri. Nice job 8)

Bulldog Bri

Took the Merlin for it's first drive yesterday up the back lane.  :D Still no brakes (just the handbrake), think the master cylinder needs stripping down or replacing :(

8)

'Mendip Wurzel'

YellaBelly

Looking really good Brian 8)

Seeing how fast you are coming on with your 'several' projects has kicked me up the butt to get on with mine. Fitted the battery tray yesterday and gonna get stuck in to making up the wiring loom tonight. Might be asking your advice (or anyone else on here who is willing) for plumbing the engine for cooling. Not sure, but I think the radiator is from a polo so the inlet/outlet connections are on the wrong side for the pinto water pump etc.

Anyway, keep up the good work mate  ;) 8)