News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Locost7

Started by Bulldog Bri, 14, May, 2009, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

Nice vid Brian and such verbal restraint when the lever broke!  8) :P :D

Moleman

garry h

Very clever great result  :)

Bulldog Bri

Dusty's all finished now guy's :P

What a Birthday pressie to myself, all the paperwork came through today. Got the plates made up and been for a little run. Now looking forward even more to the warmer weather. ;D

8)

Daley Down Under

That does look very tidy Bri  :D

Bulldog Bri

Moleman

That's great news mate. I wonder which one will be at the Santa Run?  :D

Bulldog Bri

Help...... something just locked up on the rear axle. Stuck on the ring road near sainsburys  :'(

Iancider

Hi Brian,

HELP IS ON THE WAY ED IS COMING TO YOUR RESCUE

WHAT A CLUB THIS IS - BETTER THAN THE AA NOW!

benchmark51

Are you sorted? you have my phone number. Dave

Moleman

You should have rang me mate. You know I was 2 mins from there.  :) Did you get home ok?

Bulldog Bri

All I can say is 'What a fantastic club this is' Big thank you to Ed for the rescue. We had to drag the car up on to the trailer as the back wheels weren't turning. By the look of it we think it's probably the gearbox as when the car was lifted the rear wheels would turn, one forwards the other backwards so the diff is working and the brakes not locked. Will know more tomorrow.

8)

Lucky Ed

No problems Bri, it's all part of the service - anyway it got me out of watching tonights gripping installment
of IACGMOOH ;D

PS I hope you enjoyed your birthday kebab :o ;D

'The Gaffer'

Fantastic. What a great club we have here 8)

Bulldog Bri

Well, I've got the prop disconnected from the rear diff' and as thought, the diff has ceased! :'( The wheels still turn (in opposite directions) so the planetary gears are still working that leaves the input shaft to the diff itself. New referb' kit on order, in the mean time I've got to get the back axle out.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Hope all goes well Bri. It will be nice to see the car on the road after all your hard work.

YellaBelly

Did you setup the diff yourself Bri or was it already built up? I had a nightmare on my Locost sorting out the backlash without the necessary equipment. I simply set it for slight binding and then backed off until there was a couple of mm of play. Seemed to work OK. If it was already setup, then I wonder what seized and why?

Hope you get it sorted mate ;)

Keep us informed.

Bulldog Bri

Nope, I just stuck the axle in from off the donor, it's always had a slight weep of oil from the gasket and over time it had probably just got to low. never checked it :-[

Stripping and rebuilding the diff' is gonna be another learning curve and maybe asking lots of Q's later.

Spent this morning undoing everything attached to the axle ready for removal. Just hope it comes out ok. ::)

8)

Bulldog Bri

Rear axle stripped down now and the diff removed. Took it down to Gloucester Road Gearboxes yesterday with a new set of bearings (strip and rebuild £100+vat) but told me the crown and pinion gears were also worn :'(

So I've ordered a new set off of Ebay and will get it done in the new year. Have also found a little welding in a very awkward place that needs to be redone as well just to add to my annoyance >:(

8)

Iancider

QuoteHave also found a little welding in a very awkward place that needs to be redone as well just to add to my annoyance

Chuck a towel in bucket of water when doing those -you never know when something is going to catch fire. :o

Good luck Bri.

Swampy

Awesome thread. Just about ready to look at putting my car into the IVA process myself. Look forward to a list as short as yours for re test. Do you have any more pics or details about your seatbelt mounts? Nice work and a late congratulations.

Bulldog Bri

I'll take some pic's of the seatbelt mounts over the weekend for you. ;)

8)

YellaBelly

Found a couple of pictures of my Locost build that may help. The plates were 3mm steel welded at all contact points and an M12 nut welded to the rear. The ones in the roll hoop were about 50mm long 2mm seamless running through the hoop and fully welded top and bottom. I know the welding won't win prizes, but it was very solid I can assure you :)

Found it rather sad looking at the old pictures, I need to build something :(

Swampy

Thanks Both.
Did these pass a curent iva inspection yella belly?

Bulldog Bri

Here are my seatbelt mounts.

This is the top one on the roll bar. Its a tube welded through the roll bar at both ends.

This is the lower outside one, this also doubles up as part of the rear suspension

And this is about the best view I can get of the one on the propshaft tunnel lower bracket

All lower ones are 3mm steal and have nyloc's on and yes they passed the IVA, though the thickness of the steal used was questioned on the first test but proved to be correct on the re-test

8)

YellaBelly

Quote from: Swampy on 24, January, 2015, 08:49:17 AM
Thanks Both.
Did these pass a curent iva inspection yella belly?

Yep, failed first time on four minor and one issue with the brakes locking the rear wheels before the front, but nothing to do with the seat belts.

Bulldog Bri

I got my diff back today and they even delivered it back to me (the guy that did the work lives just down the road ;) so dropped it off on his way home ;D)

New crown wheel, pinion and bearings.

Can't wait to get back up in the garage to start putting it all back together.

8)

Iancider

Hand a flag on it "no oil" and put another one on the steering wheel for luck!
Ian

Bulldog Bri

With the diff put back in and the axle in place, I refilled with oil only to find the next day a puddle of oil the size of a dinner plate on the floor, turns out a pinprick hole in the rear diff cover. Repaired this with some fuel tank repair putty then some thick engine enamel and then some Hammerite.

Now with it all rebuilt, it's ready for the better weather when it comes.

And here's a little video of the whole build from start to finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wb9lsiwQuY&feature=youtu.be

8)

Moleman

longtimecoming

It must have been the last visit to Queens Square that got you going again. Well done Bri', I'm just a bit jealous.  :)

Iancider

Good job Bri,

Longer than a Norwegian Saga but you got there - 11 out of 10 for perseverance!

Regards
Ian

YellaBelly

Nice one Bri! I had a similar issue with the McSorley, when I had it in bits before the build, I checked some suspicious looking marks and shining a torch in there showed lots of pin-prick holes! :o I used JB Weld (aptly named I thought :D) and painted it with Hammerite and last I heard it was still holding true (unless anyone has heard different?)

Bulldog Bri

Took Dusty out for a spin today, just a few miles and a little traffic, looks like I've some cooling issues to sort out even with the fan on it was getting towards the wrong end of the temp gauge. Looks like I've not got enough openings for the air to go, so I'm going to cut some vents in the underside panels in the engine bay.

Other than that Dusty is going great and really happy with how well it goes with such a small engine. :P

8)

benchmark51

I had similar issues in the warm weather although Ratbag would behave ok below 55mph, at 70 or above it started it's kettle impressions. Losing the thermostat didn't help at all, but a larger bottom hose did help,
What made a big difference were the vents above the exhaust manifold. I may cut vents in the sides too.
The problem is really getting rid of the hot air out of the engine compartment, the tunnel just doesn't pass it out quick enough.

Camber Dave

Hi Brian

Rather than push Hot air downhill, try some vents in the bonnet top or at the back of the bonnet sides then natural ventilation will do most of the work, especially when going slow or stopped.
Even better copy the Westfield ducted Rad layout. Colin and Ian both have them I think.

I recognize that test route in the build vid.... 4  years ago!

Moleman

Your welcome to take some pictures & measurements on your way home from work mate.  :)

Bulldog Bri

Hope your referring to your westie :o

Actually got this week off so plenty of time to play with the car. ;D But may have a look another time. ;)

8)

Moleman

I'm not shy so choice is yours mate.  :P  :P

Bulldog Bri