News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Locost7

Started by Bulldog Bri, 14, May, 2009, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Here's my first go at a solution, I cut slots in the floor of the engine by then twisted the metal to form the vents, should give a fair bit of extra flow through the bay. ::)

8)

Bulldog Bri

Well finally got around to trying a different Temp gauge in the Locost, I borrowed the one from my Bulldog ::). Took it out for a run up the ring road and it never went above halfway, around 70degress. Result. :P Now I just need to find a set of Smith gauges that match. Any Auto jumbles coming up soon? (or any spare in the back of anyone's garage ;))

8)

paintman

70 degrees!! :o :o,  mine runs at 85+ degrees travelling normally.  ::)

A matched set will probably give you a higher reading I would say Bri.

Iancider

The ideal running temperature is around 86 degrees.  Too hot and it will tend to pink (or boil) and too cold it will run under-power due to slower combustion.  I can offer you an infra-red thermometer to measure the head temperature when warm and the gauge should indicate that same as the actual temperature.

Regards
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 20, July, 2015, 11:16:21 PM
The ideal running temperature is around 86 degrees.  Too hot and it will tend to pink (or boil) and too cold it will run under-power due to slower combustion.  I can offer you an infra-red thermometer to measure the head temperature when warm and the gauge should indicate that same as the actual temperature.

Regards
Ian

Blimey Ian, never mind 'super-hero member' I think they should make a new category for you 'super-helpful-guru member' !!!!!!  (and no I am not being facetious, I am serious, your knowledge base is incredible!)

paintman

Quote from: Iancider on 20, July, 2015, 11:16:21 PM

Regards
Ian

While were on the subject of temperature, is it a problem if it rises to 100 degrees when the car is being hammered or at a steady "high speed" Ian? ::)    (sorry to borrow your thread Bri.) ;)

Bulldog Bri

The reading of 70 ish degrees was just a quick run up the ring road and back again plus I had the rad fan on through habit.

Just for my own peace of mind I do like to run my cars more on the cooler side to give a bit more safety net before boiling.

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Ian is dead right about there being an 'optimum' running temp for engines, they are not designed to run too cool, or too hot, but 'just right' Goldilocks!

I am always tempted to manually override my fan and have it on but I don't cos it keeps the engine too cool. I always put it on for my mile or two cool down after a blat though to be kind to the old girl.

Water only boils at 100 degrees C at standard atmospheric pressure anyway, with antifreeze in it should not boil until higher than that and as the system will have pressure in it, it will be higher yet again so if yr engine boils you have a BAD problem with yr engine and/or cooling issues, 'cos it means it's way above 100 degrees!

If I've got any of this wrong I'm sure Ian will put me straight (it's been a while since I was at college!!)

I think maybe Ian (creep, creep) should bring his infra-red thermometer along one day so we can all check our in-car temp gauges are accurate see if we are running at 'optimum' engine temp. What do you reckon Ian, £5 a go??? lol!!  :D

Facial Hair Optional

Bloody hell! I thought they'd be an arm and a leg!!

Your (ok, my) money making plan has been rumbled Ian!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Got mine for £8 off an app called Geek. ;D Lots of stuff on there direct from the far east ;) takes a little while to come through but does arrive eventually. Lol

8)

damouk

Checking the temp with an ir thermometer I think is a good idea in general, the guy who built the v-storm calibrated it to over read by 10 degrees, which masked part of my original problem. With it recalibrated it runs just over the 68 degrees marked on the thermostat on a cold day.

The ir thermometer is also good for checking you have an even temp across your tyres to determine the best pressure

Camber Dave

QuoteThe ir thermometer is also good for checking you have an even temp across your tyres to determine the best pressure

And Camber on track - Equal outside and centre + 5deg C on the inside.

Also on the exhaust manifold for correct running/carb tuning.

Bulldog Bri

Finally got around to repairing the front wing bracket, that snapped when Anna was bringing the car back from the Queens Sq meet in September!

Ordered up some 10mm solid bar, removed the snapped piece and replaced it with 2 bars side by side and welded together. Feels a lot stronger now.

bolted back in place. Just the wing indicator to sort out.

Then it's just the rear wing to refit and the fuel tank to repair with the POR-15 kit and Dusty should be back on the road. ::)

8)

sanzomat

Nice work Bri. Was starting to wonder where you've been!

Moleman

'The Gaffer'

Still keeping busy then Bri 8)

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: sanzomat on 22, February, 2016, 09:55:26 PM
Nice work Bri. Was starting to wonder where you've been!
Snowed under with car jobs. Mines been a bit of a pig most the winter with running problems (think it's sorted now). Anna's car the Locost and even the Half a dog trailer need work and what with al this damp pants weather I've very unexcited about going up the garage to do any of the work. :-[

8)