News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

The Locost7

Started by Bulldog Bri, 14, May, 2009, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

Ok! Well yes Dusty failed :(

Quick run down of what it failed on:-

1. Horn didn't work! (due to blown fuse, sorted)
2. Interior mirror must be fitted (need to find one that meets IVA requirements)
3. Side mirrors, though the glass was the right size didn't stick out far enough for good visibility (need to change)
4. Brake light dash warning light, no test switch or activation on the handbrake. (wire something up)
5. Brakes on the front not balanced. (Probably just buy new callipers rather than stripping the old ones down) Service the rear ones.
6. Couple of surfaces and edges need covering in hard rubber type material (Thick rubber should do)
7. Seatbelt mounting brackets weren't thick enough steal (only 2mm instead of 4mm, will double up and weld a second layer over)
8. Seatbelt upper mount point wasn't adequate (needs crush tube welded through the full width of the roll bar)
9. Couple of parts of the chassis stick out a little to far so need sorting (will reshape so not sticking out so far)
10. Speedo was reading a slight bit slower than actual speed up to 50mph then was ok. (Might have to change to electronic speedo)
11. Remove the bloody DRL's, new set with small inline fuse still had only 4 LED's working when tested on one side (Grrrrrrrr)
12. Headlights were to dim (check wiring and earths)
13. Hazard warning lights didn't work (Blown fuse, sorted)
14. Indicators didn't work (blown fuse, sorted)
15. Brake light decided to not work! (check bulb and wiring)
16. Headlamps need adjusting (on re-test)
17. Not a correct rear fog light (wasn't bright enough and not correctly marked (Duh)
18. Declared weight of vehicle wasn't quite enough (re-declare at re-test)
19. Small bit of re-welding on front lower wishbone (oops)
20. Missing lock nuts on front track rods (source new)
21. O/S front wing touches the body on full lock (restrict steering movement somehow)
22. Steering column needs redoing as U/J had to much play (buy new U/J and get re-welded on to tube)
23. Fuel filter bit to loose (needs securing)
24. Weld in some bracing for the roll bar
25. Tidy up rear wiring. (few stray wires)

The good bit

self-centering of the steering was one of the best he'd tested

I've now got 6 months to get all these little bits sorted for a re-test or it's the whole thing again  ???

8)

fullpint

:( Looks like a long list there Bri!!! Mind you most can be sorted with ease.. Fingers crossed for the re-test.. Look forward to seeing the Locost7 on the road mate  :D

Bulldog Bri

Oh, and the seats need under floor bracing (Not just bolted through the floor :-[)

8)

Moleman

Well the day started off ok even the ballon's came out to see us start.

Then a nervous Bri takes Dusty to be tested.

The tester was nice & friendly But my hat goes off to anyone who builds from scratch as this test would really put me off from doing it. I would say 75% of it is justified but also 25% with silly things that really is stupid.  ::)

Daley Down Under

Sorry to hear that Bri - that's quite a list to get through.  One at time - tick them off and you'll soon be back again.  At least you now have a finite scope.

Cheers Adrian

benchmark51

Quite a lot of the stuff they require gets dumped after the test because it is just stupid. A bit like the driving test really. You learn everything it takes to pass the test, then after the test is out the way you learn how to drive.

With all these silly nut covers and edge beading rules, why not put a big plastic cover over the front of the car for test purposes. Much the same as modern cars are anyway.

YellaBelly

I know the feeling Bri, as you know mine failed the first go. Just look at the list as a 'do this and she'll pass' list ;)

A lot of them jobs will be dead easy to sort to a man of your calibre :D

Still plenty of time to get her sorted for the remainder of the summer.

stevel

Hi Bri,

The list looks okay to fix for a man of your skills.  The steering is relatively easy to limit.  It sounds a bit of a bodge but pull back the inner gaiters and clamp a jubilee clip around the steering rod to stop it going into the rack housing.  That is what is fitted to my Tiger rack and it works just fine and a very common mod to prevent fouling on suspension tie bar.

Good luck with it, soon be on the road.

Lucky Ed

Good luck getting through your list Bri. Nothing there too difficult or expensive I hope, I'm sure you'll soon rattle through 'em and be on the road later this summer. I admire you builder guys for putting yourselves through this ordeal 8)

'The Gaffer'

Unlucky Bri. I'm sure you will get it sorted.

garry h

Im sure you will get her through next time no problem,still plenty of summer left to enjoy  :) :)

Iancider

Bri,

That type of fuse is infamous for bad connections - they don't form air-tight seals like blade fuses so when you have cleaned the fuses it is wise to put a dab of vaseline on each end covering the whole contact.  That stops the oxidation and bad contacts.

Ian

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Iancider on 09, August, 2014, 09:12:42 PM
Bri,

That type of fuse is infamous for bad connections - they don't form air-tight seals like blade fuses so when you have cleaned the fuses it is wise to put a dab of vaseline on each end covering the whole contact.  That stops the oxidation and bad contacts.

Ian

Good idea! I'll get some off Pete, hopefully not used ;)

8)

Bulldog Bri

Warning

To any other builders out there, we were told during my IVA that all VOSA test centres are being closed down, no date as yet. All IVA's will be done by private company's. Whether this will be good for the kit industry or not remains to be seen, but any change normally means bad news!

8)

Iancider

Mine was tested a Kidderminster and was the last kit car tested there.  Bit of an over-reaction I thought but I didn't take it personally!  ;D

So Kidderminster will from now on only do Commercials, Ambulances and Fire Engines.

The problem seems to be that there is no Minister for Kit Cars.  Who should we nominate?

Candidates should be honourable, reliable, honsest, pro-British, dependable, decent, consistent, thoughtful, kind and considerate, good with their hands, born of common blood, sympathetic to industry, good at making commitments and answering questions, must represent our views...

Bummer - can't think of any! 

YellaBelly

Quote from: Iancider on 21, August, 2014, 12:10:48 PM
......The problem seems to be that there is no Minister for Kit Cars.  Who should we nominate?

Candidates should be honourable, reliable, honest, pro-British, dependable, decent, consistent, thoughtful, kind and considerate, good with their hands, born of common blood, sympathetic to industry, good at making commitments and answering questions, must represent our views.....

Easy one that, Hairy :D :P plus he's got several cars too :D

Iancider

Easy one that, Hairy :D :P plus he's got several cars too :D

Gosh, it was obvious really.

So HairySanta is now El Presidente and is herby elected to Parliament with one vote just like most people called El Presidente - a kind of General Election - you know like those where the same Generals keep electing themselves.

Good thinking Yellabelly.

mittaw

Thanks for posting the iva list up Bri. It's really useful.  We're doing ours from scratch so all this is really useful to see especially at our early stage.  The seat belt fixings are of interest as we're looking at our frame and roll bar position at the moment.  Good luck with the fixes and retest.  All looks doable.

Bulldog Bri

Ok! Well yes Dusty failed :(

Work progressing very well here,

Quick run down of what it failed on:-

1. Horn didn't work! (due to blown fuse, sorted) Fixed
2. Interior mirror must be fitted New one fitted
3. Side mirrors, though the glass was the right size didn't stick out far enough for good visibility New ones fitted
4. Brake light dash warning light, no test switch or activation on the handbrake. (wire something up)
5. Brakes on the front not balanced. New caplipers fitted Service the rear ones.
6. Couple of surfaces and edges need covering in hard rubber type material (Thick rubber should do)
7. Seatbelt mounting brackets weren't thick enough steal (only 2mm instead of 4mm, will double up and weld a second layer over)Have checked and they were 4mm
8. Seatbelt upper mount point wasn't adequate (needs crush tube welded through the full width of the roll bar) Drilled out and ready for tube welding
9. Couple of parts of the chassis stick out a little to far so need sorting (will reshape so not sticking out so far) New covers made
10. Speedo was reading a slight bit slower than actual speed up to 50mph then was ok. (Might have to change to electronic speedo)
11. Remove the bloody DRL's, new set with small inline fuse still had only 4 LED's working when tested on one side (Grrrrrrrr) Gone
12. Headlights were to dim (check wiring and earths)
13. Hazard warning lights didn't work (Blown fuse)
14. Indicators didn't work (blown fuse, sorted) Flasher unit blown again
15. Brake light decided to not work! Fixed
16. Headlamps need adjusting (on re-test)
17. Not a correct rear fog light (wasn't bright enough and not correctly marked New one fitted
18. Declared weight of vehicle wasn't quite enough (re-declare at re-test)
19. Small bit of re-welding on front lower wishbone (oops)
20. Missing lock nuts on front track rods (source new)
21. O/S front wing touches the body on full lock Thanks Steve for the fix
22. Steering column needs redoing as U/J had to much play New made up with new U/J's
23. Fuel filter bit to loose (needs securing)
24. Weld in some bracing for the roll bar Bracing bars made ready for welding
25. Tidy up rear wiring. Done
26. Seats didn't have any chassis bars to bolt on to Angle iron bolted to chassis

The good bit

self-centering of the steering was one of the best he'd tested

I've now got 6 months to get all these little bits sorted for a re-test or it's the whole thing again  ???

8)

Iancider

Gosh,

You don't hang about Brian - well done or is that weld done already?  ;D

Bulldog Bri

Nah, all the welding is prepped and ready to be done, had the steering U/J's done by a neighbour, just waiting on a couple of bits then he can come over and do the rest.

8)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Didn't fail on much then...

Pilgrim Anna

Your doing really well. Shouldn't be long before retest ;)

Moleman

Another one to tick off the list mate.  You can pick it up any time.  :D

Not having any luck with the locking nuts that size with the fine thread though.  :(

Bulldog Bri

They look the biz mate, Thanks loads. Don't worry about me nuts, think I've found them on Ebay. ;) Gonna give these a try 161125642945

8)

benchmark51

you could try

Chris at
Kembrell Nuts and Bolts Ltd
Unit 2A
Cater Road
Bishopsworth Industrial Estate
BS13 7TW

0117 983 0022

Chris was mega helpful when I was stuck for bolts for my type 9, had them on the shelf!

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for that Dave. If those nuts I've ordered aren't the right ones then I'll go see him. :)

8)

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: benchmark51 on 30, August, 2014, 11:36:03 PM
you could try

Chris at
Kembrell Nuts and Bolts Ltd
Unit 2A
Cater Road
Bishopsworth Industrial Estate
BS13 7TW

0117 983 0022

Chris was mega helpful when I was stuck for bolts for my type 9, had them on the shelf!
I got the nut through from Ebay, But no, the tread wasn't fine enough. :( So I dropped by Kembrell Nuts and Bolts and after a little searching he found a couple that did the job.

Fantastic place there, good size unit just full of all sizes of nuts and bolts (as you'd expect going by the name ;)) and very helpful. Thanks to Chris, and to Dave for the tip. ;D

8)

Moleman

Not long now then mate.  :)

Pilgrim Anna

Hopefully get it on road before winter hits!! ???

Bulldog Bri

Well it's all done. Call up VOSA this morning and the earliest they can book me in is the end of the month :( after being told on the test day that I just need to simply call and drop the car by for a quick check over that all the work has been done. Now I'm being told it's a 2 hour re-test! Plus the 2 guys down there, 1 is on long term sick at the mo and the other is off sick! >:( :'( ???

And also Colins unsure whether he can help on that date to... Anyone else available on the 27th Oct round 11:30 till 3ish with a trailer and tow vehicle? :-[

8)

'The Gaffer'

I sympathise with you Bri, what a nightmare ::)

benchmark51

I'll help, but haven't got the tow vehicle or trailer. At a push can tow you on a rope?

YellaBelly

That is why I would never do another build requiring the IVA Bri! Too costly and too much hassle! Let's hope it all gets sorted out soon mate and you can get on with the next phase........'the fettling'.....lol!

Iancider

Bri,

I think I could help if nobody else can if Ed could oblige with his trailer.  I have a hitch and Ed is not too far from you and I have tie-down have straps.  I will need to check my diary at work but I think I could do this.  Its good to have company for these things and I do sympathize with the waiting - they kept me hanging on for 5 months until every vestige of the summer had gone.

I will confirm as soon as I can.  Still look on the bright side - when you get it on the road there is no chance of an overheating problem!  ;D

Ian

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Iancider on 03, October, 2014, 09:06:12 PM

Still look on the bright side - when you get it on the road there is no chance of an overheating problem!  ;D

Ian

Well not till the warmer weather again. :P

Thanks Ian, will keep you up to date ;D

8)

Lucky Ed

I should be able to take you down Bri, I'll check over the weekend. I'm sure between us we'll get you there somehow.

Whatever you do don't cancel the date they've given you 8)

Bulldog Bri

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: YellaBelly on 03, October, 2014, 04:31:48 PM
You can get on with the next phase........'the fettling'.....lol!

I have started fettling, sort of, fuel tank is out and found the fuel sender is nackered and the temp gauge is also defunked, so looking for a replacement Mini Temp gauge ::) (neither were picked up in the IVA!)

8)