News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Furore Build

Started by Quarrycars, 23, May, 2010, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

Well I've ordered a Furore F1 kit and got a MR2 donor car.  Thanks to club member Phil Lane for spending time to share information on his Furore build.  The plan is to complete as much of the build as possible here in mid Wales then ship the car to the USA (anyone know a good shipping company) and have fun driving it in a California and Arizona.
I hadn't driven a MR2 before but after a bit of a blast around the lanes I can understand why there is an enthusiastic MR2 Mk1 club.  However the body on this one is extensively lightened by the ferrous oxide process and looks like it there have been several bodged attempts to repair it previously so I won't feel bad about breaking it up.
I should get the kit in July and will try to post updates as the build progresses.

Bulldog Bri

Hey Great. Shame we won't get to see it here  :'(

But sure you'll send us plenty of pic's from the desert runs  :D

Good luck with the build.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Excellent, will turn a few heads I'm sure :)

Richard

Brilliant idea - not sure on shipping companies but will ask a friend who has moved some cars before.

Have a good deal of fun - not the Mk1 but a certain MR2 in work is running just over 600bhp, that would be a bit fierce in something with no weight.

Furore Phil

Time to jack in the programming job and start up as a salesman  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Phil on 25, May, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
Time to jack in the programming job and start up as a salesman  ;D

At least a commision Phil ;)

Quarrycars

Quote from: Richard on 25, May, 2010, 12:11:42 PM
Brilliant idea - not sure on shipping companies but will ask a friend who has moved some cars before.

Have a good deal of fun - not the Mk1 but a certain MR2 in work is running just over 600bhp, that would be a bit fierce in something with no weight.
Any information on shipping would be appreciated, rolling chassis or crated?
I'm finding my way around Toyota engines, the 4AG seems to have a lot of potential.  I plan to ship the car without the engine and install a JDM or NAS engine there, there are 20 valve - 6 speed versions available but that may depend on budget.

Quarrycars

After the application of lots of penetrating oil the donor has been persuaded to give up it's components.  Learned a lot about the MR2, like that the intake tract is 12' long!  A very nicely engineered car though.
Next job, overhaul the brake calipers and modify the uprights to work with double wishbones.  Does anyone have experience with caliper paints?

Bulldog Bri

Not personally, but there was this thread on the Locost Forum resently.  :D

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=136981

Lots of useful banter on this site

8)

'The Gaffer'

Furore Phil

Wow ! thats putting me to shame. I still need to remove the engine.

I have used Halfords caliper paints in the past. Seem ok, took a few coats to get a good colour though. Problem is I didn't keep the car long enough to get a lasting impression.

Richard

pm sent on car shipping to US.

hope it helps.

Quarrycars

Quarrycars

Some progress, calipers all rebuilt and painted, uprights modified, now just need a chassis to bolt them on.  Hope to pick up the kit next week, been delayed by updates to the body and chassis.  I think they are making a 'F' duct and blown diffuser! :-X

David H

Tasty recon job. its a shame the discs will never look so nice again....

Bulldog Bri

Looking very nice, hope you'll be putting wheels on that will show all the hard work  ;D

8)

Furore Phil

Wow! - now that's neat.

How did you get them that good ?  Mine have got some real heavy pitting on them. Where did you get all the rubber "bellows" bit;
s from ? I can't find any place that sells them.

Quarrycars

Used just about every tool in my kit, wire brushes, scrapers, flap wheels, grinders, The rust is incredably tough.  Most effective seemed to be a flap disk on the angle grinder and course files of various radiuses.
The seal kits came from Bigg Red, have a problem with the dust boots on the rear main slider pins, the parts in the kit are wrong and despite numerous phone calls and e-mails with photos and dimensions they haven't been able to sort the problem.  In fairness they have offered to sort it if I send them the calipers.  The original ones are OK and I'm useing them at the moment, easy to change later.
This is what they looked like before I started:

YellaBelly

Nice job there chap :D

Not sure if you already know, but have you tried electrolysis for resut removal?

It works great and basically cleans the item rather than stripping off too much material.

I used it for my calipers etc and found it a real painless exercise. It's never going to get the same smooth finish as when you uese brushes and files etc, but it sure is a whole lot easier ;)

JB

Quarrycars

Never tried electrolysis, didn't think it would work on the hard black rust on the castings.  Did you use the battery charger method, how long did you have to let it operate?  Should be a lot better than covering the workshop with ferrous oxide dust!

YellaBelly

Yep, used the charger and had the whole lot in the Boss's mop bucket for around 12-15hrs I guess. I can't remember the ratio of crystals to water but don't be tempted to make it stronger in the hope of speeding things up, it doesn't work (apparently ;) :) )

I'd certainly use the method again though, like you say, much beter than covering everything in red dust!

Quarrycars

Picked up most of the kit yesterday, the nose is being redesigned so that will come later.  Certainly doesn't look like a simple bolt together job, needs plenty of builder input, which I enjoy! ;D
Probaly be  a couple of weeks before it's on the road :D  Seriously though I have a couple of months before it needs to be in a crate on it's way to Arizona ???

Bulldog Bri

I like the pic of the kit looking out of the garage at it's donor  :D

So are you aiming to have the car roadworthy before you go?

If not how easy is it over there to get a kit car registered?

8)

Quarrycars

I want to get most of the construction done here and have the car basically complete, then remove the engine and crate it.  I have limited resources over there I'm hopeing to be able to bolt in a US spec engine, get it painted and licensed in AZ.
It seems to be fairly easy to license a vehicle in Arizona, it does have to be inspected but all it needs is lights and a horn, I think they just want to see that it is roadworthy and not built from stolen parts!

Furore Phil

Hey nice ! looks good. :D

I see you have the air box, it wasn't available when I got my car. Does it look good fitted ?

Any idea why Russ is redesigning the nose ?, doesn't seem to be any problems that I can see.

Quarrycars

Hi Phil,
Haven't figured out the fit of any of the plastic bits yet but the airbox seems like a good moulding.
I think Russ wants the nose to look more like the one on the first car.

Quarrycars

On it's (tempory) wheels for suspension check:

On the bumps:

Full droop:

Well that bit works! ;D

Quarrycars

The Boss checks out the rear seat:

Hope she will be as happy when she finds out there will be a hot, noisy engine just behind her. :-X

Bulldog Bri

Looks good.

Any chance of a pic from above, to show the inboard suspension?

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quarrycars

Quote from: bulldog bri on 12, August, 2010, 08:40:47 AM

Any chance of a pic from above, to show the inboard suspension?

8)
Here without the springs, one side on full extension the other full comporess.

Furore Phil

Wow - talk about progress ! - you have almost caught up to me ! and I've been at it for a year and a half   :o

Does look very good though, gives me something to aim for  :D

Bulldog Bri

Looks like some side panels have been added as well now since the first pics  ;)

8)

Quarrycars

This was one perfectly good sheet of 1.2 mm aluminum before I attacked it with snips. ???

Now I just have to rivet and bond it all to the chassis.

Bulldog Bri

On first glimse of the photo, I thought you were designing a new Fighter aircraft  :o

8)

Quarrycars

Well it does have a pointy nose and wings but hopefully it's going to stay firmly stuck to the ground. :)

Furore Phil

Looking good !

I was thinking of attaching the passenger / engine fire wall via rivnuts to allow access to the front of the engine (i.e. oil filter etc). What do you think ?

Would probably need some form of sealing strip bewteen the sheet and chassis to cut down on fumes etc.

Quarrycars

Good point, I think access to the front of the engine will be better than it was on the original but I'll test fit the engine before I rivet the rear panel and let you know.

Quarrycars

Hoipefully this is the only time it will be this way up!

Bottom looks a bit vulnerable, maybe a 10 mm plank like a 'real' F1 may not be a bad idea!

Furore Phil

And hopefully there won't be showers of sparks shooting out from underneath like in the good old days ! ;D