Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Furore Build

Started by Quarrycars, 23, May, 2010, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

Steering column and pedal box ready to install:

Getting a bit crowded down at the pointy end:

Hope there is room in there for my size 12s ???

Quarrycars

Engine instalation check:

This isn't the engine I'll be useing.

Quarrycars

Furore Phil

Bulldog Bri

Come on Phil. Where's all your pic's? You should be at least rolling chassis as well!  ;D

8)

Furore Phil

Please don't laugh at my expression... oh and yes I did do Brooom Brooom noises...

Bulldog Bri

Nice one Phil, think you'll  find a similar pic  in everyones build dairy photo's. I know I'm guilty of doing it  ;D

8)

Quarrycars

Having discovered how much work is involved in building this thing I'm impressed with what Phil has done in a limited space and with a young family and a full time job ;D
There are advantages to being old and having time on ones hands :)

Quarrycars

Been busy fitting body panels and sidepods, got the new nose, now much higher like current F1 but makes mounting the wings more of a challenge.  Currently way too flexy, OK for Red Bull but needs to be a bit more robust for the road :).

'The Gaffer'

Looking great, shame we wont see the car at a meet, will we??

Quarrycars

Sorry no, putting it in a crate next week to go to Arizona, we will follow a week later.
Looks like Phil's build is going well so you should get to see a Furore soon ;D.

Quarrycars

Roll Out

Still needs some work, like lights, wiring, wheels, paint ... and an engine ???

The obligatory sitin' an' grinin' picture ::)

'The Gaffer'

Wow, that really is progress, well done that man :)

Quarrycars

The car gets ready for it's trip to Arizona:

A tight fit in the van:

Ready to be crated:

The next time I see it will be in Long Beach CA
Fingers crossed. 8)

'The Gaffer'

I hope you and your car have a safe journey. Keep posting the pics, this has been a very interesting build story.

Unlikely you will be shipping the car back next summer?

Furore Phil

Now that is going to look good cruising around California ! Hope mine turns out as nice.

Very tight fit in the van ! I had to rent the extra extra long wheel base to get mine in.

I'm fitting all the engine ancillaries and electrics at the moment. Just finished a small mount for the ECU.

Hope the journey goes well for you and the missus !

Quarrycars

Thanks Phil and Phil for the good wishes, no plans to ship it back but if it goes well I may build another one next year, or somthing else. ???

Where are you mounting your ECU, I was thinking of the LH pod by the fuel tank to get some cooling, it's mounted outside the engine compartment on the MR2, not sure what it's temperature limit is.

Good luck with your build, hope to see it up and running when we get back next year. ;D

Furore Phil

I've mounted mine on the very rear of the car. Ok it might get a little close to the exhaust - but it should be ok with some heat sheiding.

Ok a little odd place to mount it, but the loom restricted me to that area, there is a large connector for all the sensors etc that forced me to mount it around there.

I'll have to open it up to see what's in there. I don't think they used much in the way of processors etc, so it should be much more resistant than modern cars.

Quarrycars

Yea you are right, heat buildup not a big issue, there are probaly just a couple of power circuits for the injectors, the ECU is not in a vented area on the MR2.  Dirt and moisture comtamination could be a problem though, the connectors and ECU itself don't have any form of sealing as it's original location is in a 'clean' area.  I don't know if anyone makes a suitable sealed box for mounting under the bonnet.  You may find somthing in the scrap yard, I think the older P38 Range Rovers had a sealed box next to the battery for the ECU, later LRs had boxs with cooling fans for the Bosch ECUs.

Furore Phil

Thanks for the info, didn;t think there would be much in there. I night try Maplin's - they sell sealed metal boxes that should cope with moisture & heat transfer.

Forgot to ask - where did you get the large connector that I assume you are using to disconnect the lights ? I havn't found anything suitable.

Also - what grade wire did you use for the battery cable ? I'm used to working in amps, but all this automotive cable seems to be graded in awg and strands.

Quarrycars

The standard for wire sizes is Cross Sectional Area (CSA) in square mm although AWG is still used.  I'll send you a table that has CSA/AWG conversions and sizes and lengths for different Amps and Watts.  Even with the long run for the batt + cable on the Furore 25 mm CSA should be adequate, I got Russ to send me a 4 meters of cable when he was shipping the car kit parts, I think it's 35 mm CSA.

I haven't done anything with the wiring yet, I've saved the harnesses off the donor but not sure how much I will use.  Probally end up getting Weatherpac connectors for the different sections.

Quarrycars

After four weeks at sea and a week to clear US customs the car has made it to it's new home.  The new wheels look good, still got to find an engine and lights.

Furore Phil

Glad it survived the trip ok !

The wheels look even better than I thought. The red highlight really adds something.

I attached the first body panel today ! the left hand side of the car. Might take a little while for silicone to cure in this weather. Yes it's horrible and cold over here. I guess you are in shorts and T-Shirt ?

'The Gaffer'

Nice to see the car had a safe journey :) looking forward to some more pics

Bulldog Bri

Fantastic news. Great pic's. Pleased it got there safely for you.  ;D

8)

Quarrycars

Quote from: Phil on 21, November, 2010, 07:25:43 PM
I guess you are in shorts and T-Shirt ?
Actually the pics are at our daughters place in the high desert, about 6C and a howling gale, rain and snow on it's way.  Tried to outrun the storm on the way to Arizona, didn't make it, car got a thorough soaking but seemed to have come through OK.

Quarrycars

Found an engine at local scrapy, not many MR2s about the 4-AG was also fitted to the Corolla and Chevy Nova but haven't come across one of those.  The problem is that the cars round here don't rust;

1985 MR2 totaly rust free!

This engine has been overheated enough to melt the plug caps, only 1 good compression, maybe just a head gasket ??? but at least I can get the plumbing and wiring started.

'The Gaffer'

Its a shame thats all you could get your hands on, but at least you have an engine :)

Will you be rebuilding it yourself? What are the logistics of getting a good one shipped from the UK?

Quarrycars

Yea, the engine was cheap and local and keeps the project moving along.  I'll pull the head and see if it can be salvaged, I think it will be easier to get it registered with a standard US spec engine.
As far as I can tell the 4-AG was only in UK and US cars sold in the '80s so they are all getting a bit long in the tooth.  The Japenese Domestic Market (JDM) used the 20 valve version up until 2002.  There are several JDM engine suppliers in the US the, 20V 6 speed would be the hot setup.  I know MR2 enthusiasts have fitted them in the Mk1.

Furore Phil

That engine is Blue - odd.

There's quite a bit of info on wikipedia, but it does show that there were a few different versions of the engine.

Had a quick look on ebay, only a few available in the US !

Are there any engine tuners available ? in the UK we have Raw engineering. They import 4-AG engines and tune them up a bit. If I manage to get funds I may fit one after registration.

http://web.mac.com/rawuk/iWeb/Raw/Home.html

Quarrycars

Not sure what has happened to this thing, it obviously has been worked on, has new belts, spark plugs, and waterpump.  Perhaps it was rebuilt but the cooling system wastn't bled properly and that is why it is cooked ::).

There are some nice pictures by '7builder' of a FWD to inline conversion of a 4AG in the gallery.

Quarrycars

Pulled the head, didn't look to bad, don't have much here in the way of tools but I cleaned up the gasket faces and lapped the valves.  Reassembled it with fingers crossed that the rings are OK.
Started it today, fired first piston up, no smoke, serious oil or coolant leaks and sounds OK. :o
Will try a drive when I get all the body bits back on. ;D

'The Gaffer'

Well done, that.s quite a milestone :)

Furore Phil

Excellent !

Did pick up a good tip for when you do the "first start" on an engine, allways get someone to video you doing it. If all goes well then you have a record for prosperity or if it goes badly then it's £250 selling it to You've been framed ! :D

Quarrycars

Just wanted to post some pics of the 4A-GE, these were supposed to be included in the previous post but I sc***ed it up.  Thanks Gaffer for sorting it (as if he didn't have enough to do!).
Haven't had anything to do with the Toyota engine before but seems like a nice little lump.  In remarkable condition considering what it has been through, as I mentioned it had been hot enough to melt the plug and distributor caps. :o

Fingers crossed for some pics of the car on the road when we get back to the River this week. 8)

Quarrycars

Engine instalation:

Almost everything hooked up.

Quarrycars

First drive;

Apart from a leaking fitting on the clutch hydraulics all seems OK,

Even the missus likes it ;D
Now all I have to do is fit the lights, get it registered and painted.

Quarrycars

That reminds me...I need to fit a horn -  Beep Beep

'The Gaffer'

Excellent, fun in the sun :) Well done!!!

Daley Down Under