News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Furore Build

Started by Quarrycars, 23, May, 2010, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzle

....Can I go for a holiday and have a drive..?... 8)

It just invites you to sit in it.......Looks good.... how quick of the mark is she with
         a Toy 1600 lump.

Denzle...   ;)

Quarrycars

Quote....Can I go for a holiday and have a drive..?...
We are only a couple of hours from Vegas, Virgin start direct flights from Manchester next month, pop on by. ;D
Quotehow quick of the mark is she with a Toy 1600 lump.
The original MR2 was quite lively and this thing is a lot lighter, seemed pretty lively when I gave it a quick squirt.;D  Wheels sticking out in the wind + wings and sidepods not condusive to a great top speed though.

Furore Phil

Driving it now ! wow!  :o

Have you decided on the colour scheme yet ? I guess that's all thats left to do.

I'm hopefully fitting the battery & cables this afternoon and starting work on the brake & clutch pipes.

Quarrycars

QuoteHave you decided on the colour scheme yet ? I guess that's all thats left to do.
Still got to sort out the lights, having to get them from the UK.  I can't find dipping projector lights over here or the combined stop/tail/turn LED pods >:(.
Not a huge Ferrari fan but they do make pretty cars so it will probably be red/white.
Now got to figure out the Arizona registration process, aparently they send someone round to inspect the car ;D.

Quarrycars

Legal at last!! ;D
Furore prepped for MVD inspection,

Legal but tempory lights fitted, strangely AZ requires a glass windscreen with wiper on a 4-wheel vehicle (bit of a lashup, 'fell off' when I got home :-X), not required on 3-wheeler or ATV ???

Registration procedure; get 'moving permit' from MVD,

Drive down to the local MVD for inspection,

Jim checks it out, engine and chassis numbers, stolen vehicle database, measure light heights, said license plate was too low but no big deal and car is approved ;D.
Go to office, pay money, get issued with license plate, Simples 8) 8) ;D ;D

25 miles on the odometer, nothing fell off, everything worked, no smoke or steam, so far so good!
Now to fit the 'real' lights, get it painted, lots of work to do but a big step forward!!

'The Gaffer'

A big step indeed, well done for a great build story so far :)

Furore Phil

Love the windscreen ! ;D - what an odd rule. Does it drive well ?

All the little fiddly bits to do now to finish it off !

I'm currently fittinishing fitting the copper brake & clutch lines.

Quarrycars

Lights fitted;

The Acewell seems to work well for a  budget dash although the warning lights not so visible in daytime.

'The Gaffer'

Excellent pics, the car looks quite at home, not sure we have any scenic roads quite like that in Bristol.

Does the Acewell offer any warning trigger outs for say a buzzer?

Bulldog Bri

Loving the pics to.  ;D

How about a vid of the car in action?

8)

Quarrycars

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 31, March, 2011, 03:38:32 PM
Does the Acewell offer any warning trigger outs for say a buzzer?
Haven't figured out all the functions of the Acewell yet, the instruction sheet is a bit confusing to say the least.  There is an upshift warning light but I don't think there are any outputs.
Quote from: bulldog bri on 31, March, 2011, 03:45:43 PM
How about a vid of the car in action?
Sad to say, I haven't had a vidio camera for years, the technology keeps changing and I haven't been keeping up :(.  Been following the thread on dash cams with interest, got to get myself something.  (I'd procrastinate but don't seem to be able to get around to it.) :-[

Furore Phil

Nice lights !, did you get them from Russ ? I'm still not sure about the acewell. Think I'll save up and buy a set of normal gauges. Perhaps some techy style ones with blue lights or with 7 segment digital display.

Same steering wheel as mine ! hope it's not too small. I've been working on the front end again. installed the brake & clutch lines and the battery cable. I Didn't like the way they sort of dangled out of the tubes, so I've created some end caps.

Then I looked in the foot well... icky, especially compared to yours. So, I've removed the pedal box to make the brake & clutch pipes and the entire steering system to clean and paint.

Quarrycars

Quote from: Furore Phil on 31, March, 2011, 08:06:21 PM
Nice lights !, did you get them from Russ ? [/url]

The lights do come from Furore, not cheap but seem to be the smallest dipping lamp available.  E marked but not DOT/SAE so not strictly legal in the US.

Quote from: Furore Phil on 31, March, 2011, 08:06:21 PM
Same steering wheel as mine ! hope it's not too small. [/url]

Steering wheel is fine, thanks for the tip, can't see much of the dash through it, only just enough space to view the Acewell.

Quarrycars

Temps here hit 102 (38C) yesterday, learned a couple of things, the seats get bloody hot when the car sits in the sun, the overheat light on the Acewell works and I connected the fan backwards (50/50 chance of getting it right but probability is 80% against!) :-[
Other than that it drives great, the 4A-GE engine has a real snarl to it when the 'T-VIS' opens up (this is an old 'big port' engine with butterflies that close off half intake at low RPMs).

'The Gaffer'

Can I see a fighter plane style drop down canopy with an aircon system mod on the way?? :)

Oh, and have you got the Rayban sunglasses holder on the dash yet?

Quarrycars

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 04, April, 2011, 12:00:39 AM
Can I see a fighter plane style drop down canopy with an aircon system mod on the way?? :)
A kit plane canopy for somthing like the Rutan EZ might fit but a forced air helmet and cool box may make more sense.  Anyway temps today have dropped to a more reasonable 28C, Summer temps get up to 50 here, thats when we head back to Wales!  I think people who stay here in the Summer put the hotrods away and drive the car with AC, kind of the opposite to the UK.

Quarrycars

It took longer and cost more than I expected (doesn't it always) but the Furore is back!  There where 21 parts that had to be prepped and painted, it came out looking good.
Discovered that red paint is the most expensive, over $60 a liter, white is 'only' $40.

Now to see if I can get some driving time in before we head back later this month.  Wish I could bring it back with me!

Daley Down Under

'The Gaffer'

Nice pics, especially the last one.

Cant you strip the car again and smuggle it back in your luggage? ;D

YellaBelly

Car is looking superb chap!  8)

Not jealous at all  :'(

Furore Phil

Looking fab ! have fun driving it while you can. Definitely spuring me on to finish mine.

Time to design a sticker set ? Oh and I love the numberplate ! - wish I could get that over here.

I'm still not sure on colour yet - possibly the Black / gold of the new Lotus Renault ?

Quarrycars

Yea, stickers are something to work on this summer, the paint should be nicely cured when we get back in October.  Don't think I will be starting another build this summer, I'm bringing back an overhaul kit for the 4AG so that will give me something to do.

Black/gold and BRG/yellow are classics, remember that black will show every blemish and ripple in the GRP especially on the flat panels.  Best would be to get a sponsor who will pay for the paint, the bright green GoDaddy cars really stand out.  Visibility is important, having driven a couple of hundred miles in mine I feel more vulnerable than on a bike.

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 04, May, 2011, 11:31:26 AM
Cant you strip the car again and smuggle it back in your luggage? ;D

Airlines are getting really fussy about baggage, a few years ago I carried a complete Sinclair C5 back to the states as hand baggage ???, don't think I would get away with that now :(.

Quarrycars

I guess it is always scary moment the first time someone else drives a car you built, in this case our daughter Cathy.  Needn't have worried, she loved it and had no problem driving it.  Said she didn't go very fast but I could hear it howling out in the desert, should have zeroed the Acewell so I could check speed and RPMs.

Cathy and her Mom

paintman

Love it.....bet u get stopped all the time and "interrogated" about it by the public.     Poser car or what..... ;)

Quarrycars

Quote from: paintman on 31, October, 2011, 12:22:11 AM
Love it.....bet u get stopped all the time and "interrogated" about it by the public.     Poser car or what..... ;)
Yea, had a sheriff deputy and Bullhead City cop make excuses to look at the car, the Bullhead guy is a F1 enthusiast and is going to bring his son round to look at it!  Most common question - "is it legal", dumbest question - "is the engine in the front" (there is barely room in the nose for my feet!)
The car is totally silly of course but lots of fun. ironically I have always liked 'Q' cars but have built something that is the complete opposite.

Quarrycars

Just got back from delivering Furore 008 to it's new owner in Northern California, 1400 mile RT.  Didn't really want to sell it till later in the year but the guy wanted it now.

Furore's new owner...Joe a retired submariner.

Now the garage looks awful empty so I need to get started on the next project, probably another Furore but with a bike engine this time.  Already have a sad looking MR2 for donor parts, now looking for a crashed Kawasaki ZX1400.

I have no experiance with modern bike engines so I'll probaly have lots of questions for all you BEC experts :).

'The Gaffer'

That was quite a build story and that car has travelled a lot!!

If it were me I'd look at trying to source a Busa engine for your BEC.

Keep us posted.

fullpint

BEC's rule  :P :P
You are welcome to look over my Mk Indy blade. If you are local I dont mind if you have for a week or so, as long as the weather forecast is not for sunshine tho  :D
Mind you yours would be a rear engine mount I presume..

Quarrycars

Thanks for the offer Fullpint, we head back to Mid-Wales from Arizona in April, in time for Stoneleigh!

Yea in the Furore the engine would be tranverse with a chain drive to an adapted Toyota diff but I would love a ride in a car with a bike engine hooked to a drive shaft.

I've been told that the advantage of the Quacker over the Busa is that it doesn't need a different sump when installed in a car.

Do most of the BECs use electric shift?

'The Gaffer'

Most are manual shift either 1 up 5 down on a stick or 2 paddles on steering wheel with change up / down respectively. My old bec however had clucthless electric up and downshift with auto blip - Great fun :)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Quarrycars on 10, February, 2013, 07:55:58 PM
Thanks for the offer Fullpint, we head back to Mid-Wales from Arizona in April, in time for Stoneleigh!

Yea in the Furore the engine would be tranverse with a chain drive to an adapted Toyota diff but I would love a ride in a car with a bike engine hooked to a drive shaft.

I've been told that the advantage of the Quacker over the Busa is that it doesn't need a different sump when installed in a car.

Do most of the BECs use electric shift?

That's true about ZX1400 engine and no need for dry sump. States is a good source for ZX1400 engine and US does a trick billet sump which improves ground clearance issues. You should try supercharger too

Adrian