+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Car!

Started by Bulldog Bri, 03, August, 2010, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog Bri

I've just got back home after spending a long weekend up in York with my friend Steve (Member, Merlin) and yep, he's just bought me another car to work on.

This time it's already registered and just needs a good tidy up to get it back on the road.

It's an RMB Gentry. A MG TF Replica in red using Triumph running gear. Which car I'm not sure yet, but it's from 1963,  :o is all we know at the mo'.

Anyone got any 'old' Triumph Haynes Manuals laying about no longer needed ;D

8)

Couple of pic's from the auction.

'The Gaffer'

Dont you ever give up Bri??? :o ;) 8) You two are like Mike Brewer and Edd China ;D

Interesting project. Have you room for 3 cars?

Bulldog Bri

Nope  ;D

It will be 4 cars to be correct ???

Hopefully it will be a fairly quick turn around with it one  ;)

8)

YellaBelly

Bri, if you've got that much spare time, do you fancy doing my job for a while (travel to hot and exotic places :) ) so I can get on with my one and only build  :-[  ;)

Bulldog Bri

I wish I did have more spare time John :) and some more space. (more cars) I'll be having my own meetings soon  ???

Have narrowed it down to a 1300 Triumph Herald Based car as well now.

8)

Furore Phil

Completely off subject...

York ? I used to live there ! (my wife is from York). Where abouts did you go ? Train museom is a good day out for young engineers.

Bulldog Bri

My friend lives in Haxby just north of York. We've been into town a few times so this weekend spent a day up in Filey.

8)

Bulldog Bri

Got the car home today and there's lots to do.  ???

Most of the fibreglass wings need attention, from crazing to a rip that has been poorly repaired.

Floors need completly replacing. As does the dashboard and some internal panels.

The chassis is solid but does need wire brushing and painting.

Haven't dared try turning the engine over.

Seats are in very good condition, (no rips or tears)

I'm not MAD!! honest  :P

8)

Furore Phil

Haxby ? I know it well, my aunt lives there !

Wow - that's a project and a half you have there ! Gonna look good when it's done though.

paintman

If I turned up with a car in that state my wife would pack her bags!!! :o

'The Gaffer'

Wow Bri, thats a shed :o

Bit of T-Cut will soon have it looking like new though ;)

YellaBelly

Quote from: paintman on 06, August, 2010, 10:14:43 PM
If I turned up with a car in that state my wife would pack her bags!!! :o

If I turned up with a car in that state, my wife would pack MY bags!

Bulldog Bri

Yey.....

Went out and had a play with the engine this afternoon, and fitted in a very simple starter loom. The engine turned over very smoothly so with that I added in the ignition and got a spark at the plugs, with that I put some fuel in a small bottle and inserted a pipe in the bottle up to the fuel pump and tried again. Watching the fuel feed pipe to the carb I could see fuel going through then with a little choke the engine started. Big puff of blue smoke to start with but seeing that the engine hasn't been started for 13 years! I can't complain and that soon cleared.  ;D

What a result, maybe this will be ok to do up.  :D

One very happy builder now this evening

8)

Daley Down Under

Bri,

great result - not much left to do now then!!!!!

Bulldog Bri

Had a bit more of a fiddle WITH THE CAR! today.

It comes apart very easy  ;D (so far)

8)

paintman

That's 'cause of the rust.......ha. ha.   ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: paintman on 15, August, 2010, 08:57:03 PM
That's 'cause of the rust.......ha. ha.   ;D ;D

Nope. All the ali panels are in good shape! Even the bolts are fairly clean. Just a lot of dirt and cobwebs  ;D

8)

paintman

'The Gaffer'

Rather you than me mate. Looks like the whole thing needs to be put in a giant sandblaster :o

Good luck with the project though.

Bulldog Bri

I had a little play with the car over the weekend and tried a battery on the engine... It turned over very easily and sounded very smooth. So I then carried on and wired in a coiland got a spark at the plugs after ajusting the points gap.

So what else could I do but send some fuel up to the carb and see what would happen, well the engine didn't evn think twice once the fuel hit the carb, she burst into life and ran and reved sweet as anything  :o not bad since it's been unused for 13 years  ;D very happy.

Just a little carpentry project and a good scrub and spary make the intirior look good and MOT it! Easy  :P

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bulldog bri on 25, August, 2010, 11:17:42 AM
Just a little carpentry project and a good scrub and spary make the intirior look good and MOT it! Easy  :P

Dont forget a quick rub over with some T-Cut - Jobs a good 'un ;D

Camber Dave

Hi Brian

I have just sold a similar car on eBay and am about to sell off parts from 2 others. All herald based. One was a Gentry.

So if you need any bits let me know so I don't list them.
You are welcome to have a rumage through the pile.

I may have a manual and will look in the workshop tommorrow.

In my youff I had two Heralds so know a bit about them any queries - just ask.

Dave

Bulldog Bri

Thanks Dave, I'll let you know once I really start on the car if there is anything we need.  ;D

8)

Bulldog Bri

Made the most of the last 2 weekends good weather, stripped down both sides of the car and painted the exposed chassis and framework. All are in very good condition still. I've also made up some cardboard patterns for the new plywood panels for the floor and sides.

I've now got a pile of bits that do need wire brushing so a day in the garage will see those bits ready to go back on. (brackets, foot pedals)

Have got a huge engine crane on it's way as well just got to find a way of getting it over to my garage. (it's huge  :o)

We've also decided on the colour scheme for the car now, found this original TF and love it  :-*

8)

WALNUT

Not one to speek out of turn, but thats not a car. Its a bloody tractor. lol
Cant wait to see fineshed article.

Tony

paintman

Subtlety was never one of Wallnut's greatest gifts, obviously!!!! ;D ;D

Quarrycars

That's going to be one classy looking car, full marks for taking on a challenge ;D
Good luck, JT

Bulldog Bri

Good progress today, started using the sanding disc on the angle grinder to remove the perished gel coat.

As you can see about 50% was nackered

8)

Bulldog Bri

Started the day early and picked up a couple of sheets of Plywood to replace the rotten panels of the car. I've already made up some cardboard patterns of the floor and sides. Cut out both floor parts and one of the sides (so far). After a bit of adjusting they all fit pretty well.  ;D

Micky testing the floor  :)

Side panel test fit

Making sure the door will fit  ::)

8)

paintman

Keep up the good work Bri! ;)

WALNUT

You ve spoilt it, It dont look like a tractor anymore lol

Tony

Bulldog Bri

This weekend sees the Gentry back on her wheels after and cleaning the rear suspension. All that needed replacing was one of the wheel cylinders and a new set of brake shoes.
This week I'm hoping to start on the wiring for the ignition and get hold of a new clutch master cylinder and an alterntor to replace the Dynomo.
Will get some pics up in the week.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Keep up the good work Bri 8)

Bulldog Bri

Just a little update on the progress of the Gentry...

I now have the ignition wired up properly (to use the key) :-[ and I've also been working on the interior, panels and carpets.

Even some rain couldn't stop play  ;D

8)

YellaBelly

Looking good Bri :)

Love the new wet weather gear, looks like an Aldi manager's special ;). Folds up small too I bet?

JB

Quarrycars

Nice interior Bri, love those classic instruments ;D

'The Gaffer'

Nice one Bri, dash looks cool 8)

Bulldog Bri

Think I've just about got the car ready for MoTing now, I did take the car for a quite test drive in the week after work down to the local common. I had a mate from work follow behind in case of breakdown but wasn't needed. The car drove really well just gave out a little smoke, I've put some of the Wynns oil treatment in to help but think thats gonna need a little more running around before having full effect (fingers crossed).

Pics taken at night with just headlights on the car

How the car is looking now, just about ready for painting  ;D

8)

Hairy Santa

YellaBelly

Good work Brian, looking nice and flat :D

hopefully not far behind in the painting stage myself :)

JB