News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Car!

Started by Bulldog Bri, 03, August, 2010, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

Nice work! ;D  Especially when you go back to page 1 and see what it looked like last August 8)

Bulldog Bri

Well finally got there....

With just a last few bits to tighten up and attach, check bits still work and such.... It's done.  ;D

Re registered with new number as we managed to sell the original for a nice figure  ;)

Heres a reminder of the car we were working to emulate

With any luck, we be bringing it down for Queens Square next weekend.  ;D

8)

Sorry Wallnut, it didnt turn out like the Tractor you wanted.  :P

YellaBelly

Well done Bri! Looks good, now on to the next one then? ;) :D

So far, all I've managed to do off my jobs list is fit wipers, washers and 12V Aux socket :)

fullpint

8)Never knew you were working on that along with Anne's car tooooo.. Looks nice.

Hairy Santa

That looks the DB's mate

Look forward to seeing it

'The Gaffer'

Impressive transformation Bri, like the plate :)

Sprint 7

:oCracking job buddy ,well done.Hope to see it on Sunday if it's dry as I got no hood on the hood.

stupott901

Bulldog Bri

Yeah, it's gonna have to be a dry day as I've not got a hood either on the Gentry. lol.  :D

8)

Bulldog Bri

Flippin great, I knew that the fuel tank weeped. But I did have aready some sealant I had left over from the Locost build. So I made up some paste to smear over the area where it was seep was and as I did so I opened up a bigger hole and fuel started to run out in a steady steam.  :'(  I had to leave the plastic jerry can under until it stopped, saved over half a can of fuel  :)
I've now got to wait till it dries off wipe over and try again.

In the meantime I did some work on the exhaust, had to reseal the manifold joint as that was blowing a bit. The jobs for this afternoon is to try and seal the fuel tank and also try and get the engine running a bit better.  ::)

8)

Bulldog Bri

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sorry everyone. I won't be driving the Gentry down to the Square tomorrow as I've now discovered that I have water in the oil, somewhere in the block water is getting through. ??? And I'm very reluctant to take the bloody head off AGAIN!!! after all I've done (and others) to try and get the thing running.  :'(

Anyone know of a Triumph engine for sale cheap. Herald/Spitfire 1300/1500 prefered with carbs as not wild about the one that I have.  ???

8)

'The Gaffer'

Bulldog Bri

Spoke with my Guru Pete this morning straight away he said 'Head Gasket'. We had problems earlier in the year with that, tried a new one but ended up putting the old one back in as couldn't get any compresion with the new one (see earlier in this thread). Well got home took the plugs out and turned the engine over and sure enough had water coming out of No4 Cylinder again!  >:( :'( So head coming off AGAIN! and I'll have to get another. followed by full oil change and new filter  :'(  >:(  ???

8)

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for those suggestions mate. Also looking at this as a possible on ebay, number 300781213972 claims to be able to seal almost all leaks but would probably need to have engine running at least a bit. lol.  ::)

8)

Sumov8

Bri 
I would not add any addictives into an engine as a cure just a get you home option, if water is finding its way into the bores there is a big failure some where and
Gum Gum is not the long term answer.

Has the head been skimmed recently?

Steve

Camber Dave

Hi Brian

Last week I was offered a complete Herald - Cheap by my neighbour.

Will get more info next time I see him and check it runs etc....

Will PM you with more info within 24 Hours

Dave

bluehornetrider

I have a spare 1500 block and head but not carbs, it all needs a good cleanup and I don't know when they last ran, US imported spit engine so the head should be unleaded.

Bulldog Bri

Thanks. I'll let you know, gonna try 1 more head gasket first. Hang on to it for now please.

8)

Bulldog Bri

Well...............

Tried another Head Gasket in the engine and I'm still getting water out of the 4th cylinder and no compression again..... Time for a change in power plant me finks!!!!  :'(

PM's sent

8)

Hairy Santa

do you mean the same as last time with low compressions on all cylinders again, and the same water leak into no 4 bore - bloody triumphs - what you gonna try, a different head or the whole lump

what ever you do dont touch the clutch  ;D

Bulldog Bri

Its out, I'm not working on that engine again. Grrrrrr!!!

Takin Paul (bluehornetrider) up on his offer of the 1500 Spitfire engine. :)

The old engine came out nice and easy, hope the new one goes in half as well.

Go Grease Lightning. Lol

8)

fullpint

A wise move which I'm sure you wont regret Bri..

Hairy Santa

Fast work Bri

Give me a shout when your ready to stick the new one in, I'll pop over and give you a hand - hope your gonna polish it first  :D

bluehornetrider

Look okay once it's cleaned it's got about 30 years of crap stuck to it, nothing a good steam clean and paint won't fix, hope it works okay. :P

Bulldog Bri

Yep its cleaning up very nicely. Used some degreasant that Pete gave me and it works a treat.  ;D

One problem that has arisen is that the flywheel on the 1500 block uses slightly larger bolts to hold it on to the end of the crankshaft... Do you recon that it would be ok to drill out the bolt holes in the flywheel to take the larger bolts? as it fits everywhere else and the flywheel for a 1500 can't be any larger due to it wouldn't fit in the bellhousing.  ::)

Big thanks again to Paul for the engiine, all it needs now is to go through the head and a nice coat of paint, then fingers crossed it'll go in without to many problems and works first time.  :P

8)

Pilgrim Anna

Keep at it.  :). You are doing a fantastic job. Sorry I have no advise to give you re engine. Lol :P xxxx

fullpint

Whilst its out (and nice 'n' clean) are you going to give it a nice coat of paint?
When I replaced my Punto GT lump I gave it a lick of paint. Looked awesome until it went in the bay!! Could only see the head  ;D
I did replace the 6mm nuts with new ones  :D

Bulldog Bri

Block is already cleaned and painted (on the outside) still need to give it a flush through, but its looking good already.

Started the strip down of the head today, removed the valves. Next I'll decoke the head, then a light regrinding of the valves in their seats.  ;D

8)

fullpint

8) Looking good. Should look great when its installed..

Sumov8

Were double valve springs standard on these engines, or has it been breathed on?
Still will look good either way. :P

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Sumov8 on 22, October, 2012, 10:24:16 PM
Were double valve springs standard on these engines, or has it been breathed on?
Still will look good either way. :P
Double valve springs don't seem to be standard acording to the manual!  :D And I was tempted to keep them for my Bulldog but I'll leave them this time, hehe.  ;D

Drilled the flywheel out to take the larger bolts today and put the head back together. Just need to get another new head gasket, 2 more flywheel bolts and an oil filter and it's good to go back in.

8)

bluehornetrider

Blimey looks at least £200 quids worth. ;D only kidding hope it runs as good as it looks.  I have a fuel pump if you need one and I found the head cover as well but it need a clean and lick of paint.  Are you planning on upgrading anything whilst it's apart or keeping it standard I was looking at bits on www.jagspares.co.uk whio seem very reasonable and www.canleyclassics.com got me the bits I ordered in 2 days.  I was reading up and lots of people say that an oil feeder pipe is a good idea, at £30 I'd say it can only be a good thing but fitting an oil cooler is a waste of time.

Bulldog Bri

Hehe. It does look loads better with a good clean and a lick of paint :) Thanks but I'm Ok for fuel pump and other parts as they will all come off the old engine.

I find Moss Europe in Bristol (bottom of the M32) good for parts, MG, Triumph, Healey, Mini and now MX5 bits. All off the shelf. :)

8)

Hairy Santa

Quote from: bulldog bri on 24, October, 2012, 08:26:59 AM
Hehe. It does look loads better with a good clean and a lick of paint :) Thanks but I'm Ok for fuel pump and other parts as they will all come off the old engine.

I find Moss Europe in Bristol (bottom of the M32) good for parts, MG, Triumph, Healey, Mini and now MX5 bits. All off the shelf. :)

8)

I do hope you bought your latest headgasket from somewhere else  ---    :) ;) :D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Fraid not Pete  :-[ But did check it over for any damage before fitting it.  ::)

8)

Bulldog Bri

Thanks for the help Pete, Engine now in. :D Just got to refit all the bits. :) Out of time for today  :( Weekend tomorrow ;D Fingers crossed  :P

8)

Bulldog Bri

After a day of putting the last bits on and trying to start the engine with no luck  :'( (even with jump leads) it just wouldn't quite fire up. I left the battery on charge all night. This morning after a couple of tries it worked, the engine fired up and kept going  :P Drove it in and out of the garage and then up the back lane.

while the engine cooled, I sorted out a short circuit thats made itself known  :-[ refitted the bonnet then topped up the cooling system and put some more oil in.... Fingers crossed, IT'S DONE!

8)

Daley Down Under

Great news Bri - spot on job

Adrian

Sumov8

After lots of work it will be good to see the car on the road, well done