+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New build ...

Started by Alfa Ric, 11, September, 2010, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa Ric

Back from my vacation and allready 2 disappointments...
The guy from the scrapy will not sell me the carcass I wanted/need for my project.
The other issue is that the V8 engine I have for the project is going to need lots of £££ to get it sorted (rebore, new pistons, piston rings and water pump) to start with (£180+vat for the rebore alone) have to make/take a decision on this one.
Now one question:
If I decide to build the chassis what type steel (round/square) and diameter/size to use?

Ric

paintman

I would shop around for another v8.  There must be loads around.....get one from a scrappy that has been belted up the rear or rammed in the side.  Should be up together and cheap without all the hassle of a rebuild. ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Alfa Ric on 11, September, 2010, 10:03:46 PM
If I decide to build the chassis what type steel (round/square) and diameter/size to use?

Ric

Are you not working from a tried and tested plan?

Alfa Ric

No, not really.
My plan was/is to use part of a body shell from a MX5 or similar (from the screen to the back wheel arch) and do a new front/rear end).
I like to be different... ;D

'The Gaffer'

Most modern tube chassis are CAD designed, why dont you have a look at the Haynes Manual Build Your Own Kit Car on a Budget.

Nothing stopping you building a chassis ground up but it would have to be pretty good

Alfa Ric

Actually I have the 2 editions from that manual and I don't see there nothing special about the build.
It does give some good pointers in how to build it but it lacks in chassis examples.
There some pictures of chassis but they are old designs and none of them really suits my project.
I don't have any problem in building one from scratch or just half of it to attach to an existing bodyshell the only thing I need is the tools and if I don't have them I'll buy them or I improvise something.
About the steel I prefer the round one I know that must hobby builder prefer the square one because is easier to work with but the round one is so much nicer if well build even if it shown in some parts of the chassis.
Right now I'm working on the engine and wonted some ideas about it (the steel).

Ric

'The Gaffer'

Ric.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted. Personally I would just buy a pre built car or chassis so I'm not the best to give build advice. I have seen Hi-Tech CAD to machine build so maybe I'm spoilt ;)

Building a chassis ground up that is going to perform well will probably take at least a few goes so all due respect.

Alfa Ric

How about a 5 axis cnc machine cutting a complete project car body out a big square block of foam ?
And you say you are spoiled...

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Alfa Ric on 14, September, 2010, 06:19:18 PM
How about a 5 axis cnc machine cutting a complete project car body out a big square block of foam ?
And you say you are spoiled...

Haha, nice if you have one of them in your garage ;)

Alfa Ric

No i don't have one But I know someone who has..
Shame is far away from were I live.
About the steel do you guys think that 20/25mm is Ok or to thin ?
From what I have seen from different chassis (tubular/spaceframe) the steel doesn't look much bigger them that.

Ric