News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

A night in hospital..

Started by 'The Gaffer', 24, March, 2011, 01:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Well, it just goes to show.. Never take everyday for granted. Here's a short 'Feel my pain' story.

Yesterday I lifted something at home, swivelled round with it and on putting it down experienced back and leg pain like never before :o

I guess it felt similar to being run over by a 30-ton truck whilst being struck by lightening at the same time. I do have a history of back problems, but this was like nothing else I've experienced in my whole life.

I decided to have a sit down for a while, then a lay down, but on trying to get up off the bed realised I was paralysed with pain. Any movement resulted in what was like having read hot pokers being stuck into me and as the evening wore on I couldn't walk either so eventually bit the bullet and asked Speedy to drive me to A&E.

After about an hour in reception surrounded by rugby players with their noses missing and footballers with their feet facing the wrong way I was seen by a triage nurse who immediately referred me to a doctor for further examination.

As it turned out, I had herniated 2 discs in my back which had led to muscle spasm and sciatic nerve pressure. Only one thing for it, pump me full of drugs!!

In went one gram of Paracetamol via a 100ml drip - Nothing
Next, some Diazepam to relax the muscles - Nothing
A couple more things were pumped in that I couldn't see - Nothing
Codeine was next - Nothing

What's going in next...

The doctor was at this stage looking a little puzzled as to why I was still in pain.

Next it was time to bring out the big guns and the Morphine came out to play - Still nothing.

It was at this point it was decided to admit me for the night, it was 3.00am by this time so best thing really. My poor wife was with me all the while waiting to see if they would allow me home, eventually she left me at about 3.30am and was up again in about 3 hours for work.

At about 4.00am I was in a hospital bed, still in agony so 2 more shots of Morphine were prescribed - Nothing :o

This time the doctors were not only surprised I still felt pain, but were also surprised I was still conscious.

Anyway, after about 30 mins of drug induced sleep and being woken at about 7.30am with a nice cup of tea plus feeling reasonably pain free, the morning began with being poked around by a physiotherapist who started manipulating my disc's (At this point I was pleased the painkillers had finally kicked in)

He concluded 2 discs were indeed slipped and proceeded to instruct me on how to get in and out of bed and how to sit and stand properly – Ouch. He even took time to come and tell me how to get in and out of cars properly when Speedy picked me up.

I know have a 2-week healing period in which the pain should subside and am thankfully back home finally ready for bed even after sleeping all day so as above, never take your day for granted. You just never know where you might end up.

Bit of a waffling story but I guess the moral is look after your back... you only have one.

Right, where are those painkillers??

WALNUT

What s happening to our members, first Bri. now the Gaffer. They say all bad things comes in 3s, Who s next.?

Tony

stupott901

Not another ouch story sounds bad hope you get better soon

YellaBelly

I feel your pain Phil! That sounds similar to the way my back first let me know there was a problem 20+ years ago, and it still gives me loads of jip now :( All I can say is whatever the docs physios tell you, DO IT! I didn't for lond and now I'm paying for it.

Get well soon ;)

TimC

Indeed.  Hope the road to recovery is smooth and quick!

Denzle

I have every sympathy for you phil and believe me I know exactly what you are going through.

I have suffered for many years with degenerative disc disease, plus a spondylolisthesis, where the two bones slide across each other and dont line up.  Result...trapped sciatic nerve in the L1 area.  They all effect the sciatic nerve and the pain is unbelievable.

On two occasions my left leg went completely numb and rushed me onto traction straight away.  I am surprised they didnt do that for you.  within a few hours of stretching the spine the pain relieves quite quickly.

I dont know if it will help, but when you are feeling a little better try and hang off a door, or if you have anything high.  This helps stretch the spine and refills the disc sacks between the bones.   Sounds funny but it works, even when there is nothing wrong it helps to do this.

I wish you a quick recovery, and its no good saying be careful because this can happen at any time, even when bending over to pick up a pair of socks.  This happened to me.

They say womens labour is painful, but this must be on the same level, even though Mrs Denzle said,"No way"   Ive never had labour pains, on the other hand the Mrs has never had accute sciatica.   Get well soon & keep smiling.... ;D.... ;D

Quarrycars

Sorry to hear Phil, it's frustrating, we can fix almost anything that goes wrong with our cars but fixing our bodies is a lot more difficult :(  Don't know if it helps but there are lots of positive thoughts coming your way.
Hopefully back on your feet soon.  Cheerz, JT

robp

Yep, my back is giving me trouble too although, thankfully, not to the degree yours is, Phil.  Hope you'll be back on your feet soon.

Quote from: Denzle on 24, March, 2011, 11:01:05 AM

I dont know if it will help, but when you are feeling a little better try and hang off a door, or if you have anything high.  This helps stretch the spine and refills the disc sacks between the bones.   Sounds funny but it works, even when there is nothing wrong it helps to do this.

Trying to picture this position.  ::)  Hanging off the door upside down or upright?

Quote from: YellaBelly on 24, March, 2011, 08:44:58 AM
All I can say is whatever the docs physios tell you, DO IT! I didn't for lond and now I'm paying for it.

Wise words.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for the sympathy and advice guys.

I'm pretty sure my back problems started when I used to be an employee of a company that supplied a really uncomfortable van for me to drive. That combined with 3000 miles + per week soon took its toll. That was back in the 80's and my back has never been the same since. Wish I'd listened to it then :(

I later bought myself a Recaro Ergomed seat but the damage had already been done.

I fully intend to do anything in my power to stop this happening again - so dont be surprised if you see me hanging from doors at the next meet :)

paintman

Sorry to hear about your back problem Phil, hope you soon feel better before the "cruising season" begin

Tony

Krazyken

Get well soon Gaffer, let me know when you are reasonably mobile again.

Denzle

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 24, March, 2011, 06:00:49 PM

I fully intend to do anything in my power to stop this happening again - so dont be surprised if you see me hanging from doors at the next meet :)

.....LOL.... ;D    As Punch would say...       "Thats the way to do it."   ;)

Bulldog Bri

Feeling for you Phil, makes my injury sound quite insignificant compared to yours.  :'( I've been booked off for the next 3 weeks at least so will be making the most of it ;)

Hope your feeling better soon Bud, Stoneleigh isn't that far away either.  ???

Take it steady.

8)

Furore Phil

Argos do a cool chin up bar that sort of temporarily clips to the top of the door frame, rather thn the door it's self. Good for stretching the back and working on the upper body strenght too  ;D

Must have been bad - my son Jack has had chest surgery and he only gets a little bit of morphine !

Must keep saying to mtself, lift with the knees ! (hmm, just a sec, my back is fine it's my knees that are shot - oh well).

Sprint 7

Gaffer, Just don't hang from any doorways when visiting  Bristol Zoo or they may cart you off to the the Fruitbat enclosure.Seriously though,get well soon and don't start practicing the bass just yet as hanging a Fender Precision round your neck is deffo going to give you jip. Take GREAT care buddy!
Also like to add that I think the club is really well presented by yourself and Computer luddites like me appreciate all the hours that you must spend in doing such an excellent job.When do i get promoted to lounge member by the way ,as I quite like the sound of that .Not that I'm any sort of lizard you understand.
Best wishes to you and all the readers Sprint x
Ps maybe a session with  the young lady under Rob P's handle would sort you out? (No offence Rob)

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for the thoughts Sprint. Don't worry I wont be going near any zoo's or basses for a while :).

On the mend slowly though.

As for Robs avatar, I think she would suffocate me.

paintman

What a way to go though!!........ :P :P

alastair

You offer to help me fix my gearbox if I need it and then you go and do this. It sounds a little too coincidental to me....... maybe its just an elaborate excuse.

Only kidding Phil  :P, I hope you are better soon!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: alastair on 28, March, 2011, 09:15:22 PM
You offer to help me fix my gearbox if I need it and then you go and do this. It sounds a little too coincidental to me....... maybe its just an elaborate excuse.

Only kidding Phil  :P, I hope you are better soon!

Haha, thanks Alastair. The things I do to get out of work eh?

Hairy Santa

tuff luck Phil

hope it you take it steady for a bit and your back in the swing soon

I did warn you about to much sex on damp grass  - result bad back and very green knees  ;)

Get well soon   

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 28, March, 2011, 11:39:11 PM
tuff luck Phil

hope it you take it steady for a bit and your back in the swing soon

I did warn you about to much sex on damp grass  - result bad back and very green knees  ;)

Get well soon

Hehe, thanks for the kind words Pete, I'm on the mend already :)

peetee

'The Gaffer'

Cheers Pete :)

I did go out and did some work today, maybe a bit early for that ::)