News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Should I buy this car?

Started by Pitlips, 16, June, 2011, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitlips

What do you guys think of this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK-INDY-R1-not-westfield-tiger-robin-hood-/290578141048?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43a7ce8f78

Does it look like good value? I was after an MNR Vortx but this looks nice and its fairly local.

Thanks

'The Gaffer'

Tidy looking car and good price. Go take a look.

Pitlips

I spoke to the guy today and he said it's got ford sierra brakes, avo coil over suspension and it hasn't got a baffled sump just the standard sump. MK did the conversion from a 1700 cross flow to the R1 and said it didn't need a baffled sump. Is this true?
Also will the brake's and suspension be good enough?
I'm hoping to have a look tomorrow is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your help

Grin-a-lot

As far as I'm aware you don't need a baffled sump but you will probably want one.  It ensures that under heavy cornering you don't starve the oil pick up and ruin the engine.

If it hasn't got one it might be a good negotiating point, to get a couple of quid off.  When you get it home you may wish to do an oil change anyway and while you're at it you could either fit baffles yourself or get someone else to do it.  It's not an insurmountable problem.

'The Gaffer'

Yep, I'd certainly fit a baffle plate at least, keeps the oil around the pick-up. Maybe ok without one for road use with a slight overfill but personally I wouldn't take the risk.

Also check if the clutch has uprated springs and possibly plates - Barnetts maybe.

Things always need doing to kit cars so as long as the price is right just build in the hassle factor.

Pitlips

Thanks I just had a look on the internet and fitting doesn't seem like too big of a job? and not too expensive about £45.
I'll have a look for the clutch are they expensive? and hard to change?
Do you think I would need to change the brakes aswell?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Pitlips on 17, June, 2011, 07:16:02 PM
Thanks I just had a look on the internet and fitting doesn't seem like too big of a job? and not too expensive about £45.
I'll have a look for the clutch are they expensive? and hard to change?
Do you think I would need to change the brakes aswell?

Spring set about £20

I suspect you would have good access to clutch cover then http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/technical/howto/200311_barnettclutchconversion/index.html

Check for worn plates while you are in there.

TimC

What exactly do you want the car for?  The Indy is great for some things, less good for others in my view (ex Indy owner.)

Pitlips

thanks for the link thats not too bad at all.
I'll be using the car for short blasts and track days. What are they less good at? Lovely Indy by the way  ;D

TimC

Quote from: Pitlips on 17, June, 2011, 09:43:55 PM
I'll be using the car for short blasts and track days. What are they less good at?
Unfortunately, the original Indy is less good at maintaining negative or zero camber at the rear when cornering hard - the rear wishbone mounting points are essentially in the wrong place.  You won't really notice on the road but when other cars murder you in the turns on track it gets tiresome.

TimC

Also.....

As an ex Vortx owner/builder too, can I also advise you not to buy anything that started life as a kit before late 2007 - the cars saw a lot of development and the chassis changed a lot!

Pitlips

The vortx is the car I really want, do you think I'd be better off holding out for one or should this Indy be ok as it's a 2009 car?

Thanks

Grin-a-lot

Please don't think I'm being at all rude but it sounds to me like you're rushing a bit.  It was only a couple of weeks ago that you said you'd never been in a kit car and you're talking quite seriously about buying.

I'm as bad as you in that when I decide I want something intend to rush out and get it.  My advise would be STOP!!!! Slow down, come to a meet/trackday and talk to owners of various cars; we're a friendly lot.  You'll gain a huge amount of owning advice from a variety of different people with all sorts of cars/engines.  When I bought my car 2 people came with me for quality control, the voice of experience and reason (while my heart was trying to spend) was invaluable.

You've got a healthy budget and it'd be a real shame to throw it at the first tidy looking car without taking the time to make a fully informed decision.

Like I say, I don't mean to be rude but don't rush into something that might end up being wrong for you.

David H

Quote from: Pitlips on 17, June, 2011, 06:03:36 PM
I spoke to the guy today and he said it's got ford sierra brakes, avo coil over suspension and it hasn't got a baffled sump just the standard sump. MK did the conversion from a 1700 cross flow to the R1 and said it didn't need a baffled sump. Is this true?
I'm hoping to have a look tomorrow is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for your help

MK know what they are doing. The baffled sump would have been put on had it needed it. This however completely depends upon the application to which the car will be applied. For all we know the client may have specified to MK that he didn't want to track it or drive like he stole it. MK would then be able to offer a lower quote for their work.

Are you going to nail it on track? If so, get this bit sorted. I didn't have a baffled sump once and killed the engine where the previous owner had done 11,000 trouble free miles. I managed less than 1000.

It all depends on how you wan to use this car. It would be a little rude to try and get money off for not having one when he was probably under the impression from MK that for his application it may not need one?

only my opinion.

Dave

Pitlips

No i dont think that's rude at all I'll take any advice I can get. I am impatient once I've decided that I'm going to get one I want it now! As I say I idealy want an mnr vortx but didn't want to miss out on this as it ticks most of my boxes and looks like a good car at a good price? Also there hardly ever seems to be any mnr's for sale.
Are they hard to build? I worry that if it took too long I might loose interest.

paintman

Quote from: David H on 18, June, 2011, 10:12:55 AM
Quote from: Pitlips on 17, June, 2011, 06:03:36 PM

Thanks for your help

MK know what they are doing. The baffled sump would have been put on had it needed it. This however completely depends upon the application to which the car will be applied. For all we know the client may have specified to MK that he didn't want to track it or drive like he stole it. MK would then be able to offer a lower quote for their work.

Are you going to nail it on track? If so, get this bit sorted. I didn't have a baffled sump once and killed the engine where the previous owner had done 11,000 trouble free miles. I managed less than 1000.

It all depends on how you wan to use this car. It would be a little rude to try and get money off for not having one when he was probably under the impression from MK that for his application it may not need one?

only my opinion.

Dave

I think Stupott blew his engine in his MK didn't he recently......that was down to no baffles being fitted so he said. ::)

Tony

stupott901

from my experience as tony said my first engine blew up and that was due to no baffled sump, and i only tracked it once, i would sy you need a baffled sump,

the suspension and brakes are fine i never had problems stopping with the sierra brakes and i had drums on the rear as they are so light

stu

alastair

I didn't realise you could pick up a great looking kit car so cheap. Looks great!

Pitlips

Thanks to all the guys I met at track developments on saturday I learnt alot! great to see all the cars aswell, the ride in the Mac 1 was even better!! ;D

I think I'm going to make this guy an offer on the car, I went and saw it on sunday and it's nice. I'd want to change quite a few things but I guess you always will.

How much do you think it's worth? it was originally built in 2004 then converted to an R1 engine in 2010.

Also how do I donate my tenner?

Thanks
Ry

'The Gaffer'

Look forward to seeing you in your new car then :)

It's not really about what we think it's worth, the seller knows how little he will accept for it. A haggle never goes amiss though.

To donate just open the forum page and scroll down about 2/3 of the page and click the Paypal link.. Many thanks.

TimC

Ry
Just one thing to ask when you are haggling that I hadn't thought of:  If it was originally built with a car engine and the springs and dampers are unchanged they are extremely unlikely to be suited to the new lightweight installation.  If he's not sure, drop me a private message and I'll give you some contacts for someone who can check them on a damper dyno for you if/once the car is yours - usually FOC or very close to it.
TC

Pitlips

Thanks guys, after thinking long and hard about it I don't think this car is great value.
I think I'm going to hold out for an mnr vortx they look like they've got a good chassis.
If anyone knows of someone who might want to sell one let me know :)
Thanks

Pitlips

Or even any other cars you think might be good value..... I'm all ears

Thanks

TimC

Quote from: Pitlips on 27, June, 2011, 10:19:14 AM

Thanks

I've tried to contact the guy with the blue Stuart Taylor that I sent you a picture of - he's not come back to me yet.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks

My Sylva Riot - http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=1675.msg16435;topicseen#new This car is fast, fun and ready to go :)

paintman

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 29, June, 2011, 11:01:14 PM

Thanks

My Sylva Riot - http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=1675.msg16435;topicseen#new This car is fast, fun and ready to go :)

There you go......job sorted.....now where were we....... ;D