News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Alternator issues Tiger Supersix with Pinto engine

Started by fletch_306, 09, June, 2014, 10:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletch_306

Hello all again was just wondering if there is anyone on here who has a tiger Supersix with a Pinto engine.
If so could i please see a picture of the set up of your cars alternator because mine has been butchered by the previous owner and before contacting tiger for new parts i would like to see what it is really supposed to be like.
I have searched for hours on Google with no success and even found a build manual which again is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Thanks

Fletch

Moleman

paintman

I know of one in town but haven't got his phone number.....sorry. :(

benchmark51

This is a commonly used one for a pinto, dunno if it will fit your car.
Available on ebay, but I was going to make one.

fletch_306

I will have a look on ebay then. I have been talking to wife and she suggested that it may be the right time for the engine change with all the issues i have been having.

Bulldog Bri

Iancider

Well you can get a 2.0L Zetec for under £900 brand new and all of the ancillaries will just bolt on but you will need to go ECU and that will be about the same as the engine.

Regards
Ian

fletch_306

What would be recommended ecu wise and throttle body wise?? Any assistance would be greatly received. X

Iancider

Fletch,

Speaking with complete bias - I am very happy with my set-up.  Black-top, mated to a type 9 gearbox, Jenvey throttle bodies and OMEX ECU.  Theoretical 174 bhp (not tested yet but it feels like it).

All ECU's do much the same thing but OMEX have a good reputation and will provide standard maps to get you going and you can then tweek to suit your use - road or track.  Fuel consumption on mine has always been pretty impressive.  Touring I get circa 40 mpg and 70mph motorway around 46 mpg.  Surprising isn't it.  On track days it still subbornly refused to go under 25mpg but I never considered economy  - it is just a bonus.  Higher tunes on variable valve timing engines will certainly up the power and reduce the economy.
Crate engines are circa £900, ECU's £400 - 600.  Throttle bodies and manifolds £900-£1400.  This is about the best bang for the buck combination - beyond this is racing performance and the pounds mount very quickly.  All of you ancillaries will fit with a bit of bracketry.  There will be the cost of an exhaust manifold and that is worthy of some investment.  The best is 4 into 2 into one for best exhaust gas flow.

Hope that helps - Ian

fletch_306

This is great help Ian it is much appreciated.

Could you point me in the direction of any suppliers at all.

Lucky Ed

Fletch,

As Ian has said his set up is perfect for a road car, giving a very smooth running reliable unit, but it doesn't come cheap. You could be well over £3.5K by the time you've done high pressure pump, swirl pot, return pipework etc. If you're on a tighter budget you could go old school and stick with a carb set up, which can give good results power wise at the cost of economy (as I've found to my great cost!).

I think the cheapest route to more power would be a s/hand silvertop Zetec,(with hyd lifters which will allow high lift cams without reshimming) and use your existing carbs driven by a simple ignition only ECU (Webcon Alpha/Megajolt or similar).
A standard Silvertop with 45 DCOE's should give 155/160bhp. Some high lift cams and some porting work (circa £750) could easily get you up to 190hp.

My set up is - New Blacktop Zetec/std pocketed pistons/ARP conrod bolts/300 deg cams with std valves & uprated springs/heavily ported head/45 DCOE's/Webcon Alpha ECU giving 227bhp @ 7400rpm. It's been a great project and great fun on track but it does drink the fuel, probably using at least double of Ian's set up, but the 50bhp has to come from somewhere :o

You pays yer money.................... ;D ;D ;D

Lucky Ed

Quote from: fletch_306 on 15, June, 2014, 09:57:54 PM
This is great help Ian it is much appreciated.

Could you point me in the direction of any suppliers at all.

Kit Spares are doing new Zetecs at £870

Advanced Automotive in Kingswood do a Omex throttle body/ECU kit for about £1800

Hope this helps
Ed