News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

VVC Link Shaft Problem

Started by sanzomat, 08, November, 2015, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanzomat

Another minor set back with my VVC re-build. I just couldn't get the VVC mechanism to work properly. I had it all timed in with all the marks lined up as per various internet guides (including our very own Dave B's most excellent write up), I'd put the cam ladder back on the head and then found that the hydraulic control unit plunger was really stiff and was actually jamming up completely at certain parts of its travel (this was with the cam belt off and all four inlet cams turned upwards so no valve spring pressure interfering so should have been just light pressure to push the rack piston in and out).

I had no choice but to take the cam ladder back off again. Wish I'd checked this before I put the sealant on!

anyway, the above photos show what I found - two teeth on the gear the hydraulic piston/rack turns are mullered. I can't imagine what could have caused this. Certainly nothing I've done. The rack that turns the gear is the full width of the gear so I really can't see how this semi circular squashing/bending of the teeth has been done.

I've found a new link shaft on ebay at a reasonable cost so thats on its way - hopefully that will sort it!

Iancider

I would guess that a bit of coin shaped metal has been floating about - question is where is it now?

Ian

sanzomat

I think I've worked out what could have done it. The rack that turns that cog is cut from a circular rod of steel. If it were inserted 180 degrees out with the rack away from the cog you'd have a circular end interfering with the cog teeth. I can almost picture some hairy arsed spanner monkey thinking "that's a bit tight, maybe a tap with the hammer"

Iancider

Ahah!

Detective on the Defective :P

sanzomat

New (to me) shaft arrived today. Looks in great condition, much better than the one that was in there.
If you are tempted to buy anything from an ebay seller called oldmech1943 , based on this transaction I can recommend him!