Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Tyre Choice...

Started by foggy@smr, 16, April, 2016, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy@smr

Right peeps.....

Don't want to start arguments, but looking for ROAD tyres for the Westie, with maybe the odd trackday use.

195/50 x 15 but not sure Yokohama Prada Spec 2's or Toyo Proxes T1-R  :-\

They both seem to be around the £150 - £170 for 4, so thought ask you guys who prob have both fitted for your opinions.

Our competition tyre's are likely to be R88R in 185/60 x 13

Facial Hair Optional

Toyo T1Rs have been discussed on here before once or twice and produced 'heated' debate! Most (me included) saying that they were hopeless, I took mine off the Fury and fitted R888s, much better.

Not sure if they still make them but Toyo do/did a tyre inbetween the two, the R1R I believe? Maybe consider them if you can find any?

R888s are great on track AND road as long as you stay out of the wet I'd say.

benchmark51

I have used t1r's for road use for 2 years now and have found them very good. Have had good wear and they're not even half worn yet. They shift water effectively and I can stop in a straight line without any drama's. Of course you need to drive within your ability and have the sense to drive according to current conditions otherwise you may get a free trip through the scenery. Don't think they are in production now so you can maybe get them at a bargain price.

paintman

Don't even think about getting T1r's for your Westie you'll kill yourself..... :o

They are lethal on "7" kit cars.....tried to put me through the hedge loads of times and very nearly succeeded last year!!!

Get a set of r888r's.....they're not so cheap as your other choices (£300+), but surely your life is worth more than that!! ::)

Tony

Lucky Ed

As FHO says, try and get hold of some R1R's if you can find any. Supposedly the same compound as a 888, buy better at shifting water. I've heard very good reports about them but they only come in 15's though.

Facial Hair Optional

Yoko Advans are very good I hear (I have some for the ASBO but yet to try them) but they are quite pricey!

Hey Ed/Colin - what about those Far East tyres you were trialing at Combe??

Iancider

I am now going to top trump all of those suggestions.

We have tried a set of Lakesea Tyres from Outlaw Products for the Go Inspire Car Alpha (MX5) the were sensationally good.  Tried on Ed's 250bhp wonder-machine they would not let go and that was on a very cold day and dampish.

Go have a look at these kiddies they are amazing and in just your size!:

Quotehttp://www.outlawproducts.co.uk/new/lakesea-tyre-07rs-195-50-15.html

Note the price! Speak to Natalie - sales@outlawproducts.co.uk

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Are they the Chinese tyres I mentioned above Ian or some other new ones?

Facial Hair Optional

According to the info on that link Ian, they are not road legal. foggy@smr is looking for road tyres with occasional track day use.

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, April, 2016, 09:10:45 PM
Yoko Advans are very good I hear (I have some for the ASBO but yet to try them) but they are quite pricey!

I went for Yoko Advan AD08R for my GTM. I couldn't get 888's in my size (very little choice for 16") but the AD08R's were half the price of the closest (but not quite right) 888's and only £15 a corner more than TR1's. I'm very pleased with my choice and they work well on the road too.

Facial Hair Optional

Don't quote me on this but I think the Advan AD08R is more of a road tyre than the Toyo R888 (so perhaps ideal for foggy??) and Yoko's equivalent tyre to the R888 for track and road is the AD48R?? No idea how they compare on price but from memory when I last looked Advan AD48Rs were a fair bit more than R888s in 15 inch size at least.

If Yoko AD08Rs are not much more then the price of T1Rs then I'd choose them over the Toyo T1Rs for sure.

Iancider

QuoteAre they the Chinese tyres I mentioned above Ian or some other new ones?

They are indeed the Far East Tyre you mention. 

Ian

foggy@smr

Thanks to all for your reply's....

So T1R's are off the list.....

Looks like the Yoko Prada's will be going on, as like I said, they are mainly only for getting the thing out and about, and maybe a few trackdays, as it will have R888R's fitted to the comp wheels. The gearbox also has been built for use with 13" rims, so want the best out of it.

The comp wheels are fitted with some Dunlops at the mo, but cant remember what they are for the life of me, so may have to kill those first  :D

Crunchie Gears

My son had Yoko Pradas on a Ford Racing Puma.  Brilliant in the dry but a big handful in the wet and that was a front wheel drive car.

I have used the T1Rs and found the grip in the wet similar to the Advan AD08R, the dry grip is much better on the Advan's and the Toyo wear rate was poor.

If it were me I would buy AD08R, they maybe more expensive, IMO they are the best value.

MisterM52

Quote from: Iancider on 17, April, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
QuoteAre they the Chinese tyres I mentioned above Ian or some other new ones?

They are indeed the Far East Tyre you mention. 

Ian

Hey fellas, I'm a regular from the bmw communities and have a strong presence for my diy bmw supercharged projects.

I came across this forum and joined purely because I wanted to ask more about these Lakesea Zestino tyres.

Currently I live in NZ where pretty much everything is subpar and overpriced, I got a supercharged bmw project and had some michelins coming that I was going to use to replace my current tyres. But there is a place near me that is selling these zestinos real cheap, like $300 NZD/$200 USD for a set/four. However the majority kiwi car communities prejudice (non whom have tried these and wont because they are european sounding far east tyres) dictate that I do not try these zestinos? Although some pro nz drifters seem to be using them now.

I honestly want to ask how are they really? for street use of course on a grunty supercharged bmw. I know semi slicks aren't the best for rain but really want some more info how they are, hows the sticky ness, grip etc. The michelins are maybe 3mm -5mm on tred, am I better off with these lakesea or whatever tyres instead?

Thanks

- Hyde

Iancider

Hi Mister M52,

These are deeply grooved and good for road or track.  They have been very popular over here for drifting.  We have tried them on the track in wet and dry conditions and even very cold days and they just kept performing and while the tread is new even as super-wets.  They are just stunning as an all-round tyre.  for track use we rated them as just under Toyo 888 performance but better in the wet and at half of the price can you argue with that?

Facial Hair Optional

At the price they are Down Under I'd say a bargain and well worth a try by the sounds of it!!

MisterM52

Quote from: Iancider on 17, June, 2016, 09:41:50 PM
Hi Mister M52,

These are deeply grooved and good for road or track.  They have been very popular over here for drifting.  We have tried them on the track in wet and dry conditions and even very cold days and they just kept performing and while the tread is new even as super-wets.  They are just stunning as an all-round tyre.  for track use we rated them as just under Toyo 888 performance but better in the wet and at half of the price can you argue with that?

Hi Ian, Thanks for getting back to me.

Really? That's quite impressive, and was a bit hard to believe at first. (you know far east tyres) . How was the were on them if I may ask some more questions and how would you rate them against lets say goodyear F1's or michelins? You know I am asking mostly for street use, a mix of dry and wet,  anyhow its important I get most traction. :) I saw the seller saying they may not be best choice for larger cars and rain or something, but watching your videos I may say otherwise (apart from that bit at the end, but I am sure you got her all up and running again)  ;) I want to put them on a E36 with a M52B28 Block (6 Cyl) Supercharged.

I must say you did a great job, good on you for trying them out, hope you dont mind giving me some more feedback, as at least this opens doors for people like me and a lot of the skeptical folks down here and around.

and yea I would definitely want to try them..  ;D

Thanks again.