News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

engine swap

Started by benchmark51, 17, May, 2016, 07:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Got the crossflow out of Ratbag yesterday and put in the pinto short motor in,to enable fabricating the engine mounts. Amazingly, it all fitted! No mods required :o ;D. Working in a dusty lane but with good weather so progressed quite well. Didn't have the luxury of a crane so all went in by hand, which was heavy going. However, Bulldog Bri came round and held my coat  :P :P :-*. Have another stint on it today, hopefully the weather will behave again.

Vindicator

What happened to the ST motor, Dave?

Ian

Bulldog Bri

If I remember rightly Dave, you disappeared off with some bogus looking for a strap excuse, to help lift the short block in. While I picked it up and put it in by myself  :-*

8)

benchmark51

Huuuuufff, how very dare you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Lol. Hope you found some bolts after I left today, for the water pump, state housing and alternater brackets. Plus Hooe the rain didn't spoil your fun either.  ;D

8)

benchmark51

Yeah, done all that. Stopped for a break, but went back out 'til it rained. Will collect the oil and antifeeze tomorrow and may start on the wiring. Got the deli's on the manifold with new thackery's tonight. Still waiting for a few items yet. Did you have the alternator adjuster? Cant remember taking it off.

longtimecoming

If you're stuck for an alternator adjuster, I have one here you can have. Good luck with the build Dave.

benchmark51

Quote from: longtimecoming on 18, May, 2016, 12:54:14 PM
If you're stuck for an alternator adjuster, I have one here you can have. Good luck with the build Dave.
Cheers mate, but Bri brought one around this afternoon. Thanks anyway. Got top and bottom hoses to sort next and taking the electrics from one side to the other. Still need to source a bonnet yet as mine aint gonna fit now!

Iancider

QuoteStill need to source a bonnet yet as mine aint gonna fit now!

I an sure you could fettle one Dave!

Ian

benchmark51

Engine in and running. Amusingly it starts on the button with everything set up by guesswork! Ignition set at about 6 degrees static, carb mixtures screwed right in and back out 2 turns was enough to start it. A bit of fiddling about got the tickover to 900 rpm and running fairly evenly. A bit of popping at the exhaust so I've left it to cool and will recheck the valve clearances and tighten the head tomorrow.

The bonnet no longer fits as the carbs stick out over the chassis rail on one side, the exhaust manifold on the other and the top pulley out through front! This is gonna be fun!

This brings me to a list of stuff I'm on the lookout for, I need...
a - A silencer, as the old one isn't going to be big enough
b - Radiator, same reason I think
c - Carb' balancer

sanzomat

d - tin snips
e - a big hammer!

Facial Hair Optional

I have a new Gunson's carbalancer Dave, you are welcome to use it. I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, though I have no reason to doubt it. I tried it the other day but I was not sure how to balance my Webers so didnt really get a result. It did show the airflow quite well though so I expect you'd do better with it than me! I guess if they didn't work they would not sell so many?

benchmark51

Quote from: sanzomat on 26, May, 2016, 10:13:46 PM
d - tin snips
e - a big hammer!

something like that I expect ;D

benchmark51

Cheers Steve, I'll give it a go if you let me know when and where. Seen them on ebay but haven't used one.

Facial Hair Optional

Anytime mate. Are you in a rush for it? You are welcome to come pick it up or if I'm out and about I can drop it down to you. You've got my mobile number Dave, just give me a call or text anytime

benchmark51

Had a go with the Gunsons carb balancer. It's not surgically precise but has returned a reasonable result. I found the link cable between the cold starts to be too tight, which was keeping the rear carb cold start partially on :(. Have taken it off as I don't use them, four throttle pumps does the job. Have been trying to find spigot tubes for the vacuum ports, but no luck yet.

I ordered a 6" x 22" stainless silencer from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131701028455?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

yesterday at 11.am. It arrived at 10.30 am today, click'n'collect at my local Homebase! ;D. Not too bad, complete with new clamps too.

Facial Hair Optional

Nice one Dave! Reckon you could make it work on my Tiger twin Webers 40s?

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 01, June, 2016, 07:46:30 PM

Happy to give it a try anytime. Have a digital tacho coming soon, should help with the adjustments

Tried Ratbag up Tog  hill yesterday and it pulls very well, but the handling is quite different. Can't bury the throttle going in now!

I have started carving my bonnet to fit around the carbs air filters (K&N) and the exhaust manifold. Need to chop some out of the centre to clear the engine and then devise a cover for it. Rained off today, try again tomorrow.

Facial Hair Optional

There is some good weather on the way Dave!  :)

Iancider

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 01, June, 2016, 08:43:26 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 01, June, 2016, 07:46:30 PM

Happy to give it a try anytime. Have a digital tacho coming soon, should help with the adjustments

Tried Ratbag up Tog  hill yesterday and it pulls very well, but the handling is quite different. Can't bury the throttle going in now!

I have started carving my bonnet to fit around the carbs air filters (K&N) and the exhaust manifold. Need to chop some out of the centre to clear the engine and then devise a cover for it. Rained off today, try again tomorrow.
How's it going now Dave, did your digi tacho arrive yet? I guess the pinto lump is a bit heavier than the old x flow which will effect handling or maybe it's just too quick now to bury the throttle going in? I seem to recall you have a fast road cam in it? With twin carbs that could be around 150bhp?

benchmark51

No, the tacho not here yet. Due tomorrow' ish. Seems to be ok temperature wise, I was expecting to change the radiator but no problem there. Getting a bit of popping back on the overrun and suspect a leak at the ex manifold. May need some hairier gaskets in there. Took it to a private road and it pulled well up to 120 but ran out of road. Too much welly in the corners got me sideways so need to watch that in the wet I think. I've chopped the necessary out of the bonnet and got it on, but need to cover the cam pulley, filler cap and throttle linkage with something now. May have to devise a lump like on a tiger. Where do you park yours? lol.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 06, June, 2016, 11:14:56 AM
Getting a bit of popping back on the overrun and suspect a leak at the ex manifold.
Do you mean back throught the carbs? I get that too Dave. Mine has always popped and banged on the overrun through the exhaust, I thought all pintos did that on kits!

Facial Hair Optional

May have to devise a lump like on a tiger. Where do you park yours? lol.
It's well under lock and key!! You're always welcome to come look at it or take measurements etc mate

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 06, June, 2016, 05:15:06 PM
Getting a bit of popping back on the overrun and suspect a leak at the ex manifold.
Do you mean back throught the carbs? I get that too Dave. Mine has always popped and banged on the overrun through the exhaust, I thought all pintos did that on kits!

No, not through the carbs. When decelerating,  a popping through the exhaust with an occasional bigger bang.

As young'uns, years ago we used to drill holes in the manifold to cause an air leak and when approaching bus stops we would decelerate, get an injection of cold air and ignite unburnt fuel. A big bang would happen which would wake up the bus queue. I know we was bad :-X :-X

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 06, June, 2016, 06:14:07 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 06, June, 2016, 05:15:06 PM

No, not through the carbs. When decelerating,  a popping through the exhaust with an occasional bigger bang.

As young'uns, years ago we used to drill holes in the manifold to cause an air leak and when approaching bus stops we would decelerate, get an injection of cold air and ignite unburnt fuel. A big bang would happen which would wake up the bus queue. I know we was bad :-X :-X

Every Pinto engined kit car I've seen and read up on says the same thing Dave, 'pops and bangs fantastically on the overrun' Not sure it can be stopped can it?

These days they sell 'flamer kits' basically a spark plug that you screw into the exhaust pipe or box to ignite the unburnt fuel I believe? Nice fat flames shoot out the end so I am told. Looks good at night but may be totally illegal!!

benchmark51

I have got it running well now, starts easily, just a little 'tickling' on the throttle for a minute or so and it will tickover quite happily. However fuel consumption isn't that good, although it pulls very well all the way up to 70(and well beyond on private roads ;D of course). I may have to try different chokes and jets. Chokes are mid point 30, mains 120, air corr' 170, emulsion 7772.7, idle 50. After a quiet, non hairy run the plugs are quite black so may need some changes there. I know it is going to be thirstier than the cross flow, but would be happier if the plugs showed a better colour.

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds like a good result so far Dave.

benchmark51

Not so bad so far. My 3 other vac port connectors arrived today so I'll have a play with the carbs again. Still fighting with the bonnet at the mo', or will be as soon as I put the shopping away. :D

benchmark51

Had a play with my vac gauges today. Connected them up and the car started straight away as usual and after a minute, was ticking over nicely. Waited for a while for it to warm up and the gauges indicated the rear carb running very slightly slow. 1/4 turn on the balance screw sorted that. Re-set the tickover to 800 and started adjusting mixtures, very little adjustments were needed to get highest rpm on all four, a couple of 'bootfuls' and back to a 800 tickover. It does drive very well, but still gets sooty plugs so need to try jets now.

Facial Hair Optional

So the Gunson's kit did an ok job then Dave? If I bring my Tiger over sometime soon do you fancy teaching me how to do it??   ::) ;D

benchmark51

Yep, got it damned close alright. Of course I''ll show you what I know. Before doing it you need to have good ignition, compression, no leaks and correct timing. Pretty obvious really. Gives me a ring when you want.

I wanted to get on with my bonnet, but got rained off today. Got the scoop on and exhaust/ air filter carving done. Just shaping, finishing and paint now.

Facial Hair Optional

Cheers Dave. As far as I know all those things are ok. The guy at the rolling road didn't mention any were wrong last time it was done and it hasn't done that many miles since.

In any case it has to be able to be got running better than it is now!

I'll give you a shout after the weekend.

Good luck with the bonnet mate, I'm at Combe tomorrow but I have to say the weather ain't looking very good atm

benchmark51

Doesn't look too clever at all. In between rain you have standing water and everything gets mucky, still gives you sumfin to do on Sunday.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 25, June, 2016, 08:33:25 AM
Doesn't look too clever at all. In between rain you have standing water and everything gets mucky, still gives you sumfin to do on Sunday.
Turned out to be a stonkingly beautiful day - until about 4pm when it rained like the world was about to end!!!

benchmark51

It's been mixed weekend for me, sun then rain then cloud and wind. So progress on the bonnet has been a slow in out, in out shake it all about time! Got some done and will plod on in between showers. At least the bonnet is 'usable' in it's unpainted state and there's no rush anyway.

benchmark51

Ratbag is running very well now and have done a few miles to locate and iron out a few niggles. Have an oil leak at the rear main, or sump. Had a feeling it might, used an old clutch to try it. It was a new seal fitted about 3 years ago, but the engine sat in the cupboard and was never used. Also the sump is shortened so may be that which is leaking. I am hoping I have enough room to shove the engine forward to change the clutch, will go about 6 or 7 inches forward. We'll see.

Doubt if I can buy a centre plate on it's own, unless any one knows different?

Facial Hair Optional

My shortened pinto sump leaked too Dave, bit of a nause when they do those things are. Hope you get it sorted easily. I know you wont need a hand but if you do give me a shout, you know where I am!!!

benchmark51

Ok ta. It is driving alright but getting clutch slip at higher revs, pretty sure there is oil on it. Would be suprised if it was the sump though.

Went out in it last night, couldn't go for a drink cos I'm on anti-biotics from the dentist for a week. Roads were very quiet, dunno why.

Facial Hair Optional

There was a report on tv that some nutter was out on the roads high on antibiotics and driving a kit car Dave, maybe that was why??   :o

Re clutch slip Dave, I have had the same issue with my Tiger, only when in 5th gear and giving it a bootful though. I do wonder if with the cam that we both have it could be an issue of too much torque???