News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Ford I4 twin cam in Westy

Started by Brandy Barrel, 11, July, 2016, 08:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandy Barrel

Ok so has anyone any experience with this engine. I picked it up for a song and it's gotta be better than my crossflow?

SPAXIMUS

That engine was only fitted for a short time and as such the tuning and spares is not that good. As always you can make anything fit and work but to me I would go Zetec as they are cheap, plentiful, have loads of info on how to tune and fit easily onto your exsisting box.
I also seem to recall they were very heavy

Brandy Barrel

Hmm I certainly knew there wasn't any tuning bits. Yes it was essentially the for runner to the Zetec almost a middle of the road between cosworth and Zetec while they decided what to do. But £70 for a 150bhp engine on 40s seemed a cheap way to have a standard reasonably high revving twin cam while I save up.
I didn't look at weights, is it that heavy?
Thanks for the input though, some feedback is better than none 👍👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼😊

SPAXIMUS

It is worth £70 for the carbs.

benchmark51

Well, you have it now so why not give it a go? The carbs are worth a lot more than £70. Depends on what more you have to spend to make it fit clutch/fly, mounts, gearbox ect. Also whether it's going to poke out the bonnet and needing extra cooling.

Brandy Barrel

No, no carbs. Just the manifold.
Yeah we'll get it stripped and checked then give it a go.

Brandy Barrel

Well more research on this engine has revealed that this can easily increase BHP with a cam change and carbs. It's a really strong engine apparently, the N6e version can Rev to 9000 revs as standard. Although most top standard power at 6250revs.
Delivery last week showed it to be quite a big engine.
We also procured a type 9 five speed gearbox which we will probably fit to the crossflow first!

benchmark51

There is a Ford event at Silverstone on the 7th, might be a good source of info on this subject. Could be a good day out also.

Saw it on locostbuilders here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=205235