+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

R888R's

Started by benchmark51, 23, July, 2016, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Just read this on Locostbuilders, seems a bit strange?

Just picked up my new R888R's from the tyre fitters. As you know you fit the original R888's to the wheel to orientate the tread depending on which side of the car the wheel is on. On the new R888R's the tyre wall states fit this side to the inside/outside of the wheel. Therefore, when the wheel is fitted to the nearside the tread is orientated in the correct position but when fitted to the off side it appears to run backwards. I phoned the Toyo technical line and the guy there agreed that he also thought it strange when he first saw them. I asked him if it's possible to to turn the tyre around opposite to the instructions on tyre wall but he advises that it's far better to run it "backwards". No doubt I will find out at the trackday tomorrow, as I only use them for track days, normally in the dry, I not too concerned it but I'm not sure what they would be like on a wet road. I still think I might turn it around against against the tyre wall info as I can't see what harm it can do and it would certainly look better. Any opinions?

'The Gaffer'

I've never seen the tread pattern running backwards on R888s, ever ???

Vindicator

I would have thought it would make the tyre very dangerous in the wet..the water would not be shifted and worse, would create a bow- wave....great recipe for aquaplanning.....Ian

benchmark51

Does raise a question doesn't it. Best answered before purchase though

fullpint

And here I am with a set of 15" wheels due in this week.. What tyres to buy?? Was going to go TR1 but Colin said R888 all day!!??!!?? Unsure now what to go for.. :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 25, July, 2016, 08:08:24 PM
And here I am with a set of 15" wheels due in this week.. What tyres to buy?? Was going to go TR1 but Colin said R888 all day!!??!!?? Unsure now what to go for.. :)
Yeah R888s over TR1s any day Steve. Bear in mind that this thread is talking about  R888Rs, the second R being key, it is Toyos new latest version of the R888, supposedly improved. If you can afford it go for Yoko Advans mate, been told time and again by people who know that they are better the R888s. Cost more though - bummer!

You will not be disappointed by R888s though mate, they are epic tyres and for road use more than most people need. I was totally impressed with them on the Fury. My advice? Get yourself a set of Toyo R888s and don't worry about the R888Rs or Yoko Advans.

What sizes are you after???

paintman

I've been running r888r's since May on the Hood but only for road use.

They were fitted as manufacturers' spec.

I can report no handling problems, excellent road adhesion and cornering.......I would not hesitate on buying another
set, far better than T1r's which I would say were down-right dangerous on a "7".

Tony

fullpint

R888 it is then :) :) Hopefully my local tyre place will cut me a good deal if I pay in beer tokens :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 27, July, 2016, 10:29:46 AM
R888 it is then :) :) Hopefully my local tyre place will cut me a good deal if I pay in beer tokens :)

Try ebay too mate and there are lots of places that sell them online. I got mine shipped in from Germany and saved a fair few quid. The size I wanted for the rear were hard to find over here.

My advice - shop around as prices on R888s seem to vary wildly!!!

fullpint

They you need to pay your local tyre place to fit em.. I tend to use Melksham Tyre Services.. £88 each to supply and fit..
15" wheels came in today at noon.. Already stripped, will blast and powder coat them in the morning :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 28, July, 2016, 05:11:53 PM
They you need to pay your local tyre place to fit em.. I tend to use Melksham Tyre Services.. £88 each to supply and fit..
15" wheels came in today at noon.. Already stripped, will blast and powder coat them in the morning :)
Sounds like a fair price to me mate. What colour will these wheels be??  :o ;D ;D