News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Birthday Track Day

Started by David H, 06, September, 2009, 08:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David H

Hello all

Its my birthday on the 27th of this month and I am planning to do a track day and use the birthday as an excuse. There are two that I am interested in for that period. The first is an open pit day at Castle Combe on Monday 21st at £195 and the second is an open pit day at Abingdon with MSE at £119 on the 25th which is a friday.

My favourite is Castle Combe as being able to go out whenever one pleases on an open pit day there would be a luxury and lunch is nicer there. Its also a bit closer to home. If anyone has been to one of their action days, it will be nothing like it. There will be less people and a slightly higher class of driver. Dont mean to sound like a snob but when you've done an action day you'll know what i mean... This is an awesome track on our doorstep.

If anyone would like to come let me know which would be your preference or if you can do both, I am away at the end of next week so I will be booking something before i go. For those who come we could go out for dinner or a couple of drinks after if anyone can muster up the energy!

All the best
Dave

'The Gaffer'

I really like the Coombe idea, but maybe not for a novice like me  :(

fcmmotorsport

Quote from: G & Toniq on 06, September, 2009, 10:33:30 PM
I really like the Coombe idea, but maybe not for a novice like me  :(

being a novice doesnt mater as dave said if its an offical combe track day you dont get any of the *ankers like at the action days so its a lot safer lot easier to drive (you dont have to wory about idiots and keep looking in your mirrors) plus they have pro drivers that will go out with you and instruct you. they are good days to learn at
;)

fcmmotorsport

its got to be combe dave bit dearer but easier and local knowledge is always best ;)

'The Gaffer'

I was at the last action day on Saturday, no way would I go out there without at least a years worth of experience and even then would be scared stiff some idiot trying to impress would side-swipe me.

As you say, maybe a more civilised day may tempt me. I have never done a track day before so am obviously a bit apprehensive.

One problem is noise, I was chatting to 2 kit car owners on Saturday, both with bike engined cars like mine and they both failed the test. Even the guy that does the testing said a lot of bike engined cars fail.

We shall see...

David H

Quote from: fcmmotorsport on 07, September, 2009, 01:00:13 AM
its got to be combe dave bit dearer but easier and local knowledge is always best ;)

agreed. Chaps, this is a lovely track on a proper day. Compared to last saturday, as John said, its chalk and cheese.

David H

Quote from: G & Toniq on 07, September, 2009, 10:44:41 AM
I was at the last action day on Saturday, no way would I go out there without at least a years worth of experience and even then would be scared stiff some idiot trying to impress would side-swipe me.

As you say, maybe a more civilised day may tempt me. I have never done a track day before so am obviously a bit apprehensive.

One problem is noise, I was chatting to 2 kit car owners on Saturday, both with bike engined cars like mine and they both failed the test. Even the guy that does the testing said a lot of bike engined cars fail.

We shall see...

You'd be fine and looked after by your friends. Yes it can be scary but there's tuition available as John said but I bet you forget to ask for any cos your having such a good time.

We can pack your exhaust to cool it on the noise. A little bit of planning and hey presto.

There's no pressure from this camp...

'The Gaffer'

I really want to do the Coombe, and as long as I dont upset anyone else driving like a grandpa on a Sunday afternoon then I will probably give it a go  :)

Andy, the guy that does the sound tests said bring my car up during the week and he will test it.

Problem is it is a custom exhaust system that cant be packed. My car has been round loads of tracks without any prblems, but I cant help thinking its getting a bit louder as time goes on.

David H

Quote from: G & Toniq on 08, September, 2009, 12:23:04 AM
I really want to do the Coombe, and as long as I dont upset anyone else driving like a grandpa on a Sunday afternoon then I will probably give it a go  :)

Andy, the guy that does the sound tests said bring my car up during the week and he will test it.

Problem is it is a custom exhaust system that cant be packed. My car has been round loads of tracks without any prblems, but I cant help thinking its getting a bit louder as time goes on.

Get the sound test done then see. You'll have this on most trackdays so its probably best to overcome the problem sooner rather than later. I nearly failed on Saturday. It read 99.7! Any news on the car coming back? yet?

'The Gaffer'

Phew 99.7, you were lucky there mate. The bike engined cars I followed down were in the 103-105 mark.

Looking to get the car back this weekend. The guy doing the job is going to hand craft a spline rod :)

I will take the car up and see what they say. Whatever happens I will do my best to get it sorted. The track looked great to drive.