Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

CKC TRACKDAY @ LLANDOW 15 May

Started by tickious, 28, February, 2010, 06:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

tickious

Hi, just got CKC and on page 35 they mention a track day on the 15th May.
£95 per car/driver.
It also says that if there are any clubs (LIKE US!)  ;) that would like to do a group booking, then they're happy to discuss discounts. I went there last year to look at buying a kit car last year (Unfortunately it died) but I did get a passenger lap off a 210 BHP Tiger, which was fun! My neck is still a bit trick!
I'm still a track day virgin, but I'm up for giving it a go, as it doesn't seem too tricky if you too are a first timer. Even if you're a seasoned pro. I think it would be a great meet for us.

Anyone else up for it?

1.   Tickious
2.    ?
3.    ?
4.    ?
5.    ?

Can't find any info online about it yet, but just spoke to Ian whose organising it and he says if we can get 5 people together then he'll let us in for £75 each, which is the same as if you're a CKC subscriber. I'm booked @£95 but would be good if at least 4 more want to come too.
Apparently there are 35 places in total and 10 have gone already! :o

Cheers David

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/ckcomextrackday.html

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 28, February, 2010, 06:43:22 PM
Anyone else up for it?

1.   Tickious
2.    G & Toniq Provisional interest
3.    ?
4.    ?
5.    ?

PhilW

Quote from: tickious on 01, March, 2010, 08:30:37 PM
Come on guys £75 has got to be one of the cheapest track days out there, and it's only 60 miles from Bristol!

It is cheap enough, i've done it in my kit but having done it in one of these it seems very slow in the kit

'The Gaffer'

Mark G

1.   Tickious
3.    David H possibly
4.    Mark G (As long as I don't wreck the car at Coombe in April)
5.    ?

YZFMINI

Quote from: Mark G on 04, March, 2010, 07:50:41 PM

1.   Tickious
3.    David H possibly
4.    Mark G (As long as I don't wreck the car at Coombe in April)
5.    YZFmini

Sounds like fun..

paintman

Think i'm on holiday over that period....won't know till later on in the year. :(

dave_bence

YZFMINI

im goin to need to get me some damn good ear plugs for the drive to here.

tickious

i've got some proper ear defenders i got for grinding you can use. Don't look cool but they'll do the trick :)

YZFMINI

I may have to resort the them.
so have we manged to get enought people in time.
i know the new member Nickc is also interested. i told him about this so he joind up.
im not goin to be around for the April meets as im on my honymoon. so ill neete to know as much as poss as soon as you know it..
though ill be art the club meet on the 9th.

Cheers

tickious

Hi guys,
just got another email off Ian @ performance publishing, requesting 5 definite names for the Llandow track day. Could you please put your name on the defo list for me ASAP so I can get back to him. Once we've done that to confirm our places, he wants us to phone him with our card details. He's already got mine.

1.   Tickious

WALNUT

YZFMINI

1.   Tickious
2.   YzfMini

Martin Higgs

'The Gaffer'

1.   Tickious
2.   YzfMini
3.   G & Toniq

tickious

Quote from: tickious on 04, April, 2010, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: G & Toniq on 02, April, 2010, 08:47:08 PM
1.   Tickious
2.   YzfMini
3.   G & Toniq
4.   Alastair

Come on guys, need one more Defo!

'The Gaffer'

Hi all.

We have managed to get 4 people up for this trackday, we just need 1 or more to make up the 5 for a discount of £75 pp.

Just post here if you are interested.

Should be a great day with separate sessions for beginners (like me) and pros too.

alastair

Hi Tickiuos,

Im now officially able to log on.

Thanks for adding my nameto the list!
I've paid Ian today for myself and Colin (YZFmini) so thats all sorted. I'm looking forward to giving the mini a good thrashing around the track. Hopefully without any issues on the day  :-[
Plus Im gona bring along some tools this time just incase!!

Alastair

tickious

Welcome to the gang Al! Good idea with the tools, hopefully none of us will need them. Also a good idea to get some breakdown cover too just in case. Let me know if you need cover, i've found a V cheap company.
Gentlemen, start your engines. :P

tickious

To my fellow intrepid trackdayers, it's not essential and I don't want to course any worry, but I've just taken out track day insurance through these people. It cost me £55 and £1000 excess, but I think worth it personally for peace of mind. I didn't get it when I did a half day at Keevil, but with this being a full dayer I can't help thinking if worst came to worst better than losing your motor. :o

Only a month to go!  ;D

Cheers David

https://secure.moris.co.uk/?id=4

Reading that back to myself it worried me! Not my intention, just wanted to make you aware it's an option.

'The Gaffer'

David H

Right then. Amazingly the car is back on the road after another blow at the Ring. I burnt a valve, blew 2 spark plugs. Now i have another new 16 valves and high temp sparks courtesy of the engine builder.... another warranty fix. Phew, could have been worse. I had a blast at the ring and i was very pleased with the cars performance whilst it worked. So, i'll come to Llandow peeps. Count me in. I wanna be there on Phils first one!!!

Pray for the sun gods and bring a spare set of tyres!!

Dave

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: G & Toniq on 02, April, 2010, 08:47:08 PM
1.   Tickious
2.   YzfMini
3.   G & Toniq
4.   Alastair
5.   DaveH

Well done Dave, I was really pleased for you getting the engine sorted so quickly :).

tickious

Toniq R Duratec

Not long to go! :P

and this is a short clip from the Bristol Tunnel Run
Taken with this little video camera http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280451785264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I've just got one for our track day, £17.99 inc postage! It's tiny, so easy to mount anywhere. ;D
Can take upto 8GB mini memery card.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370316554168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thought it might be fun if we could capture our day from a few different angles 8)

'The Gaffer'

1.   Tickious
2.   YzfMini
3.   G & Toniq (I have emailed CKC and left a phone message, maybe they dont want my money?)
4.   Alastair
5.   David H
6.   Mr Tone

Not a bad little camera, have you got any more footage shot with it? Has it got an external mic socket?

tickious

Hi team ;)

Just got a letter though Re our track day, guess you've got it too.
It says gates open at 8.30 to give us time to sign in and listen to briefing.
Also remember to bring drivers licence, helmet and arms and legs must be covered (bang goes my mankini idea)
I've got a spare medium lid if anyone needs one.
Google says it'll take us about 1hour 15 to get there so I suggest we meet at Halfords car park next to IKEA at 7am (Or 6.30 for fashionably late Phil ;D) to be on the safe side, especially as Alistair is trailering his wee beasty there.
Feel free to join us for the drive over if you'd like to spectate, as I did last year, it's good fun watching if you're interested in maybe doing a track day in the future, plus other kits to check out, and I'm sure we'll be able to manage a few passenger laps too. :P

Finally if you're making your own way over, be warned that the postcode they give (B) isn't actually the circuit (A)

See you Saturday[move]

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 11, May, 2010, 10:32:43 PM
(bang goes my mankini idea)

;D ;D ;D

Right heres the route, Google maps says 1 hour 9 mins

My reconing says that if signing on is at 9.10 and breifing is at 9.30 we should leave Halfords/ Ikea at the bottom of Muller road at about 07.30 even with towing, this allows 1 hour 40mins to get there.

I'm all for fashonably late, but not so sure about 2.5 hours early :o ;)

Dont forget to bring some cash for the bridge and a couple of jerry cans of fuel.

The other option is to camp near the track? http://www.llandowcaravanpark.com/location.html

I'm open to any suggestions though.

Route from Bristol.

David H

6 am may be a little early. 7 sounds like a good comprimise as its not fun being late especially when you shpuld check fluids, tyre pressures etc before venturing onto the track. The gates 'open' at 8.30 so i dont want to be sitting outside the gates for possibly over an hour in a car with no roof. Call me a Censored but i dont believe the canteen opens at a different time to the gates.....

If we leave at 7.00 from said car park and take a 'brisk' drive over, all should be well even with a trailer (depending of course on the trailer). Its not very far from Bristol. There would be no need to camp and i could get a decent nights sleep.

Gentlemen, apart from my spelling, how does this sound?

tickious

Quote from: David H on 12, May, 2010, 07:33:35 AM
6 am may be a little early. 7 sounds like a good comprimise as its not fun being late especially when you shpuld check fluids, tyre pressures etc before venturing onto the track. The gates 'open' at 8.30 so i dont want to be sitting outside the gates for possibly over an hour in a car with no roof. Call me a Censored but i dont believe the canteen opens at a different time to the gates.....

If we leave at 7.00 from said car park and take a 'brisk' drive over, all should be well even with a trailer (depending of course on the trailer). Its not very far from Bristol. There would be no need to camp and i could get a decent nights sleep.

Gentlemen, apart from my spelling, how does this sound?

I ment 7am, and I second or third 7am ;D Also we'll be limited to 60mph with the towing and waiting for the bike engined boys. JOKING! ;)

alastair

Hi Guys,

Tickious is right.I will be trailering so may need to give a little longer or I can go ahead and you guys can catch me up? Thanks for thinking of me Tickious!!
Remember there is also a 50mph limit from the other side of the bridge to cardiff at least, but I would think if we leave at 7 we should get there on time.

I should also have some boot space if anyone wants me to carry anything. I'll be taking tools, but if there are tools people want to take then there should be room in mine to save them floating about in passenger seats and footwells.

Also, if we get there too early and its raining (I hope not) thenpeople are welcome to take shelter in my hard top roofed motor.

Its gona be a fun day.

Whos nervous yet????

'The Gaffer'

7am it is then :)

Thanks for the storage Alastair.

Quote from: alastair on 12, May, 2010, 11:41:10 AM
Its gona be a fun day.

Whos nervous yet????

Apprehensive - not nervous, should be good fun :)

YZFMINI

7am Ok With me.

But what does he mean by waiting for the bike engine boys....
your gona eat dust for that....

YZFMINI

TOOL
WHO is bring in what.
Me and ali have had a quick talk about what were taking but there is no need to end up with 5 Jacks.
5 sets od spanners and sockets ect ect...

i sujest everyont takes specific tool for there car.
Then:
Im taking Multi meter.
jump starter / tyre pump.
fuses(blade type)
large sockets.
Gloves.

aliastair.
Jack.
Axel stands.
metric / imperial spanners
1/4 + 1/2 inch socket sets.
breaker bar.

add to the list...

alastair

I wish you would spell my name right Coline! Its even used as my user name. hehe.

i sujest everyont takes specific tool for there car.
Then:
Im taking Multi meter.
jump starter / tyre pump.
fuses(blade type)
large sockets.
Gloves.

alastair.
Jack: pump stlye plus scissor type
Axel stands.
metric / imperial spanners
1/4 + 1/2 inch socket sets.
breaker bar
some alen keys,
screwdrivers
Hammer(you never know with a mini) ;D

Also, dont forget to bring your locking wheel nuts if you have them just incase.

andygtm

Hope you all had a good time on the track. Who was the quickest? What lovely weather too.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: andygtm on 15, May, 2010, 07:23:41 PM
Hope you all had a good time on the track. Who was the quickest? What lovely weather too.

Well I think I speak for everybody, we all had a great day ;D Fantastic weather and good company as always.

Personally, I think I did quite well for my first ever track day, nearly spun a couple of times and was getting a little faster every lap - nowhere near as fast as Dave H mind you :P He was quick!!

I did however manage to overtake a few people and make a mess of my Toyo 888's so I must have been doing somthing right :)

I did spend a fair bit of time on the track, and only now that I'm I home I realise how physically demanding it can be on an old body like mine, I feel like I've been put in a giant tumble dryer for an hour while trying to stand up straight in it.

My car ran faultlessly on the track which was good news after all the work that has been done on it :)

A few of the boys setting up.

A good turn out for the event

Lovely blue sky, I was a bit late with the sunblock

A few of us lineing up to go out on the track.

Very technical on the fly re-map of Dave H's car?.. No, actually the picture shows his new camera being set up ;D

I should add a big thanks to CKC and Omex for setting up the event and great hospitality.

CKC magazine / Omex are looking to do another trackday around September but this time maybe on an airfield - count me in 8)

David H

Absolute Blinder, a cracking day and we were soooo blessed with the weather. Loads of good kit there, a few very fast cars and plenty of nice people to mingle with. We had a good group and i would like to say thanks to the Mini lads for helping set up my video camera. I think we need a firmer bracket as the picture was a bit wobbly.... next time.

Well done Phil!! Excellent show. Phil hit it hard and obviously enjoyed sinking his right foot into the floor all day!!! Fair play. This is what your car is designed for and lets face it, you cant drive your car like you stole it anywhere else without trouble.

Thanks Dave for getting stuck in with coming up with the day, we should do it again. Get yr mate Kelvin along again, he fits right in. And, thank you for my Hat!!! Its my new car beanie.

There is nothing quite like a day on the track with car loving nutters.

Ace.

Bulldog Bri

Good one guys

Any pic's from the day?  ::)

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bulldog bri on 15, May, 2010, 08:58:46 PM
Good one guys

Any pic's from the day?  ::)

8)

Couple 'o' pics imy post above Bri, not sure of any video as yet.

Quote from: David H on 15, May, 2010, 08:50:52 PM
Well done Phil!! Excellent show. Phil hit it hard and obviously enjoyed sinking his right foot into the floor all day!!! Fair play. This is what your car is designed for and lets face it, you cant drive your car like you stole it anywhere else without trouble.

Thanks Dave for getting stuck in with coming up with the day, we should do it again. Get yr mate Kelvin along again, he fits right in. And, thank you for my Hat!!! Its my new car beanie.

Cheers mate, and couldn't agree more about Kelvin. Nice genuine guy.

Dont start me on Beanie hats though, thats two hats that have blown off now >:( If anyone see's a blue beanie with BKCC on it whilst on the M32, could you stop and pick it up please? :)