News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hello

Started by bluehornetrider, 28, September, 2011, 08:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehornetrider

Hi my name is Paul, I live in Chippenham, I have been looking into kit cars as I've been intrested for years but never had the time or money available before.  I'm looking for a sevensque kit, the Dax Rush M/C really takes my fancy but I'm not wanting to take the plunge without a test ride first.  Is there anyone in the club who has one willing to give me ride?  I sat in a robin hood and couldn't lift my knee onto the clutch pedal for the steering wheel, I must have long legs. 
My thinking behind the Rush M/C is getting it light as possible and I like the Dax CC&AR front suspension setup, the low tax makes more sense than a huge V8, as much as I love the sound I still have to think about running costs.

I know Fireblade engines are mega in a bike but is there enough torque when in a car chassis?  Is the revvy nature of the engine too extreme to be enjoyable for long periods.  I won't be using it everyday but do like some comforts, so will be after wet weather gear and a windscreen. 
I rode a 600cc Hornet for 17000 miles so know how what seems like a nice comfy seat soon turns into a solid spine jarring slab after 4 hours riding.     

Hi to all.

YellaBelly

Hi Paul and welcome to the club.

At last, someone nearer to me than Bristol :D

I live near Malmesbury so not too far, maybe we could car-share to meets?

I'd let you have a run in my Locost if it was finished but I'm still 'nearly there' :)

John

Moleman

Hi Paul.
Welcome to the club.
As far a I know there are a few guys with Dax Rush's in the club but I haven't seen them all yet as I'm fairly new myself but from my experience so far when they read this I'm sure they will be happy to help.  ;D

bluehornetrider

Cheers, YellaBelly I'm sure you'll be driving around in your Locost way before I'm ready.  What engine are you running in it?

YellaBelly

It's a good 'ole Ford anchor, 2l Pinto (early type) but still feels pretty quick around the farmyard :). It's taken me 5 years from the start, it's the McSorley +442 (a larger version of the Ron Champion Locost), I'm glad I did it but wouldn't scratch build again!

Just put the primer on today and hoping to get the painting done by the weekend while the weather is good :D

John

'The Gaffer'

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to our club.

I have owned both bike and car engined kits, both have their merits. One thing I would say though is ignore all the talk about BEC's having no torque - Rubbish, my old blade powered car had more than enough.

Only downsides with Becs are no reverse, unless aftermarket solution is fitted and sometimes noise level at trackdays, this can be overcome with extra silencing if needed.

Car engined cars are a little more civilised but dependent on engine and state of tune can be surprisingly quick too.

See if you can blag a ride in Hairy Santa's Dax Rush Hayabusa turbo, extreme but very quick!!

bluehornetrider

That Dax 'Busa sounds mental, I like the concept and would love a ride.  I'm looking at Blade, R1 or GXR1000 lumps at the moment but waiting on some answers from Dax.  My Hornet used to pull like a train to well past 120 and when at full chat would get wasted by Blades so they must be plenty fast enough.  Would they need a clutch upgrade or are they built to withstand the abuse?   

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 28, September, 2011, 10:13:00 PM
Would they need a clutch upgrade or are they built to withstand the abuse?

Barnett springs at least, clutches do take a hammering.

dave_bence

Hello and welcome Paul ;D

bluehornetrider

Is there anyone out there with info on MNR RT, just found them on internet and they look really well built but I'd like a ride in one before commiting to buy.

Comprehensive Starter Kit £3950 including Vat

'The Gaffer'

Not sure we have any of those in the club do we?

Short of that it's a question of trawling the forums to find someone close who will give you a demo or contacting MNR for a test drive. They may even give you a couple of local customers names for you to contact.

bluehornetrider

Got a reply from MNR who say their nearest customer is in Slough.  Not too bad so have asked for details as they are based in Harrogate.

I'm torn between a Fireblade engine and an R1, I know the Blade is a solid lump with a rosk solid gearbox, but have heard to avoid injected ones?  Any experience would be welcome.

peetee

My fuel injected 929 blade has been perfect so far. Why were you told to avoid them? Just get it set up on a rolling road properly by someone who knows what they're doing. The only other potential hassle is MOT time with emissions?

bluehornetrider

Just reading bumf about kit cars and bike engines mentioned about the injected blade engine, but didn't explain why.

Did you go through IVA test with a tuned engine or standard?