News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Helllloooooo

Started by jason1159, 11, November, 2011, 08:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason1159

Hi all,

Thought i would do a quick introduction after being recommended to sign up here by Dave from Track Developements. I am a 23 year old Mechanical Engineer from Bristol undergoing a project to design and build a custom kit car from basic pronciples.

Without going into too much detail I have attached a couple of pictures to the thread and welcome your feedback and comments. The full triangulation is not complete yet as I am working on a suspension geometry today however the basic shape is visable.

I am struggling with weight distribution as the car must be rear engined to fit an old renault engine, this means even a 60/40 split is difficult to achieve even with the fuel tank, cooling system and battery situated over the front axel I am missing approximately 50kg on the front end. any recomendations of ways to solve this without adding balast will be greatly appreciated.

'The Gaffer'

Hi Jason and a warm welcome to our club.

Dont know how much the engine you are using weighs but you could always consider the all aluminium Ford Puma Zetec Sigma engine, 1.6 or 1.7. Both very light and powerful. Or a bike engine.

There is another guy on here designing a car, perhaps you both could compare notes. http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=1832.msg18262;topicseen#new

Moleman

Hi & welcome.
I can't help help you with your tec prob but I know there will be plenty in the club that will.
I'm going to be visiting Dave myself soon, my westy needs his set up skills.  :D

Camber Dave

Hi Jason

Welcome to the club. I am sure other members can help with other areas of your project.

I see Phil has poked you towards the body design thread which has been very interesting.

Dave

robp

'The Gaffer'

Krazyken

Hi Jason

My Marlin has a 53/47 weight distribution using Rover components, Dave knows the car very well and will be able to advise how this is achieved.

If you want to view my car for the mechanical layout please PM me.

YellaBelly

Hi Jason, welcome to the club.

I agree with you Rob, does look a bit like the Gaffer's old jallopy :)

JB

Bulldog Bri

Hiya welcome to the club.

Just my pennys worth, think it could do with some triangulation on the underside as well, a good start though.

Good luck with the project.

8)

David H

Welcome.

You could lengthen the chassis (wheel base) at the rear, bringing the engine more central or put a lighter engine in there.

Or put an engine in the passenger seat area.

fullpint

Hi Jason,
All I have to say is dump the car engine and stick in a bike engine. Weighs a lot less and could get you near the 60/40 split  :)