News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hi everyone

Started by Luke8, 12, March, 2016, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke8

Hi, I've been a member on here for a while but have never posted!! I brought myself a tiger e1 last September and only managed to get out in it a few times before the weather changed. Now it's starting to get nicer, need to get to get a few things sorted. I took it to a garage for a check over when I got it and they said it it had a leak on the drive shaft seal. They quoted me 550 to fix it and said the only way to fix it would be to remove the engine. Being  new to kit cars I don't know if this is right or if there is another way that you guys know how to do it. Also if any one could recommend a garage in Bristol that has experience with kit cars that would be much appreciated as the one I took it too said that it was the first kit car they had worked on which didn't give me that much confidence in them. Any help would be great.  Many thanks, luke

benchmark51

Hello Luke and welcome to the madhouse! Regarding your oil leak, usually quite simple to do but you say driveshaft leak? Do you mean the propshaft at the front or rear, or driveshaft at the diff. If you have some photos it would help, as we don't know what engine you have. I'm guessing at the oil seal in the tailshaft of the gearbox where the propshaft sliding joint is.

Try and upload a few photos, but the job should be pretty straight forward. Also where are you based?

Luke8

Going to get the car up tomorrow so will be able to have a look and take some photos. I'm in Bristol, St George area. It's got a 2l zetec engine on jenvys. Can't remember what they said to me at the garage, will find out. Don't really want to spend that amount of money and I'm sure I can sort it,with some knowledge of others:-)

benchmark51

I'm only up the road from you in Warmley. No you're right I'm pretty sure it won't cost anywhere near their figures. As I said need to see it.

Facial Hair Optional

Welcome Luke  :)

Nice to see another Tiger on our roads  8)

Moleman

Hope you get it done soon now the weather is changing. Pop down to Queens Square tomorrow morning & say hi as you may get some good advice in person.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Hi there,

A belated warm welcome to our club :)

Lucky Ed

Hi and welcome to the club. If the garage in question are saying the engine has to come out it is more than likely it's the crankshaft seal that needs replacing. That would account for a large chunk of labour, but there are always cheaper ways of doing things. If you post more info on here I'm sure someone can help out in some way.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 12, March, 2016, 09:20:11 PM
Hi and welcome to the club. If the garage in question are saying the engine has to come out it is more than likely it's the crankshaft seal that needs replacing. That would account for a large chunk of labour, but there are always cheaper ways of doing things. If you post more info on here I'm sure someone can help out in some way.

Good to see you again today at Combe Ed. Sorry I had to leave while you were out on track so didn't get chance to say cheerio.

I want that orange 16 plate Aventador for Christmas please mate!!  8) 8) 8)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 12, March, 2016, 10:06:33 PM

Good to see you again today at Combe Ed. Sorry I had to leave while you were out on track so didn't get chance to say cheerio.

I want that orange 16 plate Aventador for Christmas please mate!!  8) 8) 8)

Good to see you out and about Steve. Sorry I didn't have more time to chat, but I was helping Dino out with some guests by giving them extra passenger rides. The day was cut short though as a brand new race prepped Audi R8 had a huge off at Quarry. It totalled the car and the driver ended up in hospital. Apparently the guy is OK but the car is just a pile of carbon fibre and he took out such a large amount of the Armco the day was ended early.

I'm at Combe again on Friday with Colin, so if anybody wants to pop along for a ride, feel free!

If you fancy the Lambo Steve you'd better be quick, it's appreciating fast and he's already been offered £100k more than he paid for it :o

sanzomat

Hi Luke,

This thread has gone a bit off topic (FHO - naughty step again!). Welcome! I don't know much about zetec's but there are plenty here who do. Engine out for a driveshaft seal doesn't seem right on a front engine rear wheel drive car as the drevshafts are no where near the engine! Ed may be right and its a crankshaft seal. That may well be an engine out job but that doesn't necessarily mean its not a DIY task. There are a few engine hoists around the club. I have one that's not doing much at the moment.

Luke8

Thanks for all the replys. Had the car up this morning and had a mate who knows more about it then me take a look. First thing I noticed was that there was alot of things coated in oil, prob due to a leak on the top oil breather hose and not being connected to a filter or a catch can. We reckon it's Def coming from the crank shaft seal too. I Will ring the garage and get a quote again as the first one was for more things to do which I'm gonna do instead. My mate did pick up that there's no vaccuum pipe from the fuel regulator to the jenvys, is this bad? Any help would be great

Bulldog Bri

Hiya, and welcome. Not far from you either. Just up in Kingswood.

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 12, March, 2016, 10:45:51 PM

Good to see you out and about Steve. Sorry I didn't have more time to chat, but I was helping Dino out with some guests by giving them extra passenger rides. The day was cut short though as a brand new race prepped Audi R8 had a huge off at Quarry. It totalled the car and the driver ended up in hospital. Apparently the guy is OK but the car is just a pile of carbon fibre and he took out such a large amount of the Armco the day was ended early.

I'm at Combe again on Friday with Colin, so if anybody wants to pop along for a ride, feel free!

If you fancy the Lambo Steve you'd better be quick, it's appreciating fast and he's already been offered £100k more than he paid for it :o

Yes I got a text from a mate about that Audi R8 event. Nasty. I hear the poor guy in the Caterham was well miffed!

I will be there Friday all being well mate.

I had the same conversation with someone else about the crazy appreciation prices on certain cars at Combe. Wish I had the bucks mate! Money for old rope.

When I win my £70mil on the Euro Lottery I will defo be getting myself and Aventador. And a helicopter. Both in Orange!  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 13, March, 2016, 02:28:11 PM
Hi Luke,

This thread has gone a bit off topic (FHO - naughty step again!). Welcome! I don't know much about zetec's but there are plenty here who do. Engine out for a driveshaft seal doesn't seem right on a front engine rear wheel drive car as the drevshafts are no where near the engine! Ed may be right and its a crankshaft seal. That may well be an engine out job but that doesn't necessarily mean its not a DIY task. There are a few engine hoists around the club. I have one that's not doing much at the moment.

I no longer have a naughty step Dave - sold it on ebay. Some guy called Dave from Bristol bought it!  :o

You obviously didn't read the club small print. I am sure it said something like 'once you attain the heady heights of Mega Member, you can do what the heck you like' Hahahahahahaha!!!! Kidding.  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Moleman

Naughty step will always apply to you Steve.  :P :P :P :P

fletch_306

I have a Tiger supersix with a type 9 and zetec engine and I can easily remove the propshaft without any removal of other components. Don't know what the e1 is like exactly but I'm sure it would be much the same. The guys on here are amazing and very helpful and even if you live in south Somerset like me they will go out their way to come help.
Oh and welcome!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 13, March, 2016, 08:12:00 PM
Naughty step will always apply to you Steve.  :P :P :P :P

That figures. I've even changed my forum profile now  :(

So.... is it a crankshaft, a driveshaft or a propshaft leak? Have we solved that bit yet guys?

Most of us know a good mechanic or two who would give you another safe opinion I am sure Luke. What part of Bristol are you in??

Luke8

Hi, a friend reckons it's from the crankshaft seal. We also spotted leaks on the oil breather hose and really needs a catch tank fitted, was very oily around the area.I'm gonna do most of it myself but needs to go in for mot too. I'm in redfield/St George area of Bristol. Can anyone recommend a garage around Bs5 area?

sanzomat

For the MOT I'd certainly recommend FCM, not a million miles away from you and they give a discount to club members (£35 for last mot) and they do understand kit cars. I can't comment on what they are like to get work done as I do everything myself. They are listed on here in the discounts area.

Luke8

Ah thanks, didn't know about fcm motorsport. Actually very close to me which is great

benchmark51

FCM did my transit and my locost last year. Did the transit this year and I need to book another. All done while I waited.

Luke8

Can anyone recommend a good shop for car parts around Bristol?

benchmark51

what parts are you after?

Luke8

Need to replace the breather hoses and after a catch tank too. Might just order online, was going too do some work on it today but might have to wait till next weekend

benchmark51

You're probably better off looking on ebay, lots of choice there. Anything bought in Bristol seems to be dearer than on line. It's almost as if there is a 'Bristol tax'. I usually buy something every week and use click'n'collect if possible.

damouk

Unfortunately Dave is right, more selection and cheaper online, its no wonder all the Man's shops have closed down. If you are after a bespoke catch can then I know someone who might be able to knock one up