Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hello

Started by RTseven, 22, September, 2010, 12:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTseven

Hi guys
Just about to get started on a locost seven, Im from lancashire (southport) and im an Electrician if anyone needs any help on that side of things.

Could do with some help on choosing which engine to use in my car though. Im after the easiest and cheapest engine etc to use on the seven. Cheers guys and gals.

dave_bence

Hello and welcome ;D

Keep an eye on various kit car forums and the classified ads.

You might be able to get a complete drive train from someone who's upgrading, eg from a Crossflow to a Zetec or from a K-Series to a Duratec etc.

David H

ditto that

what are you going to use it for?

do you want it to be fast?

'The Gaffer'

A warm welcome to the club RTseven.

New crated Zetecs are worth a look.

YellaBelly

Hello and welcome to the club. :D

JB

paintman

Wellcome to the club.     The old Pinto is probably the cheapest option but getting a bit long in the tooth.......like me.  (I got one in mine)  ;D

Tony

RTseven

Thanks for the advise so far guys, In response to one question, (What do i want it for?) Its going to be a weekend and occasional trackday car. I have a mate whos got a 1.6 pinto'd mk, but I think I would prefare the Zetec or bike engined. But cost is the first hurdle although I think I would probably have more problems with a pinto.

What sort of things need to be done to turn a zetec into RWD?

David H

RS 2000 bellhousing  to mate to a type 9 gearbox with modified cossie prop, sierra diff.

or

MT75 gearbox which includes its own bellhousing one off prop made, sierra diff.

Mt75 more modern, much slicker but only has a few ratio options. type 9 older, more expensive, not as smooth but more aftermarket options for ratios available.

I happen to have a lot of what you would need left over from my years of collecting to do this set up. (inc brakes, some wishbones, etc etc)

paintman

Pintos aren't troublesome in my opinion.  They have been about for 25 years and are tried and tested.   There is little technical to go wrong which is why they are popular and if they are tuned up with a decent cam and carb. set up they can be pretty quick......or put in a Cossie.  ;)

RTseven

Got to admit I do like the pinto's due to there simplicity. One thing ive just found is that my grandad is offering me his rover 75 with a 2.5v6 under the bonnet for free. They any use? or would it be a waste of time.