AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thinking of booking Castle Combe just for us.

Started by Moleman, 30, March, 2015, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Moleman

Don't forget to bring your Driving Licence on the day!
This will be the first time I will show mine there on a track day but apparently you will need it for the form we will all have to fill in on the day.

I'm planning on doing two seasons for 15 minutes at the very start. You will follow a pace car for the first 3 laps where he will drive around on the proper racing line getting slightly quicker each lap then he will peel off for you guys to go around & get used to the circuit with out worrying about experienced guys bothering you.

Season 1 = will be for people who have very little experience of track days

Season 2 = will be for people who have done them but haven't done Castle Combe on a proper track day before.

If you would like one of us track regulars to sit in with you on these laps then I'm sure we will be happy to do so.

I hope this is OK with you guys & if you would like to let me know which Season is for you then you can PM me rather than put it on here. So please let me know so I can make the day go better for you.   8)

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds great Colin!

I must admit due to my illness flaring up again lately I am struggling for motivation  :(

There is a chance I may not make the track day and my place MAY be up for grabs.

I am hoping to get the Fury sorted in time (well sorted enough to use), it won't be as I really want it until next year but hopefully working well enough in time for Combe.

sanzomat

I think I'll go for the first category. I've not done a full track day in my own car before. I'm pretty sure I know the right lines but I'd like to start steady and build up.

I have done a Combe driving day in Focus/Imprezza/Elise/Formula Ford but that was about 7 years ago.
I've done a full day at Palmersport driving Caterhams, Clio Cup, 911, M3, GT special and single seater, over 4 years ago.
I also survived a full day bike track day at Combe on an R1 in 2013 and turned out to be one of the faster people in the slow group.

Apologies for the slightly crap picture - off a friend's phone...

In my own car I've only done the 15 minute session on the June day and a few wet laps last Sunday. I'll also have a set of brand new tyres to scrub in (hopefully being delivered today) so a few steady sighting laps would be ideal for me.

Moleman

No probs Dave. What about the rest of you guys?  :)

Iancider

QuoteHmmmm, 13, now what is it about that number that worries me again??!!?? 

You can't count beyond 13????;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 28, July, 2015, 10:37:29 PM
QuoteHmmmm, 13, now what is it about that number that worries me again??!!?? 

You can't count beyond 13????;D
I don't recognise that number Ian, doesn't it go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,16, etc etc??

Iancider

QuoteI don't recognise that number Ian, doesn't it go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,15,16, etc etc??

No 13!.....Just count your fingers and toes! ;) :P

Moleman

Ok only one reply about the seasons so please let me know if you would like me to do this please guys.

Facial Hair Optional

I think it's a great idea Colin, session one (novice!) for me please mate.

mikebishop

Hi,

yes i think a novice session to start the day would be a good idea, just so we can familiarise our selves with circuit. (its a first time trackday in this car and a first trackday at combe so take it easy on me) ;)

Moleman

That fine Mike thanks for coming back to me with your thoughts. We are planning on making it friendly for everyone so hopefully no one will feel uneasy on the day. I'm sure your better than you are saying.  :)

rivsy36

Hi Colin

Good idea most track days I have been on you always do the first session behind a pace car. Me and Brendon attending, if its two sessions, although we are only one car? novice for me quick for Bren. If we get one pace car session per car we are both ok with the experienced group as a pair. Looking forward to the day.

John

Moleman

OK details for the day.

Sign in 7.30am-8.30am  = You will also have to sign a Indemnity form as well as showing your Driving Licence which we will need to write the number down on the form.

You will need to do a sound check which you won't be allowed on track until you do & I recommend you do this between 7.30am-8.30am so you will be all sorted before the track opens.

Sound limit is 100db & if you exceed this they won't let you on I'm afraid & there is nothing I can do about this. Sorry.

8.30am = Is the briefing which everyone has to go too. They will give you the low down of all the do's & don'ts, track etiquette & all the rules.

Don't worry the only rule you have to remember is no over taking me!  :P

9am we will start the seasons. If we only get a few wanting to do this then we will fit you all in on the one season. This will be 3 laps behind a pace car which will gradually speed up each lap, then he will peel off & let you get used to the track for about another 5 laps.

9.15am = second season if required.

9.15am = 5pm (accept lunch break) We all have good clean fun for the day.  8)

A few things you will need is = 1, Driving Licence
                                          = 2, No shorts or t-shirts. (you need to be covered up at all times, Including saloon cars.

Please remember there is no fuel station next to circuit any more so bring plenty of fuel with you or you will need to drive into Chippenham.

One little change to the day. Extra driver is still free but we have decided that everyone can have up to two free passengers for the day & any more they will have to pay a fee of £5 per passenger after that.

All the money from this will go towards the Go Inspire project so I hope this is ok with all of you.

Any questions please ask so I can make the day go smoothly for you.  :)
Colin.

Lucky Ed

Good idea Colin, it's a good idea to help out the new guys, as we all remember our first track day can be quite an intimidating experience. More than one pace car might be an idea, as once you've got more then 3 or 4 cars following, you tend to lose sight of where the correct line is.

I'm happy to help out either as pace car, or to sit in with one of the newbies. Really looking forward to this one, fingers crossed for good weather.

sanzomat

Possibly a daft question - how much petrol am i likely to burn in the day? I've only got 2 x 10l jerry cans and my tank is only 25l so I'm thinking I might have a trip or two to Chippenham to do!! Maybe a chance for the brakes to cool down a bit!

Moleman

I'm hoping to do two seasons for the two different levels of experience. But that is also a good idea Ed & we will see on the day if it is needed.  :)

I'm sorry to say Dave but it is one of those things you won't know until you have done one with your own car.  :)

Lucky Ed

Dave - on a good track day on a fast circuit like Combe, I would expect to cover near to 200 miles and burn at least 80 litres, but then mines one of the thirstier cars. I would have thought the cans you have got should get you to lunchtime ok - the other thing to remember is that Circuit Motors no longer sells fuel, so it's a couple of miles to the closest garage.

sanzomat

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 30, July, 2015, 09:10:46 PM
Dave - on a good track day on a fast circuit like Combe, I would expect to cover near to 200 miles and burn at least 80 litres, but then mines one of the thirstier cars. I would have thought the cans you have got should get you to lunchtime ok - the other thing to remember is that Circuit Motors no longer sells fuel, so it's a couple of miles to the closest garage.

So thats about 11mpg!! at least its in double figures...

Jagodo

Been away and hadn't noticed this thread...

Are the any places left for this?

When I went to the Retro, Kit & Classis day in June they were doing 15 minutes sessions throughout the day. Is that the same here? or do we get 5-7 hours of almost uninterrupted track time? Could actually be too much of a good thing!

Gary RH7

I was so gutted at missing out on Castle Combe because of the rain the other day and I have never been round a race track.

Forget the £5.00 Colin...I am willing to give £20.00 to the charity If someone takes me round in any type of 7 as a passenger :P

Any takers?

Iancider

QuoteForget the £5.00 Colin...I am willing to give £20.00 to the charity If someone takes me round in any type of 7 as a passenger :P

Any takers?

You have a volunteer - all in a good cause! 

There will be loads of opportunities for passengers so I guess there is no limit effectively for passenger rides!

Regards
Ian

Gary RH7

Moleman

Quote from: Jagodo on 31, July, 2015, 08:22:13 AM
Been away and hadn't noticed this thread...

Are the any places left for this?

When I went to the Retro, Kit & Classis day in June they were doing 15 minutes sessions throughout the day. Is that the same here? or do we get 5-7 hours of almost uninterrupted track time? Could actually be too much of a good thing!

I can put you on the reserve list Jagodo.  :)

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 31, July, 2015, 09:38:08 AM
I was so gutted at missing out on Castle Combe because of the rain the other day and I have never been round a race track.

Forget the £5.00 Colin...I am willing to give £20.00 to the charity If someone takes me round in any type of 7 as a passenger :P

Any takers?

You pay £5 for a passenger band so once you have it then you can be a passenger with as many cars as you like.
I know most of us will be happy to take you out mate.  :)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: sanzomat on 30, July, 2015, 09:48:04 PM
Quote from: Lucky Ed on 30, July, 2015, 09:10:46 PM

So thats about 11mpg!! at least its in double figures...

If I try really hard I can get it down to 9 mpg by the end of the afternoon  :o

Facial Hair Optional

The question is are you brave enough to go out with Coneman the Car-barian????  ;D

Moleman

I'm requesting no cones for the day so I should be fine, Though be careful mate you might hit one yourself.  :-*

Moleman

A quick recap for the day.

Sign in 7.30am-8.30am  = You will also have to sign a Indemnity form as well as showing your Driving Licence which we will need to write the number down on the form.

You will need to do a sound check which you won't be allowed on track until you do & I recommend you do this between 7.30am-8.30am so you will be all sorted before the track opens.

Sound limit is 100db & if you exceed this they won't let you on I'm afraid & there is nothing I can do about this. Sorry.

8.30am = Is the briefing which everyone has to go too. They will give you the low down of all the do's & don'ts, track etiquette & all the rules.

Don't worry the only rule you have to remember is no over taking me!  :P

9am we will start the seasons. If we only get a few wanting to do this then we will fit you all in on the one season. This will be 3 laps behind a pace car which will gradually speed up each lap, then he will peel off & let you get used to the track for about another 5 laps.

9.15am = second season if required.

9.15am = 5pm (accept lunch break) We all have good clean fun for the day.  8)

A few things you will need is = 1, Driving Licence
                                          = 2, No shorts or t-shirts. (you need to be covered up at all times, Including saloon cars.

Please remember there is no fuel station next to circuit any more so bring plenty of fuel with you or you will need to drive into Chippenham.

One little change to the day. Extra driver is still free but we have decided that everyone can have up to two free passengers for the day & any more they will have to pay a fee of £5 per passenger after that. You will get a passenger band which is valid for the day with any car.  8)

All the money from this will go towards the Go Inspire project so I hope this is ok with all of you.

Any questions please ask so I can make the day go smoothly for you.  :)

Reserve list so far is  = Alistair, Jmad & Jagodo

Gary RH7

OK £5 for the passenger band but I will still put an extra £15 8)

Iancider

QuoteOK £5 for the passenger band but I will still put an extra £15

No there's a decent chap!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 01, August, 2015, 06:15:04 PM
I'm requesting no cones for the day so I should be fine, Though be careful mate you might hit one yourself.  :-*
Oh I think there is no 'might' about it mate, I will be hitting plenty of them I am sure of it!!  :o :( :(

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 02, August, 2015, 12:31:27 PM
Oh I think there is no 'might' about it mate, I will be hitting plenty of them I am sure of it!!  :o :( :(

I don't know what anybody else thinks, but it might help the newbies to have a few cones about the place. I always found markers for turn in point and apex really useful, especially on tracks I didn't know.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 04, August, 2015, 08:39:06 PM
Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 02, August, 2015, 12:31:27 PM

I don't know what anybody else thinks, but it might help the newbies to have a few cones about the place. I always found markers for turn in point and apex really useful, especially on tracks I didn't know.

I agree!!!  ;D

benchmark51

When I did formula ford training at Silverstone, flags were used to mark correct gearchange and braking points at the corners as all that should be done before entering the corner. It was quite successfull. Dunno about cones though, might be too much temptation for some. lol ;D ;D

Moleman

robp

Quote from: Moleman on 05, August, 2015, 06:53:41 AM
I was joking about no cones.  :)

Yes, they always have them out for braking point, turn in point and apex/clipping point.

(or in my case; braking point, fuel pump inertia switch cut off point, and starting coasting to the side point.)  ; :-[ ;D

Moleman

You will find three different coloured cones, 1= is braking point, 1 is turning in & the other is the apex on the corner you should aim for.
You will find these very helpful. Most of the ones I have hit were extra ones for silly little reasons that Combe seemed fit at the time.  ::) :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 05, August, 2015, 07:54:22 PM

Most of the ones I have hit were extra ones for silly little reasons that Combe seemed fit at the time.  ::) :P

That is hilarious Coin!! That is the second time today I have cried laughing on this forum! Who needs bloody meds when we have Colin and Ian!! I love you guys!!

I'm gonna bring some of my own cones and dot them around just to see if you can hit them Colin!! Watch for the video on youtube!  :D :D :D :D :D :P :P :P :-* :-* :-*

Iancider

The red cone is the braking point - if you hit that one - you probably braked too late ;)

The blue cone is the apex - if you hit that one - you are turning too tight  ;)

Yellow cones are the pit lane - if you hit those you will also hit buildings  ;)

Silly cones are not easy to spot but they sprout legs and run-out in front of you  :D

sanzomat

How can you hit the braking point cone by braking too late? You shouldn't be braking until after that one (depending on the size of your balls/how good your brakes are, quite a way after the cone!). If you hit the turning in cone then you probably left it too late to brake and have locked up!

We need someone to move the braking point cone steadily closer to the turn in cone during the day...

Facial Hair Optional

For the record I would just like to say that I think the person least likely to hit any cones at all is Moleman/Colin. I think he's a great driver and all my jibes about cones have been in jest.

There you go Colin! All sorted now!!  :D :D :D

Now can I follow you round Combe so I can get things right please??  :P :P :P :D :D :D :-* :-* :-*