News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Kit Car Wrapping

Started by foggy, 18, October, 2010, 11:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

Well- the Hood has gone in today to be wrapped!
Bonnet and nose cone first, that should be done by tomorrow night, the rest of the car in Weds,pick up Thurs night-if all goes to plan. Tacking tin top to Exeter Kit Car show on Sun, need to buy new seats, wheels (I've seen a pair at Halfords-possibility,but they are not blingy enough!). Where can I get interior carpeting?? I will probably have to do the dashboard,as that will not match any more. Do you think I am going to get much change out of a tenner!

'The Gaffer'

Take a £Grand with you mate.... at least.

I wonder what the wrap will be???

'Mendip Wurzel'

So what colour / style did you decide on for the wrap

Daley Down Under

Quote from: foggy on 18, October, 2010, 11:30:04 AM
Well- the Hood has gone in today to be wrapped!
Bonnet and nose cone first, that should be done by tomorrow night, the rest of the car in Weds,pick up Thurs night-if all goes to plan. Tacking tin top to Exeter Kit Car show on Sun, need to buy new seats, wheels (I've seen a pair at Halfords-possibility,but they are not blingy enough!). Where can I get interior carpeting?? I will probably have to do the dashboard,as that will not match any more. Do you think I am going to get much change out of a tenner!

I used sticky backed speaker covering (bought off ebay) as carpet.  It's light, easy to cut and hard wearing.  Does everything you need.  I can put a link up if you like?

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 18, October, 2010, 03:45:56 PM
I used sticky backed speaker covering (bought off ebay) as carpet.  It's light, easy to cut and hard wearing.  Does everything you need.  I can put a link up if you like?

Is that the slightly furry stuff Adrian? If so its very hard wearing.. and light too.

Daley Down Under

That is the slightly furry stuff - to all intents and purposes it is carpet.  Just 2mm thick and comes on a roll 1.8m wide.

foggy

That speaker stuff might be just what I am looking for, can you send me the link.  As for the colour of my car, its very bright, I only have super imposed pictures at the moment. Its a one off design,the guy at the company designed it for me, you will be able to see this car coming!

Grin-a-lot

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 18, October, 2010, 05:03:21 PM

That is the slightly furry stuff - to all intents and purposes it is carpet.  Just 2mm thick and comes on a roll 1.8m wide.

I'd be interested too, thinking of going from grey to black and the thinner the better!

Daley Down Under

None for sale at the mo on ebay.  Seller id is:

r_d_m_entertaiments25

'Mendip Wurzel'

The speaker carpet is a brilliant suggestion. I may try that myself.

I just found this link -

http://www.rdm-entertainments.co.uk/products.php?cat=46

Daley Down Under

That's the stuff.  Worked really well on the inside of the Marlboro Car.  Looks like it's out of stock though

foggy

Thats stage one completed. The Hood goes in tomorrow to be finished. Should take 2 days possibly 3. Very pleased how its going. Will post pics when its completed.

foggy

just rang r.d.m about carpet it should be back in stock end of the month 

'The Gaffer'

Foggy's wrap so far... Should be completed by Friday.

I think it looks great :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Amazing what can be done with wraping. It looks brilliant. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

YellaBelly

foggy

The story of wrapping and what it involves. First of all, its like preparing your car for a re-spray. All the dents,stone chips,scratches.have to be filled and smoothed out. I used spray,primer,filler and sanded it all down by hand,using 1500 grade wet and dry. This took me about 4 weeks, just doing a couple of hours in the evening.Every thing exterior body was taken off.I had to totally respray the rear wheel arches as they were so bably pitted  using some old tins of spray paint I had. The vynil will only stick to a painted surface.I has a test piece on the bonnet to check that it did'nt melt. The car went in, in two stages, bonnet and nose cone, then the whole car. It all should be completed by Friday, can't wait to see the finished Hood.             

'Mendip Wurzel'

I must admit that I had never appreciated what was possible with wrapping. You have certainly taught me somthing, which isn't difficult.

The car looks great.........

'The Gaffer'

paintman

Impressive.....like the way they managed to go over the bonnet vents.   Should look a bit special when finished!

Bulldog Bri

Grin-a-lot

That looks great Foggy, not an MOT tester myself but reckon you might want to turn those headlights through a couple of degrees to get them working right. ;)

Thats a head turner of a car for sure!

'The Gaffer'