News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Best injury building your car?

Started by Rosco, 13, November, 2010, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosco

As per the title really.

Here is my offering

Last night, I was making the finishing touches to a few rivets, one was a bit squiffy, and so I opted to drill it out......

Whilst steadying the drill, it snapped and went straight trough my thumb (in one side, out the other.....)

I had to get the wife to take me to frenchay casualty,

How can a 3.5mm drill hurt soooooo much, and still hurt like hell........

Rosco....

But I'm hard core, I still managed to fit my new radiator with one hand  the pinto to Zetec conversion is nearly done.......

Daley Down Under

As you say - ouch.  How long did the casualty process take at Frenchay on Friday evening?

In terms of injuries, I managed to electrocute myself with a brazing attachment on an arc welder, which blew a tooth out of my head.  False one has been fine for over 20 years.

Adrian 

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 13, November, 2010, 06:48:39 PM
which blew a tooth out of my head. 

Wow :o

Cant say I've hurt myself on cars other than the usual knuckle raps, but I did crush a finger in a moving lift I was repairing.. It literally exploded :o

Drove myself to Reading hospital as I was working near it, took me an hour to park and when I finally got to casualty they told me there was a 3 hour wait - even though my blood was dripping all over the floor.

Borrowed a few bandages and drove back to Bristol Southmead Hospital, they saw me straight away and I still have the finger attached today thanks to them.

Quarrycars

Once stood up under the cross beam of the ramp and hit my head hard enough to put me on my knees for a minute or two.  Note; if you wear a baseball cap when working under a vehicle put it on backwards so you can see up.  Lots of blood, while in casualty being stiched up some comedian walked by and said to the nurse "did you have to shave his whole head?"   :'(

David H

Considering the level of Health and Safety in my camp its no surprise I've lost 2 arms and a leg with angle grinders and jigsaws.

I now perform rigerous risk assessments before using every tool and if Phil's around I may even think about what I'm doing before I do it.

My remaining limb is very handy.

dave_bence

Hairy Santa

Quote from: David H on 14, November, 2010, 11:02:38 AM
Considering the level of Health and Safety in my camp its no surprise I've lost 2 arms and a leg with angle grinders and jigsaws.

I now perform rigerous risk assessments before using every tool and if Phil's around I may even think about what I'm doing before I do it.

My remaining limb is very handy.

with the two of you together it should be entertaining using power tools  - hilarious would be more like it  :D  ;D  - how is the one limb that is left by the way

David H

Furore Phil

Wow - makes my injuries look pathetic, just a few scraped fingers.

I did manage to pop a knee once playing football. I got lots of sympathy from the nurses until they asked what position I was playing... It was then that I had to admit that I was actually the sub and wasn't playing, I was on the touch line. I turned around to pick get the ball up for our goalie, heard a nasty sound, looked down, swore profusely and fell over backwards.

Neadless to say all sympathy went out of the room and I got a few laughs.

Denzle

I took off half of my thumb with a junior hack saw while cutting a distributor clamp. The bone was sticking out proud.   :o

After nearly passing out my mother told me to go to the hospital and get it stitched back on.   :(
But I washed it in dettol water that stung like hell, then taped it up with insulation tape so I could get on with the job.  There was blood everywhere.   ???

Later I bandaged it properly and for many years the end of my thumb was dead, no feeling what so ever.

Then one day it suddenly came back, fantastic.   ;D

I still have the scar from the side of my nail half way round my thumb.
Added to that, I cant count all the other scars recieved from bodywork cuts over the years.  It was a regular thing in the motor trade.  :'(
The pain.......I understand just how you felt.   I think a tooth out is less painful.   ;D

YellaBelly

Managed to lose out to the angry grinder a few weeks ago. Didn't notice anything until the welding glove I had on at the time seemed to get a bit warm! Then I realised I'd gone a little bit close to the disc and cut through my glove and started to munch away at my finger :o. Should have left the guard on really but I took it off to get to a really awkward spot, stupid I know but lesson learned. I now have a cut-off tool for those awkward spaces :)

Dixie

I had a date with Mr.Stanley.

Cutting a cable tie, knife slipped and stabbed the palm of my hand near my thumb.  Blade went all the way in, dark blue/red blood and lots of it.  A&E in RUH at 1am in the morning, 5 stitches etc.  Not good.

My wife reckons I shouldn't be allowed around sharp objects!

M

WALNUT

Iv  turned 2 cars over, wrote another off on M way at high speed several bumps and crashes, wrote another off on Bristol ring road, and up to now never had a scrach. So obviously its more dangerous to build a car than drive one.

Tony

paintman

Think you better get at least a roll bar for your kit car with that history Tony!!  If you turn that over, we won't be calling you Wallnut we'll be calling you No-nut!  ;D ;D

Tony

foggy

Don't know if this counts- doing a job in my garage on my motor bike, Thought it was a bit draughty, shut the door,but left my finger in the way,one instant amputation! did'nt hurt that much,but there was plenty of claret over the place!     Off to the B.R.I where they amputated a bit more, but it was only the top bit, they pulled the skin up and sewed it across the top. So it don't look too bad, except the top of the finger is now flat across the top instead of being round. Its a sod to pick your nose with it!

YellaBelly

Remind me not to ask for a lift with you Tony :o

;) :)

Grin-a-lot

Not quite up to the standards here but I did get a blood blister trying to remove a circlip using 2 screws and a pair of pliers.

It was quite big if that helps...

Krazyken

An early experience at school in the late seventies before the days of (any) Health & Safety taught me never to get my hands dirty or attempt DIY again.

In a metalwork lesson I was making a bearing pully from scratch because our teacher just knew that such a tool would be invaluable for the rest of our adult life.  We heated the round metal bar red hot in the furnace (can you imagine that now?) then one 14 year old pupil held the bar over the anvil while the other 14 year old (me) hit it as hard as I could with a ball hammer because the sledge hammer had be broken by the 6th formers.  As I was not making much impression due to a lack of strength and an inadequate hammer I decided to improvise by swinging the hammer as hard as I could from behind my head.  Needless to say accuracy suffered with this technique so I missed the intended red hot object and hit the cast iron anvil body full on, this bounced the ball end of the hammer directly into the middle of my forehead.  A night in hospital followed, being woken every 2 hours with a light being shined in my eyes to check my pupils were still responding.  A lump the size of an egg developed rapidly in the middle of my forehead which took around 2 weeks to go down.

Undettered I finished the pully got an O Level in Metalwork and despite my teachers confidence never used the pulley - EVER!  Although it does help to explain why I'm so f*cked up