Forgot your password?

Bargain Car camera for trackdays/blats etc - Now With Footage

Started by Grin-a-lot, 06, January, 2011, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

I've just ordered one of these (inc 8GB memory card) for £20:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110355

There's a video showing the quality here:

I reckon that for £20 its worth a go, it seems to get good reviews on blatchat and some mountain bike forums that I frequent.  When I get the time/weather/camera i'll post a little video.

With all this recent talk of trackdays and things, I thought some others might be interested in recording their trackdays/runouts etc.

Krazyken

I have been thinking of getting something like this to record my on track antics so please let me know how you get on with it.

Dixie

I have just brought a cam for the cobra.  Does anyone know where I can get a clamp to attach it to the roll bar which is approx 50mm diameter?

thanks Mark

'Mendip Wurzel'

I would also be interested to see the results. The example video looks very good quality

paintman

I was told you get a lot of wind noise on the cheaper recorders......anyone no from experience?

Daley Down Under

Quote from: Dixie on 06, January, 2011, 10:00:58 PM
I have just brought a cam for the cobra.  Does anyone know where I can get a clamp to attach it to the roll bar which is approx 50mm diameter?

thanks Mark

Mark - I used an exhaust clamp and a plate bolted on the top which takes the bullet cam.  Works a treat and looks semi-pro at a fraction of the price of pro clamps.

Adrian

Denzle

Very interested.   Can this be charged from the car 12v and the house 240v   :)

Grin-a-lot

The blurb at the bottom says it comes with a 12v car charger and I assume the USB cable it comes with can be plugged into a domestic socket through an adapter like an iPod.

I expect the sound to be a bit cack given the seemingly good quality of the video but that doesn't bother me really, I'll put some music over the top so it looks dead professional; innit...

'The Gaffer'

Dosent look bad spec for the price, but I expect the audio will be crap.

Denzle

Just ordered mine with an 8GB.   Very good for just £20.  ;D

I will be useing mine inside on the screen just in the possibility of any road accident etc for insurance claims for myself or others it may pick up.   8)

It doesnt have to be perfect as long as it does the job and at £20...well...nothing lost.   ;)

Now the idiots on the road better look out.  The proof will be in the video.   Nice one.   ;D

Thanks for the info. Denzle.   :-*

peetee

I'm interested in a cheap video camera for both track days and cycling. Guys that have bought one, can you post your views on this one please and if it's OK I'll probably get one. Seem great value? Thanks for the info, Pete

'The Gaffer'

I bought one of these - A Kodak Zi8  http://shop.kodak.co.uk/store/ekconseu/en_GB/pd/Zi8_Pocket_Video_Camera/productID.147430700

Although the cheap cameras will give you a good idea of the day, you cant view to see whats just recorded or if the cam is set up right. Also sound is terrible at high speed and frame rate quality is adequate but not exceptional. Although I havent tried my new cam yet on the car I'm hopeing for some good HD results along with stereo recording from an adjustable level external mic and a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.

Its probably not the most aerodynamic cam but the quality during a walk round was pretty impressive.

It cost about £125 so I hope its worth it. Like the exhaust clamp mounting idea Adrian :)

Denzle

Quote from: peetee on 07, January, 2011, 09:35:55 PM
I'm interested in a cheap video camera for both track days and cycling. Guys that have bought one, can you post your views on this one please and if it's OK I'll probably get one. Seem great value? Thanks for the info, Pete

Hi Pete,

Grin-a-lot   gave us a running test to show what its like.  :-*
To me thats enough to say yes to a purchase when its only £13-£20. 

It states, perfect for cycles as well and I would imagine without any high wind behind the screen of the car or on a pushbike this would be perfect.   ;)

paintman

If you record through the windscreen don't you get distortion and ghosting??

Furore Phil

To improve the audio, try putting a bit of thin cloth across the mic hole. The idea is to take away the direct wind blast, but not the noise. TV crews use this all the time, you must have seen the sponge coverd boom mics, or those coverd with long fur for windy weather ?

Denzle

Quote from: paintman on 09, January, 2011, 05:56:05 PM

Not if you get the lense as close to the screen as possible.  ;)

Denzle

Quote from: paintman on 09, January, 2011, 05:56:05 PM
[/quot

Got mine today 14th Jan will let you know when tried.
                                          Denzle.   ;)

Grin-a-lot

I've been away on holiday but got back today to find the camera on my doorstep.  Will set about using it and posting a video this week; I need to translate the almost entirely unintelligible instructions first!

Denzle

The instructions are a bit confusing but not too bad.

I had to scan mine first then put them on the PC to print off larger as I could hardly read the small intruction book.     Made up a decent size book.    ;D

Got the hang of it now but cant work out how to change the time and date.   I dont understand what they say.

Im quite happy with it.  I took it outside in the strong wind and filmed the road and houses.  Remarkable results for the money with good clear pics.

Tomorrow will be out in the camper to give it a road run.  8)

Keep you informed.      Denzle   ;)

paintman

Good luck.....be interested in the results.

An open top car will be the ultimate test thou......try sticking it out the window when your going down the road and see what happens maybe. ::)

Grin-a-lot

Right well here are the results (and the caveats):

The camera was handheld throughout so I can't pass judgment on the strength of the mounts that it comes with (1 window/dash sucker and one bar mount).

It also comes with a USB cable and a 12v in car charger.

The video I link to was done within the car and also out the window, if you have audio it's pretty apparent.  If not then you're not missing much, the dull undertones of a Citroen Picasso and a lot of wind noise.

Top speed peaked at 42mph while the camera was outside the car.

The results:

I reckon that quality is as good as (if not a bit better than I was expecting).  Audio is poor but that doesn't bother me.  The date stamp is clearly wrong but I think I saw some advice on t'interweb on how to fix that so I shall investigate.  According to some reviews it misses a couple of seconds every 5mins while it does something clever, again, i'm not to worried but those of you that prefer more detailed filming might find this to be pain in the buttocks.

When the weather is drier (i've polished me car you see) i'll nip out for a speedier run and see how the frame rate and audio copes with the Westfield hurtling down the local ringroad.

The first track day i'm planning on doing is Llandow but if anyone wants to borrow it before that (I think Castle Combe is coming up soon) then i'm happy to loan it out for a few laps as well.  If the weather is nice i'll be at Castle Combe as a spectator anyway.

Daley Down Under

That's an impressive result.  Picture quality is as good as my £160 job and footage is taken on my regular 20 mile cycle route.

Adrian

'Mendip Wurzel'

Very impressive video.

The thing I like about them is they are so small and you can almost leave it attached full time without it getting in the way.... and if anybody takes it who cares if it only costs £20 (actually now only £13.99 including delivery).

paintman

Denzle

Yes £13.99....... but with an 8gb card they are £19.99  well worth the extra for that.   ;)  inc delivery.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I've just purchased one.... if nothing else it will make my dash area look more techy & impressive..... or tacky.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 17, January, 2011, 05:31:01 PM
I've just purchased one.... if nothing else it will make my dash area look more techy & impressive..... or tacky.

Most cams I've see, at least on track days, are mounted to the roll bar so you get to see the driver, dash and track.

paintman

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 17, January, 2011, 07:13:40 PM
Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 17, January, 2011, 05:31:01 PM

Most cams I've see, at least on track days, are mounted to the roll bar so you get to see the driver, dash and track.

That's what I would like to do but I think the noise would be unacceptable with this one unfortunately. ::)

peetee

Good enough for me, just ordered one. Thanks for the advice and impartial reviews to all those concerned. Pete

Denzle

Was going out in the falcon today with the ragtop off to try out the camera.   But then found the suction bracket would not line the camera with the road.   :(

Its OK on modern cars with sloping windscreens....as for kits with a more upright windscreen some alteration is needed to the holding bracket to pick the camera up to face the road.    ::)

I hand held the camera for a short time with no wind noise behind the screen....ragtop off.   
The sun was shining from an angle into the lense which caused very little flare.....impressive..   ;)

Excellent results.....Well pleased with it for £20    ;D

Hairy Santa

looked like a bit of a bargain so ordered one early last week
when I saw the video playback this week of our members thought - that really is good for £20 - must get another one to point backwards
just want to get Dave H's expression when I scream past him up at the combe - he he

8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :( :o 8) ??? ::)

'The Gaffer'

We should have done a group buy ;)

Any bargains you see, post up first, we may be able to negotiate a club discount.

Can't wait to see the showdown Pete, are you doing the combe day in April?

Grin-a-lot

Crikey, with this many cameras around there'll be no hiding the truth.  Big brother is watching...

Hairy Santa

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, January, 2011, 11:53:54 PM

Any bargains you see, post up first, we may be able to negotiate a club discount.

I'm hoping so Colin and I have been working steadily on the Dax engine (mainly Colin ) and have now got it to the stage of setting it up using the computer whilst driving on the road, but the weather has been somewhat unkind for a while now, but we will get there  ;) 

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 20, January, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
Crikey, with this many cameras around there'll be no hiding the truth.  Big brother is watching...

:))  :))

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 20, January, 2011, 08:32:06 PM
I'm hoping so Colin and I have been working steadily on the Dax engine (mainly Colin ) and have now got it to the stage of setting it up using the computer whilst driving on the road, but the weather has been somewhat unkind for a while now, but we will get there  ;) 

Good work, get some pics up. Be good if you can do combe on the 2nd April just £129 and only 6 cars out at a time.

I have just asked for a place at Combe. If you would like to partake please contact Andy Moss the Chairman of BPMC at andy@mossdata.co.uk

'Mendip Wurzel'

Sounds complicated Pete, what is the computer setting up.... way beyond me.

David H

:P :P :P :P :o :o ;D :D ;) ;)

and

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

new diff is going in..... 'might' help me not run out of revs but i'm quite unlikely to catch the black missile!!! should be fun trying though.

Basically I might as well be in reverse!

Hairy Santa

Quote from: David H on 20, January, 2011, 10:47:11 PM
:P :P :P :P :o :o ;D :D ;) ;)

and

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

new diff is going in..... 'might' help me not run out of revs but i'm quite unlikely to catch the black missile!!! should be fun trying though.

Basically I might as well be in reverse!

Dave its all down to driving skill and as you know I'm crap so I recon you are still gonna thrash me, but if I have my 17 yr old grandson Antony with me then you really will have some competition  - he surprized me at Landow driving the Toniq  ;)
but you mentioned reverse - and as you know I have that quaife reverse box so we could give it a try and see if it does go as fast in reverse as in forward - could be a laugh

how much have you altered your diff ratio ?

Hairy Santa

Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 20, January, 2011, 10:23:01 PM

Sounds complicated Pete, what is the computer setting up.... way beyond me.

all sorts of things on the engine  - like the injectors are twice the size they should be so the amount of fuel has to really be cut back quite a lot but not to much otherwise you end up with a weak mixture  - it is a big learning curve for sure

perhaps Colin (YZFmini) or Dave h will spot this and fill the blanks in a bit better than me  - I just like using spanners and big hammers  he he

YZFMINI

I think we need to start a new topic on the dax with what we have done to it...

Yzfmini