Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Bargain Car camera for trackdays/blats etc - Now With Footage

Started by Grin-a-lot, 06, January, 2011, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YZFMINI on 21, January, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
I think we need to start a new topic on the dax with what we have done to it...

Yzfmini

Fire away, cant wait to see whats been going on :)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Hairy Santa

Just had the second camera arrive but the push clip to release it is broken
I have just sent them a message so see what happens

Krazyken

Been following this thread with interest but a trip to John Lewis at The Mall today resulted in me buying a Panasonic Camcorder with a 2 year warranty for £130.  Now just need to wait for the SD Card to arrive at less than half price through Amazon.  Does anyone know the best place to buy a standard camcorder mount from for recording at track day?

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Krazyken on 22, January, 2011, 10:11:28 PM
Been following this thread with interest but a trip to John Lewis at The Mall today resulted in me buying a Panasonic Camcorder with a 2 year warranty for £130.  Now just need to wait for the SD Card to arrive at less than half price through Amazon.  Does anyone know the best place to buy a standard camcorder mount from for recording at track day?

Does it have AV in, as I have been looking for something like that

Krazyken

Pete, yes it does have AV and a USB port and a 78x optical zoom.  The model no. is the Panasonic SDR-S50, I Googled the reviews after I bought it and discovered that it was launched about a year ago at a price of £250.  Normal John Lewis price now is £160 but they had it on special offer at £130 yesterday and I bought the last one.  Having said that you can buy this model for £130 from an online retailer with a 12 month warranty.

Just google the model no. and read the reviews, one site has a very good 5 minute video review which was very useful.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Krazyken on 23, January, 2011, 12:24:24 PM
Pete, yes it does have AV and a USB port and a 78x optical zoom.  The model no. is the Panasonic SDR-S50, I Googled the reviews after I bought it and discovered that it was launched about a year ago at a price of £250.  Normal John Lewis price now is £160 but they had it on special offer at £130 yesterday and I bought the last one.  Having said that you can buy this model for £130 from an online retailer with a 12 month warranty.

Just google the model no. and read the reviews, one site has a very good 5 minute video review which was very useful.

Thanks mate, will have a shifty at it

robp

I've got one of those cheap cameras and have been very pleased with it.

Anyone fancy forking out a few more quid then you might fancy one of these little unit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1080P-HD-Car-DVR-GPS-Logger-G-Sensor-Data-Protection-/260735463529?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3cb50b7069
Full 1080P HD through a wide angle, fish-eye lens.  Built in GPS records vehicle speed, time & date.  Clever little thing comes with a built in laser pointer so you get it lined up correctly.  Also has a remote control.  I want! ;D

Downside? Hong Kong :(

Grin-a-lot

Here's a video (with audio) showing my car accelerating from a standing start so that I could see how the audio fares with speed:

The camera is mounted to the top roll bar and its clear that above about 20mph sound is pretty much rubbish.

The rattllng at the start is something in the boot and nothing serious!

robp

Fairly fed up with this camera.  Bought one.  Worked fine for a week or so and happy with video quality and ease of use.  Then, when recording, it stopped and blue light stayed on.  Otherwise dead.  Popped another memory card in and all was OK.  Week later same thing has happened again.  Popped both memory cards in another device and that doesn't like it either.

OK, it's only £13.  You pays ya money......   :(

Hairy Santa

Quote from: robp on 09, March, 2011, 09:01:55 PM
Fairly fed up with this camera.  Bought one.  Worked fine for a week or so and happy with video quality and ease of use.  Then, when recording, it stopped and blue light stayed on.  Otherwise dead.  Popped another memory card in and all was OK.  Week later same thing has happened again.  Popped both memory cards in another device and that doesn't like it either.

OK, it's only £13.  You pays ya money......   :(

you have PM

'Mendip Wurzel'

Just out of interest this is what I did to my camera mount as it was hitting the windscreen. I attach it to the stainless steel body panel behind the windscreen mounted vertically as shown, so less wind noise.

Mounting post cut in half and re-fixed with insulation tape and cable ties. This sounds like a bodge but it actually looks okay.

Denzle

I dont want to put the damper on your idea Mendip, but I would have super-glued the two halves of the shaft as they have flat sides, and then if need be, put on the cable ties...

The reason being, your way may look ok for the time being, but later when the sun has been on it for a while the tape will start getting sticky every time you handle it and looking a mess..... :'(

Hope you dont mind me saying that, just another idea.

Denzle.... ;)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Denzle on 19, March, 2011, 09:57:00 AM
I dont want to put the damper on your idea Mendip, but I would have super-glued the two halves of the shaft as they have flat sides, and then if need be, put on the cable ties...

The reason being, your way may look ok for the time being, but later when the sun has been on it for a while the tape will start getting sticky every time you handle it and looking a mess..... :'(

Hope you dont mind me saying that, just another idea.

Denzle.... ;)

Good point Denzle, I think you are right..

I'm very pleased with my little camera in general and I leave in in place most of the time. They are so cheap it doesn't matter if it gets stollen

stupott901

Yeah for the price it's a great bit if kit the footage from keevil was great apart from the sound but it was fitted to the roll bar