News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Ooops!

Started by alastair, 14, March, 2011, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alastair

Oops, I may have blown the gearbox today. Looks like I'm going to have to take the engine out and strip it down again.  :(

On the bright side though... It was nice to see everyone who went to the club meet last night!

Hairy Santa

Right bummer mate

Hope its something quick and  simple

Denzle

I feel sorry for you mate...

What a lot of work just to get the box off.  Then the work on the box as well... :'(.

There again what else would you be doing...good luck.. ;)

Sorry I couldnt get to the club meet, but Im feeling a little better now.  getting rid of this flue slowly....

alastair

Cheers guys. Im hoping its the box and not something more expensive. I hope its simple too pete!

At least it will keep me out of trouble for a while.

Daley Down Under

Alistair,

Sorry to hear the news.  Keep us up to date as investigations progress

paintman

Hard luck mate.....hang in there!! ;) ;)

Tony

'The Gaffer'

Really sorry to hear of your problems Alastair, hope it's nothing tooooo serious. Still might see you at Llandow?

alastair

I'm hoping to be there phill. I'm gona hopefully get the engine pulled apart on the weekend to see what damage has been done. If its not too bad then I'll be ringing them a coughing up my pennies to come along. :D

David H

What a ball ache.

Thrash it on track.... no problems

Pootle down the road and crunch, there goes the box.

Sods law.

Good luck with the fix

alastair

Hi guys,

Looks like I have found the problem with the mini.

Check out these pics:

I found this gear tooth attched to the magnet on the sump plug when I drained the oil.

Notice anything yet?

A perfect example of how the teeth should and should not look on the lay gears

About 1/3 of the teeth missing  :o

And to think I was on the road at the time and not screaming the nuts off it on the track. Oh well....

Denzle

Maybe them teeth were just hanging in there until you went on the road.  Then finaly give way.

Life is a b**** at times, but like I said..."What else would you be doing", that wasnt satisfying and relaxing like mucking around with a car gearbox and having to put the whole lot back together and back in the car....  I can only think of one thing.
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex
....... ;D...... ;D...... ;D    Dirty old Denzle.... ;)

Quarrycars

I found this gear tooth attched to the magnet on the sump plug when I drained the oil.
Boy that brings back memories, takeing out the drain plug and finding teeth or bearing cages stuck to the magnet. :(
Can you still get sraight cut gears?

alastair

Loving the reply Denzle!

You can almost anything you want for the mini. Getting straight cuts shouldnt be an issue and what better excuse to get some than this eh?

'The Gaffer'

Wow, nasty. Any idea what caused that?

David H

Wow. Shredded. Fair play there!

You have to get straight cut now. And some ear defenders!

YZFMINI

ouch!!!!!!
says it all.

Hairy Santa

Dont do things by half do you, perhaps you should fit some rubber ones  ;)

well I have a spare first motion shaft  -(bit rusty but OK) so all you need now is a layshaft

hope it all goes well, make sure no bits have found there way down into the final drive housing  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shout if you need anything

alastair

Cheers Pete, but I think I'll get a new set of straight cuts. I have a good excuse now!

I've been working on a spare subframe to make it lighter and stonger and decided that while the engine and box are out that i'd swap the subframes over. I finished the cutting and welding yesterday so all that is needed now is a decent clean and a powder coat.

alastair

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, March, 2011, 08:10:05 PM
Wow, nasty. Any idea what caused that?

I have absouloutly no idea given that they are constantly meshed together. Investigations will be needed!

Bulldog Bri

Wow, thats some work done there on that subframe. Any idea how much weight you've saved? could weigh this one then the old one when you take it out.  :P

8)

alastair

Quote from: bulldog bri on 21, March, 2011, 08:48:38 AM
Wow, thats some work done there on that subframe. Any idea how much weight you've saved? could weigh this one then the old one when you take it out.  :P

8)
I did originally weigh it but have forgotten what it was. It is now around 15.8kg with bump stops. I'll weigh the other when its out for sure.

alastair

Finally, the new straight cuts have been fitted and the block is fitted to the gearbox.
Just waiting on the subframe to come back from powder coating then I can put it all back together.

'The Gaffer'

Sweet, well done :)

Should sound the business.

Hairy Santa

looks brill
Just dont forget the ear plugs ;)

Daley Down Under

Al,

Great job - box will sound the business

Krazyken

All looking good, just need to get it out on track!  ;D

stupott901

so you will be back on the road soon bet you cant wait

David H

quality. nothing like an A series with a straight cut for noise. nice job.

Denzle

Now see what you have done..........

All this great banter & sympathy between us lads, all over your broken gearbox......

Like I said...What else would we all be doing........

Nice to see a bad job come good again.... ;D

alastair

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update. The new subframe is in and the engine is back together and sat whereit should be. All that is left for me to do is bleed the brakes and the mini will once again be on the road. (the question is....for how long?)

I would add some pics to this post but I can't seem to on this 'black' version of the forum  :(

Daley Down Under

Well done Alastair - you aiming for Stoneleigh then?

'The Gaffer'

Sorted, bet that was a bit of a job you hadn't bargained for.

alastair

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 28, April, 2011, 07:12:56 PM
Well done Alastair - you aiming for Stoneleigh then?

I'm not unfortunately as I didn't realise it was happening until you said and I've already made plans. However, the mini is running!

Here are some of the pics of the subframe which I'vce only just managed to get loaded.

I weighed the new one and the old one, and even though the new one looks like it swiss cheese it has only saved me approx 300grams  :(. I think that has something to do with all the seam welds and corner strengthening plates I added. Nevermind, at least it looks clean and pretty now.

Note: these pics were taken before I got the mini running. Sad to say, but it doesn't run on air shown in the 2nd image

'The Gaffer'

Wow, you have been busy 8)

alastair

Cheers Phil,

Forgot to ask how your back is now mate. Hope its fixed now!

alastair

Ok, the mini is up and running. However, the new subframe caused the suspension to be out somewhat. So I went to Track Developments yesterday where Dave worked wonders on the car. Lowering it and setting the corner weights and chaecking the castor angles. Who would have though twisting a few nuts and bolts could make such a difference in the handling.
The handling was never great, it liked to follow the bumps in th road and had a tonne of torque steer, and I put this down to the fact that I have the dampers set quite firm. But now it handles like a dream. It was well worth the trip to Track Deveolpments. Roll on LLandow!!

Daley Down Under

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours at Llandow

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Nice to hear mate, oh, and the back is fine now - touch wood :)

Krazyken

Dave Gallop certainly knows his stuff both in theory and practice.

You might end up like me and have a set up every year to make sure that the handling is always at its best.