News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Thinking of starting a build HELP!!

Started by Seb, 05, October, 2013, 07:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seb

Hi I am looking to start a build this winter so far ive purchased the book build your own sports car by chris gibbs is this the right step so far. I am also looking for any scrap steel as I have limited funds which also brings me to where to build sorry for the long message just wanted to get it out there any info is appriciated thanks.

Seb

Hi to you all please see my other thread may be posting here alot  :D

Moleman

Hi & welcome.
What are you planning to build?  :)

Sumov8

Welcome to what is probable the best Kit Car club around, you will need a garage if you are building  from scratch, I built best part of mine on the drive and its a pain when cold and wet!  Best of luck, also dont by a scrap car for parts as its a real issue getting rid of the shell, I cut up a Granada Scorpio shell with a grinder, because the scarp yards would not come out to pick it up!! ;)

fullpint

Welcome along Seb.. If you are after a project Bri has one? Selling his Merlin.. Check it out in the for sale section..

Seb

Hi thanks for the welcome. Well first things first I have bought the haynes build your own sports car is this worth following step by step as ive never built one before. P.s any free steel welcome  ;D.

Seb

Thanks for the info fullpint but its more of a mk indy type of shape im looking to build the one im following is the chris gibbs type your help is still very welcome im sure theres going to be many more post ie what engine etc to use hope you all dont mind never built one before but am determined to proceed and see you at the meets when im done .

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warn welcome to our club. You are very brave taking in a scratch build. Keep us posted with some pics.

Seb

Hi thankyou and not what I wanted to hear ;D never the less onwards what else would you suggest out of curiosity.

Bulldog Bri

Welcome to the club Seb, I to have been building a Locost and Yellabelly has his on the road. So it can be done. :D I have the Haynes book as well but mine was built from the earlier book. ::)

Have a good read of the IVA manual before you start and whilst building to avoid making silly errors that you'll then have to re-do.

Good luck with it. You'll get loads of help here in this club.  ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Seb on 05, October, 2013, 09:58:17 PM
Hi thankyou and not what I wanted to hear ;D never the less onwards what else would you suggest out of curiosity.

Anyone here would tell you I'm not a builder so I am a little biased. Personally I would buy pre built with IVA with registration and just enjoy driving with just a tinker now and then. Others would disagree saying it's all about the build. Each to their own I guess.

Seb

Fair enough but I have considered the option you suggested but as money is tight I cant afford to fork out that much money up front so a build means I can in effect pay as I go.

Seb

Thats good to hear that it can achived  ;D but I am looking forward to it cant wait just need somewere to build it and some metal how did you get your metal if you dont mind me asking and how much thankyou for your help and anyone elses  :D

'The Gaffer'

Don't get me wrong, I admire what you are trying to do and wish you all the best with your project. If you have tons of patience and commitment you will be just fine.. go for it!!!!!!!

fullpint

You are welcome to look over my Mk for any ideas or help.. Sorry no free steel tho  ;D

Seb

Thanks very much to you both
Ah there lies my first hurdle :( I supose best bet would be to ask around at steel stockholders and see what there chucking out as I know it costs for them to have it removed  ;D

peterw

I think I would agree with the Gaffer here after building mine, Yes building is 75% of the fun but it is a lot easier to buy already built with IVA etc + would save you £600  for testing and reg etc, then you can dismantle and rebuild to your own spec after driving it for a while.

Seb

You see the thing is peterw I dont have that sort of money up front im working from the bottom up no pun intended  so it a sort of pay as u build type of thing. :D thanks for the info though all is welcome.

SPAXIMUS

Welcome seb.
Right the first thing to establish is what is your skill set and what sort of budget? You can do things cheap but they take a lot longer to complete.

If you have good welding skills and a place to build it then away you go but you need a good base and the chances of getting steel that will do the job for free is not realistic.

The best plan is to save up and buy a pre cut chassis kit off Ebay, I would struggle to buy the steel for what they do a kit for so that is where I would start from.

Without knowing your financial situation it is hard to offer dierection but you might find good value in an unfinshed project where all the bits are there just needing assembling.

Realistically to build even the most basic 7 type car and get it through IVA you are looking at £5k and you can buy on the road ones for less if you are willing to save and wait.

If you give more details I can offer more advice having built several cars from kits over the years.

Bulldog Bri

I got my steel lengths from 'Fred R Powell' all for around £100. Though exact £'s would be hard to say as I did start out buying to make 2 cars 1 with a mate  ???

Again as Fullpint said your more than welcome to look over my 7 and through the massive amount of pics taken through out the build. :P

Don't worry to much about your skill set, I found it a great learning curve, teaching myself as I went along. ;)

I'm in the Kingswood area of Bristol

8)

Seb

Hi thankyou for your info budget is great but I would agree that im am going to try and find one with chassis alreafy done and go from there thanks for all your info shall keep you posted thanks.

Seb

Thanks for the info bulldog bri im a qualified mechanic by trade and handy with a welder so all helps but this is defently what im interested in it may pay to come along to a meet with you guys have a chat and a look if poss thanks again.

'The Gaffer'

Some good advice above but one thing to add - A build like this can sometimes take years. You just have to think, are you the sort of guy that will see it through regardless of the many problems you will come across. Many a kit car build has been started with the best intentions and left to rot because of lack of progress and lack of interest.

These cast-offs could work in your favour though as you will quite often see un-finished projects for sale which could save you time and money, more often than not people want them out of the way sometimes for not much money at all.

You being a mechanic should be able to spot the good ones from the bad ones, and believe me there are some bad ones out there.

Hope you like your new avatar ;)

Seb

Hi ho hi ho off on the hunt I go its true what your saying I think im going to take your advise the gaffer seems to be a sensible idea that would work for me and yes loving the avatar very suited  ;D. So now I guess my post will be any unfinished projects give me a shout   8). Will keep you all posted with pics etc if I find anything .

bluehornetrider

A lot of people are finding that they can pick up a MK1 MX-5 for less than a grand with  a tatty body even accident damaged from a scrap yard, strip the body but keep all the running gear including the loom and dials and buy a kit that sits over the top.  You now have a seven type car or full bodied car that is IVA exempt and parts are cheap as and easy to source, if you sell off all your unwanted parts you could well be in profit.  Hope I haven't confused the issue too much.

Seb

Thanks bluehornetrider do you have any info on these kits like website or pics as this maybe worth a thought thanks for your info much appreciated.

Seb

Is that mx5 based one just cut of the body from the chassis keep the chassis with like you said engine loom dials etc  thanks .

SPAXIMUS

With the MX5 they have a spine Chassis that you can undo the body from. They do still have to go through IVA as the body counts as part of the chassis on them.
On Ebay there is a company called Talon motorsport who do a built chassis to use everything else off the MX5 for £650 which would be a great way to go for a budget build. As said you can pick up any amount of MX5 doners for well under £500 if you shop around. If you chose well you can use the alloy wheels seats etc as well.

But with the skill set you have there is no reason why you cannot build a chassis your self, but don't forget to factor in the cost of wood to make your building base etc.

bluehornetrider

www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet
www.greatbritishsportscars.co.uk/cars/zero-mazda/‎
www.amxastonish.co.uk
http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b468/TributeAutomotive/mk2and1front2.jpg
kitcarzone.co.uk › Makes & Models › RoadRunner Racing
tributeautomotive.com
aspirekitcars.co.uk
mevexocet.wordpress.com
www.mevx5.co.uk
www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk
www.mnrltd.co.uk/index2.html

I was looking at an MNR vortx myself as you get a really quality product but it does add up.

Seb

Thanks for the websites great help your right it does add up :( think I better get saving .

Iancider

Welcome Seb

It's a good community isn't it and you have hit on a rich seam with your questions.  You are admired for your brave entry into this adventure. 

A couple of members have suggested buying second-hand and restoring and even though you are an a low budget you might be surprised what you can get - especially now.  Sadly there are a lot of abandond projects out there and many at chassis only.  I have seeen plenty of Haynes chassis that only get that far.  If you do buy second-hand just make sure parts can still be obtained - kit car companies don't seem to last long!  I too think the MX5 based cars are a good option - over 300,000 MX5's sold so far - there is a lot of material out there and very cheap too.  The great thing about a single donor vehicle is that you can harvest parts worth much more than you paid and sell the spare items at a profit on ebay.  I have read many builders who have part financed their cars from the profits on the resale.  Typically buy an MX5 for £500-800 gain parts that would cost say £1500 by any other way and sell left-overs for about £500.  Or invest £500 to save £700 and make £500 profit on top. That is £700 off the cost of your build by investing your time. You need to be a skilled mechanic to do it but you are!  Happy to help if I can. Ian

Seb

Hi ian thanks for the info an vote of confidence I really want to build one just seems like everything is against me  :o I guess the only real way of succeeding seems to be save up abit and buy  one that someone has abandoned and go from there. The mx5s are ok but its more or the 7 type of look I would like but hey beggers cant be choosers can they  :D.

Iancider

No problem Seb

There are MX5 based 7's - see links and the bottom link is a fairly typical unfinished project and many a Haynes special has been MX5 engined.  While you are saving - keep browsing - amazing bargains do appear and there are loads of cheapies out there seeking restoration.  Well worth a look at the Exeter kit car show at the end of October too.  Good luck, Ian

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=847865
http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/donorkit.html
http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/
http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/classifieds.html see Caterham copy (Green)