News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

THINGS THAT WORK 2

Started by Iancider, 22, January, 2014, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

Good discovery,

So when its right it is plucked and when it's wrong its... plucked  ;D

Iancider

'The Gaffer'

Iancider

This is close to an advert but I like this company: the Really Useful Box Company.

This is a company that has really thought about storage but rarely do you see the whole range in the shops and it is quite cheap to shop directly with them.

They have really thought about what they do:  Boxes that have strong clip on lids, firm bases that don't split, plastics that don't split on cold days, boxes that stack in sets, full height half height etc and they do the lock and lock kitchen range that are the best ever sealed boxes ever produced. Take a look at the "view all products" page and see what I mean.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk

Iancider

Its been a while since I posted here - maybe not a lot has worked for a while!

Inspired by the Biblical storm on Sunday.  My roof is pretty good and survives even torrential rain - even the Lake district for a week last year but it does have a small weakness.  If rain is really heavy or if water ponds on the roof overnight - it will start to drip through the stitching.  It aims directly for my glasses or groin and can be pretty distracting.  Overnight there would often be a puddle in each seat.

SOLUTION and it is a doddle.  Simoniz - Back to Black tyre spray.  It is a clear silicone wax but thin enough to penetrate the stitching - NO MORE LEAKS.  AND it makes the rood jet black again AND if you use it on the clear sidescreens it makes water droplets bead and they don't mist up.  One £5 aerosol does at least 3 applications. 

Ian

Hairy Santa

Nice one Ian

be even better if I had a roof to try it on  ;D

Iancider

Wonky mirrors,

From new I have had a problem with my Westfield mirrors.  With vibration they vibrate out of position and it is a real bummer to get out of the car and adjust them BUT here are TWO - yes two tips that have worked for me.

Setting the mirror position on your own.  Stand behind the car with you eyes in the location you want to see reflected in the mirror.  In the mirror you should then be looking directly at where you eyes would be when sat in the seat - about a foot forward of your headrest.  Dance either side of that position to judge how much you would be moving your head to see that view.  Simples! 

Next stopping them moving so much - answer Self Amalgamating tape [Toolstation] around the ball joint.  If you haven't seen this stuff it is fantastic.  When you stretch it to about 4 times its length and bind one layer on another if bonds to itself and it is like putting a very tight rubber sleeve around the stem.  It will perish after about a year but at under £3 per roll who cares?  Black on Black it is hard to detect. 

Ian

Gary RH7

That tape is really good stuff.
We use it all the time to weatherproof cable connections. When you get the amount on you need just snap it off and press the end onto the bit you just put on. It takes a good sharp knife to cut it off because you wont be able to peel it back off like sellotape.

Iancider

DODGY HEADLAMP LENSES CAN BE POLISHED!

Today I saved £154 in 35 minutes.  Wifey's car had gained considerable "bloom" on her headlamp lenses - they looked shot and were an MoT advisory.  Traditionally I would have just replaced them but the cost was high.  I took a look on the internet and found they could be cleaned but I managed to simplify the technique and got them to as new condition very quickly.

Here's is what they looked like when I started!

Here one I prepared earlier - see the difference!

No need to remove them - just masking tape over the paintwork to protect it.

Use a detail sander loaded with 240 grit and sand all over until it is evenly matt and opaque - don't panic - it works!  Do this wet to avoid melting the surface.

Wash off and then wet paper at 600 grit all over for three minutes or so - covering every part with at least ten strokes.  It should look matt and no 240 grit scratches should show.

Repeat exactly with 1200 grit paper wet - it looks exactly the same so no extra photo for that but when finished the lens will look pretty clear but not shiny.
Next apply paint cutting/polishing compound or T-Cut Metallic compound - probably Autosol Chrome would work too

Now buff it WET! Do not allow the buff to run dry or it will melt the lens.  It can be done by hand but it would be 20 minutes hard work.

And finished in under 40 minutes for two.  Just buff the lenses twice per year by hand with Hi-Cut paste to keep the bloom away.

Ian

sanzomat

I did something very similar to my GTM badges on the front and back of the Spyder. These had both gone very dull and cloudy and a bit yellow. I gave them a good rub with some paint rubbing compound and then T Cut and then a polish with some wax. All the bloom gone and shiny and new again. The bloom wasn't severe enough to need any sanding but I can see how this would do the trick on any UV damaged plastic as it is likely that the damage will be in the top surface. Clearly there is a limit to how often this can be done before the plastic gets thin and it may well be getting brittle with age too.

I wonder if there is a way to prevent it from happening by blocking the UV. Rub in some factor 50?

Facial Hair Optional

Or you can buy headlamp polish paste on ebay. Cheap as chips and can be used by hand thought takes a bit longer than if you use a power tool obviously. I did mine years ago and it works a treat.

paintman

Whitening toothpaste works as well but don't bother with the toothbrush!! ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Anyone know the best way and best stuff to use to polish ali panels please?

Have tested a small bit with Autosol, results are ok but not brill. Did it by hand though so maybe I need a machine?

Iancider

QuoteDid it by hand though so maybe I need a machine?

As the actress said to the bishop.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, August, 2015, 07:50:24 PM
Anyone know the best way and best stuff to use to polish ali panels please?

Have tested a small bit with Autosol, results are ok but not brill. Did it by hand though so maybe I need a machine?

When I had my Riot it was covered with aluminium plates. Found the only way to keep on top of it was regular hand buffing with Solvol Autosol. Once it gets to bad the level of work is ten-fold to get it back looking good. I did have some pretty good biceps back then!!

Iancider

Sulphites in the atmosphere produce a greyish patina and white overgrowth on aluminium.  It is a very reactive metal and it oxidises immediately.  Any polish that produce a black residue will result in a darkening of the clear oxide - so not so good. 

Paint rubbing compounds are good especially with a buff.  The white ones are best.  They work quicker if you add a little weak acid such as Vinegar or Lemon juice.  Use coarse or medium first and then follow with fine (swirls removing paste).  T-cut metalic is a reasonable substitute but it does need some acid to stop it blackening. 

If the surface is really poor you can rub down with a fine scotchbrite (Toolstation) pad (Fine abrasive) then follow up with the rubbing compounds.

All aluminium degrades quickly so a lacquer will extend the life of the finish.  I like Rustins Clear lacquer which you can get on line or in hardware shops.  It lasts for well over a year.  It is a wipe on an leave product - one swipe is all you need and it then dries perfectly flat.  A power-buff is always helpful.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

I've heard something called Nuvite II is supposed to be the dogs but I cant find it in the UK and it's not cheap either!

They use it on those big American ali motorhome camper things, Airstream is it?

Iancider

As we are kit builders perhaps we should make our own.
T
You can buy buffing polishes that you apply as a stick to you rotating buff and then apply it loaded to the metal.  See the link below for buffing bars - White (Tin Oxide) for Ali but if the sruface is well tarnished use Tripoli powder (Brown) first.  Use separate buffs for each and keep the surface moist as you buff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Endlessgreen-Buffing-Bar-for-Bench-polishing-machine-ideal-for-Dremel-110g-/141705959912?var=&hash=item20fe5559e8
Cotton/Buffs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-60-mm-CABBAGE-MOPS-FOR-METAL-POLISHING-KIT-CAR-BIKE-HOTROD-ALLOY-WHEELS-/391209595380?hash=item5b15e8b1f4

A super fine polishing powder is dead easy.  Talcum powder!  Add a few drops of baby oil or sunflower oil and a few drop of detergent.  Make a paste that is easy to apply.  Spray with water just before buffing and the mix will "mirror" Ali when you thought you already had a good finish.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Iancider on 19, August, 2015, 07:08:45 PM
T
You can buy buffing polishes that you apply as a stick to you rotating buff and then apply it loaded to the metal.  See the link below for buffing bars - White (Tin Oxide) for Ali but if the sruface is well tarnished use Tripoli powder (Brown) first.  Use separate buffs for each and keep the surface moist as you buff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Endlessgreen-Buffing-Bar-for-Bench-polishing-machine-ideal-for-Dremel-110g-/141705959912?var=&hash=item20fe5559e8
Cotton/Buffs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-60-mm-CABBAGE-MOPS-FOR-METAL-POLISHING-KIT-CAR-BIKE-HOTROD-ALLOY-WHEELS-/391209595380?hash=item5b15e8b1f4
Ian.... I also became interested in buffing polishes as I wanted to polish my stainless steel bodywork panels. Whence I got the right grade of polish correct the result were quite impressive. I found a normal mains electric drill to be about the right speed. A lot of forums seem to suggest angle grinders but I found them too fast.     

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 19, August, 2015, 07:08:45 PM
T

A super fine polishing powder is dead easy.  Talcum powder!  Add a few drops of baby oil or sunflower oil and a few drop of detergent.  Make a paste that is easy to apply.  Spray with water just before buffing and the mix will "mirror" Ali when you thought you already had a good finish.

So use the talcum powder mixture after you have used the buffing bars? Have you tried the talcum powder idea Ian?

I do wonder how well the talc mix would work on it's own without any other prior buffing etc?

Iancider

Talc is only a super polish and is useless for buffing.  Use it when just shiny is not enough!

It is particularly useful if you put a lot of effort into the buffing! ;D

Iancider

Gary RH7

Ian I had a look into this heating for seats and as you said it was for the hardy types without a roof 8) Is this what you meant :P

Moleman

I think I will stick to my heated body warmer.  :D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 03, September, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
I think I will stick to my heated body warmer.  :D

They make such a thing!!??  8) 8) Does it plug into your cigarette lighter socket?

Moleman

No it has a battery that last for about 4 hours.

Iancider

Gary - that is weird - Is that a flying seat overhead?

Ian

Gary RH7

Quote from: Iancider on 03, September, 2015, 06:19:56 PM
Gary - that is weird - Is that a flying seat overhead?

Ian

Its a heated seat for the hardy types without a roof. With the help of Photoshop 8)

benchmark51

I got one for the M-in-Law, but she wouldn't use it

Gary RH7

HAHAHA Love it :D

My previous M-in-Law was in one of these...it worked ;D

Iancider

paintman

Lol.....that made me chuckle!! :P :P

Moleman

Facial Hair Optional

Yeah I remember when my mum rang me to tell me my dad had a new electric chair and I said "you strap him in it and put the wet sponge on his head and I'll throw the lever!" She nearly wet herself!  ;D

Iancider

Vibratory cleaner - simple

I really like this idea and if I get some spare time I can see this being a possible.  Great for any restorers out there!

Ian

Iancider