News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Ratbag's new home

Started by benchmark51, 26, June, 2014, 09:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Well not quite yet. Got the frame partly built and have bought 0.8mm galvanised steel sheets to clad it with.
Having second thoughts on the design due to weight, I may have to modify it if it gets too heavy.
Turning into a bit of a project this, might put lights and alarm system powered by solar yet.  ;D ;D ;D

Moleman

So where are the pictures of it then?  ;D

benchmark51

All in good time. I am about to run out of gas so another hold up looms

chris61

You haven't got through that bottle already have you?!

Iancider

Acetylene or laughing gas?  ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: chris61 on 26, June, 2014, 10:07:08 PM

No, that was an empty one

Bulldog Bri

Thought I saw you floating around earlier :P

8)

chris61

Quote from: benchmark51 on 26, June, 2014, 11:37:58 PM
Quote from: chris61 on 26, June, 2014, 10:07:08 PM

No, that was an empty one

Balls sorry mate I was told they were all full, I thought by the weight of it it was

benchmark51

With the weather as it is, probably not going to get much done on Ratbags cover today.  :(
So have done the cooling problem instead and replaced the waterpump to radiator pipe work
with a Vulcaflex hose. It fits a treat, hopefully it will solve the overheating problem.
If I can grab a dry period today I'll go out and test it ;D

Hairy Santa

benchmark51

Thats a neat little tool!
I have some concerns about the weight and am trying to keep it down as much as possible.
The basic frame is made from 13mm angle (3mm) which isn't too heavey. The walls,roof and ends
is 0.8mm galvanised sheet which is fairly heavey.
When assembled it will be 13ft long, 6ft wide and 4ft high and x? kilos.
Hopefully I can tilt one end the 42 inches up to clear the highest point (rollbar).
If not, I will put a hinged access door at the back.
Plan is to make it one piece leave 1 end open and try it. Various brackets inside as it has to rest on the
front suspension top joints and roll bar and not touch the floor. Also a means to lock it. Fun eh?  ;D ;D

Iancider

Glad to hear the overheating may be licked at last.

Project RatbagPod:

I think hinging one side would be good.  If it is hinged on the long edge it will be easier to lift but if you had to hinge it on its short edge you could use a counterbalance.  Lets say it is hinged at the nose-cone end.  You chould build an outrigger of about 3 feet high running about 15-30 degrees off vertical and tilted forward of the car. Add to it a socking great weight.  If the pod is say 15 feet long then use about 5 times the total weight on a 3 foot arm.  Attach a cord or rod to the opening end so that you can control its movement.  If you hinge off the long edge it will be much easier to lift and you could use a counter-balance that is much lighter.  Counter-balance weights can be water tanks, Sand-tanks, concrete or bricks/concrete blocks.

The perfect hinges would be stainless steel Butts with bearings and these can be bought cheaply in Toolstation.  http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmongery/Hinges/EN1935+Grade+7+Ball+Bearing+Hinge+Pol+Chrome/d170/sd2270/p53535

If you mount the hinge-point a couple of inches above the ground-level then it will fall-back, safely leaning away from the car - enough to avoid a gust of wind knoking it over.

When counter-balanced, it is the hinges that take the load and not you.

Hope that is inspiring

Regards Ian

benchmark51

Interesting but, entry and exit will have to be from one end, as the car will roll in and out as required.
It will go in nose first and have an internal brackets to meet with the top joints on the suspension (I'm thinking a soft cup to contact the top joint). As the back is lowered the bracket/cup makes contact, lifting the front of the box off the ground. when fully lowered the box will rest on the roll bar, again using an internal bracket with a soft contact point.
However if the weight is too much then the back will need to be a hinged door of some sort.

The frame itself is welded up and appears quite flimsy and not heavy at all but when the galvanised sheets are bonded in that will change. Reinforcing strap (25mm x 3mm) on the inside as necc' at corners ect.

I suppose the only way to really know is to do it and see, can always make changes if needed.  ;D

Moleman

Still haven't seen any pictures yet?  ::) :P

Iancider

This is interesting - I think this is going to be a Transformer! :o :o :o :D ;D

Iancider

Hey - I just had a laugh.  I saw a vision of a project like Thunderbirds 3 - emerging out of the ground and the palm-trees folding back  ;D.  This could be a pit with gas spings  - drive on descend climb-out, shut the lid - simples.  This has dual function becasue should you pass-on we could bury you Egyptian syle with all of you treasures.  Very tidy don't you think? 8)

benchmark51

You been on them funny fags again? ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

Here's your next project :P

Just don't tell the landlord ;D

8)

Moleman

I want the yellow one.  8)

benchmark51

Hmm yes, but I'll finished this one first.  ;D

Iancider

Will this inspire you - go on you know you have to....

Sprint 7

Sort of a square ish Anderson Shelter I suppose for those of us who can remember them and don't say you're far too young Walnut!! :P :P :P :P

benchmark51

anyone got an electric jigsaw I can borrow please. I have some blades.

Bulldog Bri

I've got one you can borrow.  ;D What you cuttin'?

8)

benchmark51

Thanks, I'm cutting 0.8mm galvanised steel. I know will cut with shears , but 48" lengths and need to be fairly accurate. Can I come and get it?

Bulldog Bri

benchmark51

benchmark51

Had the first hint of a 'bitch' from my landlord today. Early days yet but waiting for the 'letter' to arrive.

Q-  What is it?
A-  A roof for my car.

Got the sides, front end and roof covered now. 10 inch pneumatic tyres on the front.
Using a pair of 8 inch caravan jockey wheels on the rear so I can steer it into position
(when they arrive).

It is heavy, so hinged door on the back for access. Internal brackets to fit between
car and box to be made when car is inside. ;D

Hairy Santa

Hope it's OK after all the effort your going to mate  :-X

Bulldog Bri

Time for some piccy's I reckon ;D

8)

Iancider

Well,

I reckon you should disguise it. Put some wheel arches on the wheels, paint it green and perhaps yellow at the front and maybe some chrome along the side?  :D ;D

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

Another way to disguise it would be to make it look like an old transit van bit wider then open rear doors and roll out ::)

8)

benchmark51

Unbelieveble! One of my neighbors had a letter yesterday to say the garage demolition program has been put on hold! This is pending a review by the executive team. Should they decide to resume demolition we will be given plenty of warning to enable us to find suitable alternatives. Well I have spent around £300 on the rathouse to date, so I will complete it and have a no pressure dry run using it. ::)

Moleman

Well if the garages stay you can sell it for a tidy profit mate.  8)

benchmark51

I need to mod the jockey wheels to operate them with a ratchet, but need 2 nuts that will fit over a 15 mm bar. Thought of asking here if anyone has any large nuts, but thought better of it. ;D ;D

Moleman

I'm guessing M15 thread. I will check in work mate.

benchmark51

Ok, thanks. While I'm on the scrounge(he he), if anyone has any industrial hacksaw blades around? Not new, but broken or worn out at least 8-9 inches long. I grind them down to make body chisels. On my last one, only about 4 inches left. Cheers
;D

Iancider

You should hone your body in a Gym - surgery with a sharpened hacksaw blade is just too radical! :o :o :o

Moleman

I have your nuts mate.  :-*