Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

BKCC Special Car Build

Started by Camber Dave, 27, April, 2015, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Camber Dave

Those of you who have been here on my open days will have seen the chassis Ben and I designed for him to do trackdays.
It has a full rollcage and low sides designed in to help the driver get in and out.

It became apparent that Ben's condition was advancing too fast for us to finish it for him.

I did offer it on eBay but it failed to reach the cost of materials.

Following Lucky Ed's post on the run he gave another Ben in his car and the ChairSlayer project I have decided to give the chassis to a BKCC project to build a car to enable people with mobility issues the chance to do track days in a light fast car.

I will also indulge myself with a special suspension set and further fabrication but the build is for you guys to get involved in.

I am sure that Ian would cover the build in CKC and it could be on the club or my stand at Stoneleigh to drum up interest.

We should be able to obtain all the parts and materials by donation so lets start by having a chat at the May 7th Riverside gathering.

Moleman

That is a really good idea mate.  8)

sanzomat

Happy to offer some labour time (for what its worth!)

Bulldog Bri

Good one Dave. Will enjoy watching the progress ;D

8)

Daley Down Under

paintman

Well done Dave, very worth-while project.....but do mine first!!!! ;D ;D

Moleman

Quote from: paintman on 27, April, 2015, 11:51:17 PM
Well done Dave, very worth-while project.....but do mine first!!!! ;D ;D
Show us the damage mate. How bad is it?

I don't think I will be able to spend any more time that I already do with car stuff to help build it but I can help with machining any small parts that need doing & we now have a shot blaster at work.  :)

Camber Dave

Thanks Sanzomat even 1/2 a day occasionally will help a lot.
It took me and Tim 3 Saturdays to alloy panel his Gemini.

Colin - perfect. Alloy rockers please.
I am thinking of doing pushrod suspension so the car can be changed from stiff and fast responding for experienced drivers to soft and forgiving for a nervous newbie. This can be done by moving the pushrod or damper to a different hole on the rocker to change its leverage.

Ben's mum rang me on Mon. She says that Ben wants to start a charity to share the car with others, like the patients he met at Stoke Manderville. Obviously depression is a huge problem with young people with life changing injuries. Kids like cars - so the opportunity to drive on track is dependant on families with huge budgets or technical parents with lots of time.

Eventually we will also need people to do printing of promotional material, and maintain a website.

My initial thoughts were to use an Automatic MX 5 as the donor.
But if we get together on PR, promotion and searching for trade donors we may be able to get a sequential flat shift box like they use on racing cars. That would open the engine options vastly.
A bike engine is the other option. Current users can advise as to their reliability for novice and one-off drivers.

You guys take this on. I would like it to be a club project. If we break this huge project into smaller modules, those with related experience can do just what they know and do best best.

fullpint

Dave; I cant fault my 98 blade lump.. All she asks for is fresh oil and the odd plug change  :D

Lucky Ed

As Dave and Ian already know, I'm very keen to get involved with this project after being so inspired by Ben and his Family. I think there should be enough expertise and enthusiasm within the club to get this done. Once Dave has worked his magic we could move the car to my place which could be a bit more convenient for people to get to. I'm happy do do as much as I can, but my spare time will be restricted more to the winter months, but I'd rather be tinkering in the shed than watching crap telly on those long winter evenings.

A couple of people from outside the club have already offered their help, and the general response to the idea has been very positive. Lets hope we, as a club can get this up and running and we'll have plenty to chat about on the 7th.

SPAXIMUS

This is a great idea, however, without wanting to be negative there are a lot of things to think about beyond the basics. Having converted cars in the distant past for disabled use, each disabled person has differing use of limbs. And when you convert for one person you tailor it for that person.
So if you are looking at those with no use of legs, but full function of upper body then hand controls are they way forward. The big but then is, how do you get the correct set up? Some have full use of upper body but are not as strong, how many of us after a trackday have aches and pains. Imagine that multiplied.
So power steering, with hand controls definitely servo brakes, Automatic makes it easier. Now if you want to make it a drift type car, then again it needs building with that in mind locked diff, hydraulic handbrake skinny tyres so you don't need huge power. Probably something too far, but with all the electronics on cars, in the past Saab built a car with a joystick control. Like a fighter control, push forward and it goes pull, back it stops. Push side to side and it steered, electronics make it all possible.

Seating that is adaptable for size as again some will have great upper body strength that will allow then to support their body easily in the seat, others will need a seat that has much more support.

And finally racing ahead, where to use it, i.e. drift is less accessible at the moment than "normal track days" and if handed over to a charity to operate, they would have all the usual public liability insurance to run it. If it is to be run by BKCC then we would need to sort that out as well.

What I would suggest is this, if Ben is sorting out a charity what sort of car does he want? Then how do we deliver that? We would need to have a clear plan so that when the "blagger" (Ken Robson?) starts trying to get bits from companies, we get what we need to do the job as companies like to see a plan that will get finished.

Nothing is unable to be overcome but it will not be simple to do something that is quality and fits all the needs of the most important, those who will come to drive it. Just my thoughts

Moleman

That is some good points to which will all have to be sorted before we start so we know which direction we will be going.  :)

'The Gaffer'

I really like this idea Dave.

Spaximus raises some good points though and as I work in the mobility industry I am more than aware of adaptions necessary to get a variety of people with disabilities behind the wheel of a vehicle of any kind, right down to access from a wheelchair. I also believe we need to know who the car will be most suited to and build to that. It would be almost impossible to build to all people with all disabilities.

Automatic would probably be easier with maybe other adaptions or bike engine with clutch-less up and down shifts with push buttons on steering wheel? Possibilities are endless really.

Sponsorship would be a great idea, TV and radio coverage, company advertising etc etc.

I would be happy to put my own time and some BKCC funds into producing and hosting a small project website if members agree.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 29, April, 2015, 10:18:12 PM
I really like this idea Dave.

Spaximus raises some good points though and as I work in the mobility industry I am more than aware of adaptions necessary to get a variety of people with disabilities behind the wheel of a vehicle of any kind, right down to access from a wheelchair. I also believe we need to know who the car will be most suited to and build to that. It would be almost impossible to build to all people with all disabilities.

Automatic would probably be easier with maybe other adaptions or bike engine with clutch-less up and down shifts with push buttons on steering wheel? Possibilities are endless really.

Sponsorship would be a great idea, TV and radio coverage, company advertising etc etc.

I would be happy to put my own time and some BKCC funds into producing and hosting a small project website if members agree.

Phil - if there was ever a website that was 100% suited to your extensive talents, its this one.  I'm in favour.

Cheers Adrian

Camber Dave

From Ed

"we could move the car to my place which could be a bit more convenient for people to get to. I'm happy do do as much as I can, but my spare time will be restricted more to the winter months, but I'd rather be tinkering in the shed than watching crap telly on those long winter evenings."

Exactly my thoughts - both points. Thanks

Spaximus
Good this is just what we need. Some focused discussions to identify the area's where we can achieve results and those to avoid.

Gaffer
Access - Rollover hoops and side bars already there to enable users to lift themselves out.
We also sketched side pods (covering Rear wheels and full width side impact bars) that would enable users to slide from a wheel chair into the seats with minimal assistance.
Ben & I considered all this for him to get in and out with weak lower limbs.

Iancider

A late response from me because I have been away for a couple of days. What a response already!  8) 8) 8)

We need a meeting to pool ideas and organise so what better place than 7th at the Riverside to kick-off - all ideas and offers welcome.  Dave has already suggested I should project manage this and I would be delighted to do so.  Also happy to put time into the build.

Here as some thoughts from me and comments on the ideas so far.  Full dual controls would be wise and fully adjustable pedal boxes.  The idea of a multi option seat is good and perhaps more than one type would be needed.  We should count on most drivers not having much upper body strength so PAS sounds wise.  We would need to think through how to get all forms into the car so that we do not hurt or embarrass them.  We also need to looks after ourselves when lifting an offset weight and some mechanical assistance is going to be helpful.  Limb restraints are necessary and multiple options would be required.  Some might have limited neck strength so a Hans Device or similar would help.  We would want something flexible that could take a driver to expert level but also be tame enough for a complete novice.  Steering suggests a yoke steering wheel with paddle shifters and override controls for the passenger to rescue things if everything goes out of shape.  A full harness will be essential and probably with the crotch strap to stop slipping down in the seat.

Funding:  these days this seems easier and we might end up with larger funding than we might expect when we go live.  We could do with somebody acting as fund and sponsor manager. Any Volunteer(s) for that role?  Thanks Ed for the facilities offer - that would be excellent and we will make sure you don't get over-burdened as a result.

Timing:  I would propose - next summer is a good target for roll-out.

I don't think there would be any lack of demand for this vehicle and I am happy to go big on its publicity as soon as we have found our feet.

What a great start - well done all!

Camber Dave

Well we have our Donor car.  Dave (Flipper) collected it with me this morning.

It is a 1.8 manual and was donated FREE. I just have to return the hood and wheels for their replacement car.
We started the engine and it sounded quite sweet when the oil got to all the right places. But then it stalled. It has broken its cambelt (Its been standing for a long time). The guys in the Garage here looked it up in the Book and normally there is no valve damage so here's to a quick fix.

All the body bits, trim and many of the electrical stuff is to be sold to raise working capital, so put the word around. I intend to trade the box for an automatic and flywheel.

Any members wishing to help strip it down to a rolling chassis are welcome.
PM me to check my diary or start a thread to arrange a gathering on a Sat.
I will do a BBQ with the local Burgers and sausages if that will 'grease the spanners'.

All volunteers welcome, Anyone like to list the stuff on eBay/Gumtree/other.

Camber Dave

CAR RUNNING AGAIN  :)

The Garage use a freelance Cam Belt man and he heard me talking about the project.
He pulled up, opened the bonnet and started doing the belt. Un-prompted!

I had a belt put aside to fit on my car and he had it fitted and running in less time than I took to remove a seat and some trim. :-[

So we can drive the car inside, put it on the lift to get stuff off the bottom.

Steve works mainly for garages and is based in Swindon.
He can be contacted on 07785985617
He did say that he would do cars at my place if it helps.

Moleman

Nice one Dave.  8) 

So who can help then? :)

Iancider

I will but I am committed for the next two Saturdays - as in tomorrow and next Saturday.

We could have a lot of fun with this.  We need to capture this in film as a bunch of use descend on it like a herd of vulture and strip clean in a day....!

If we gain any pictures at all I am keep to collect them all and keep a diary.  If you have some to send please PM me and I will send my e mail address to you so that you can send them as attachments.

this is going so well!

Regards
Ian

Iancider

I am also looking for somebody who could help us with some kind of sign board and/or banner to help promote the charity at the Combe on the 20th.  There is not long to make this.

Bulldog Bri - you kind offer of getting some photos done could really help here.  I am happy to craft a board but we need some form of poster or print or similar and then lamination to make it waterproof.

Any ideas or offers?

Regards
Ian

Iancider

VOLUNTEER REQUIRED - EBAY SELLER

When this MX5 is stripped we need a volunteer to sell the surplus parts on on ebay and gain as much as possible for them to provide core funding for the project.  The parts could be stored elsewhere and collected from there.  All we need is for somebody to commit to the selling arrangements but not necessarily having to store all of the parts.  if you could do both however that would be be brilliant too.

Iancider

VOLUNTEER REQUIRED - TREASURER

We could do with somebody to act as treasurer.  Money would be sent to you and banked in a dedicated account and you would re-imburse anybody for any expenditure or pay for it from funds.  A simple spreadsheet account is all the records we need to keep.

A volunteer in this case could be a trusted associate and does not have to be a current club member necessarily.

Regards
Ian

Moleman

For now I can sort out a board we can put photo's on & cover it with a clear plastic sheet for free.

Iancider

VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED - STRIPPERS URGENTLY NEEDED - SATURDAY JUNE 13th

Above you will see Dave's proposal to strip the MX5 donor car at a time when the club is quite busy so I am going to propose Saturday 13th June because we have a gap momentarily.

SO WHO'S UP FOR A STRIPATHON?  I think we could have up to a dozen employed without it becoming too crowded.  anybody who has already stripped an MX5 would be especially welcome.  tehre would also be peripheral roles to clean, catalogue, bag, label and take photos, catering, clearing and storing the bits.

Regards
Ian

Iancider

QuoteFor now I can sort out a board we can put photo's on & cover it with a clear plastic sheet for free.

Well done Colin - I will start collecting the Photos together.

Ian

SPAXIMUS

Really sorry guy's but I am away on that week on holiday.

Bulldog Bri

I'll see what we can do for printing a large poster. I will have a chat with them next week. ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

I will be there - workload permitting.

I am also happy to build and maintain a website in my own time for the project using my own and submitted content and images or content lifted from the build thread. Hosting, domain reg and site theme fee's to come from club funds if no one objects. I'd say about £80 for one year.

Domain name suggestions welcome.

Are there any social media gurus out there happy to set up feeds and spread the word on twitter, facebook etc?

Camber Dave

Great offer Phil

Good idea re Twitter etc.
I can't get into it - missed opportunity for the business - so I am told.
But we have to work with what we are familiar with.

Iancider

HOT NEWS

We had a planning meeting tonight and our guest of honour was Ben himself and accompanied by his parents Sam and Sue.  Ben is truly inspirational given the awful challenges he had had to endure.  While we were debating how he might get into the car and while I was trying to get my camera to wake-up he was already half way in.  Dave Gallop did a wonderful job setting up the chassis with a seat in it and set the chassis up at the right height.  I will post some pictures shortly.

VOLUNTEERS NEXT TWO WEEKS
In the mean time here is a hot urgency.  Helpers needed in the next couple of weeks.  Flipper and Sue have already volunteered to get started in the chassis priming.  And then not later than one week before the show we need to paint the top coat.  Bear in mind that the show is only three weeks away so we have only two weeks to paint it.  Please post here if you are wiling and able i the next two weeks day or evening and contact Dave Gallop directly to arrange.

VOLUNTEERS Saturday June 13th - Stripathon

We want to strip the Donor as much as possible in one day.  Up to a dozen people could help and it will be done in a day.  If we don't do it in a day anybody can offer any other time to go to Trackday Developments and have fun taking an MX5 apart.  We aim to sell everything that we don't use.

Regards
Ian

Iancider

ROLES agreed so far:

Project manager PR & Communications       IanCider
Web-meister                                                The Gaffer
Rolling Dynamics                                          Camber Dave
Oily bits manager                                         Luck/Ed
Bodywork                                                     Dynamic Mouldings
Ebay Seller                                                   SamC
Charity Promotion                                        SamC and SueC
Charity Representative                                Ben C himself
Charity Registration                                     IanCider
Charity management                                    The Trustees - 3-4 of us to be determined
Treasurer                                                      JuniorCider
Sponsorship manager                                  SamC and SueC - shared with others for the Technical bits
Technical Advisers                                        Spaximus, Camber Dave, AliWizard,  Dynamic Ed & team, Flipper, FullPint
Lead volunteer and Chief Whip                    Flipper
Head Stripper                                               Camber Dave
Twitterspehere                                             BenC, SueC, BenC
Making it happen manager                           Moleman

To be determined:
Purchasing manager
Technical sourcing and specification manager
Social Media manager

Services volunteered so far:
Fabrication and tank                                      AliWizard
Bodywork                                                      DynamicEd
Powder coating                                             FullPint
Photo prints                                                  Bulldog Bri
Signage                                                        IanCider, Moleman, Bulldog Bri
Painters                                                        Flipper, SueC MORE PLEASE!
Transporter                                                  Camber Dave
Ticketing                                                       IanCider
Storage                                                        Phase 1 Camber Dave, Phase 2 Lucky Ed, SamC for donor re-sale

Parts donors - many, to be listed later....

If you want to help but really cannot attend or provide hands-on time - good news  - there is loads you can do - PM me for some choices.

fletch_306

Unfortunately June and July may be a bust for me at the moment as I could be away for most of both months I'm so frustrated as every thing is on we may be doing this or that. I really want to help but it will most likely be August before I'm available.

Iancider

Fetch306

I know distance could be a challenge for you as well.  Most of the build will be in the Winter - in the summer it is about promotion and funding.  Tehrre will be some "remote" roles that would be useful like sourcing parts and the like if you would want to take those on.  Still plenty of opportunity to lend a hand.

Regards
Ian

fletch_306

Ian

I would happily help in whatever roles that I can whenever I can. Whether that is remotely or otherwise.

Fletch

Iancider

VOLUNTEERS WANTED SATURDAY JUNE 13TH AT TRACK DEVELOPMENTS

THE STRIPATHON - STRIP THE MX5 DONOR

Whether you help all day or part of a day there will be a role for you.  Bring some tools and get stuck in.  There will also be bagging labelling and cataloguing, wrapping, storage organisation and photography to do.

Please respond asap and if you know someone who can or will if you can't they will do.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Camber Dave

Chassis painters may also be required to top coat the chassis and stands for presentation at 'Combe on the 20th.

I am welding in a 3rd roof bar (grab handle) today and the primer coat will go on early next week.

Iancider

The charity has a name from this morning

GO! Inspire

And we have a logo

Don't forget to volunteer for Saturday June 13th

Gary RH7

Hi Ian,
I have to check with the wife first but pencil me in as I am close in Chippenham. I will confirm near the time.
I am up for anything you want me to do but don't ask me to get under the car then get up in a hurry. At my age it takes a little time. I can bring my tools also and camera.

Cheers,
Gary

Iancider